Walter Gresham Mansion/Bishop’s Palace At 1402 Broadway Avenue J.

The City of Galveston has proposed buying the Bishop's Palace, so it can be restored and kept open as a historical landmark.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3285464

Good for them!

The Bishop's Palace, also known as Gresham's Castle, is an ornate 19,082 square feet Victorian-style house, located on Broadway and 14th Street in the East End Historic District of Galveston, Texas.

The house was built between 1887 and 1893 by Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton for lawyer and politician Walter Gresham, his wife Josephine, and their nine children. In 1923 the Roman Catholic Diocese of Galveston purchased the house, and, situated across the street from the Sacred Heart Church, it served as the residence for Bishop Christopher E. Byrne.

• 1 year later...

During the 1900 Storm at Galveston the Gresham place, now called The Bishop's Palace came through pretty well. It is steel reinforced stone, but it is also on Broadway. The orphanage which was about where Walmart is now, back before the seawall, got wiped out. But I don't think it was steel and stone. I wonder if a tornado could be what knocked it down, or was it the water? Would the Gresham house have survived the storm if it was way out there, and right near the beach?

• 11 months later...

From KTRK:

Just last month, the foundation reached an agreement with the archdiocese to maintain and become the administrator of the property. However, the foundation wants to own it out-right. Something they are negotiating now with the archdiocese. Neither side will say how much the asking price is.

In a written statement, the Galveston-Houston Archdioceses says, "If those monies are not raised, that opens the opportunity for another entity to consider the purchase of the building."

And it's at the top of the house where Jones says the biggest problems exist.

"You get a view with some of the issues with the roof and the complexity of the roof," Jones said.

The tiles have been falling off. They are original tiles and many were handmade. They must all be removed to repair the aging and in some parts, leaking roof. Intricate designs such as a griffin are deteriorating.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5893736

We went through the house on Saturday. About 40 volunteers were doing major cleaning - inside and out. Polishing wood, polishing the fireplace fixtures, cleaning light fixtures, polishing the silverware, dusting on tops of door frames, cleaning window. Not sure if it had to do with the current issues or was just regular maintenance. We did notice, however, that the place was in need of some attention - trim painting being the most apparent. (I didn't get up on the roof to check it out. ^_^ )

It's a great edifice and a great example of a more gracious period. I particulalrly like the stonework on the outside. I snapped some shots of the (outside only, as allowed) and will upload later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Photo: Bishop's Palace Galveston
  • The title was changed to Walter Gresham Mansion/Bishop’s Palace At 1402 Broadway Avenue J.

Archived