Houston Radio And Beyond

matty1979

I was curious about y'alls recollection when it came to classic Houston radio contests. What are some that stick out in your mind?

It always seemed like it was a "4 pack" to the movies or season passes to Astroworld.

Did anyone actually EVER win concert tickets?

I remember those radio contests and the interviews they had with the people after and they always sounded so orchestrated by whatever DJ was working that night.

Seems like KRBE had some kind of "say it and win" contest in the 70's &80's

Love to get some feedback!

Your chances of winning something were much greater back then.  Today, most big prizes are shared among a group of radio stations.  For example, you might need to be caller 100 to get the tickets to see a particular concert in Austin, but you're calling in for the same pair of tickets at the same time as people listening to a dozen or more other radio stations from Dallas to Corpus.  It's totally lame these days.

Back in the old days I worked with a morning show DJ who was well known in his market for his great contests.  He made them super easy.  When I asked him why his contests were so easy to win, he said the whole point of the exercise isn't to keep tickets away from the listeners, it's to give away as many tickets as possible.  He wasn't playing gatekeeper, he was trying to make people happy.

Maybe it's just my stingy nature that made me think the wrong way around on that.

I never won anything on the radio, but in the early 80's  when Warner Cable was in business they had a cable channel where they would post community announcements.  They would post contest to send in a post card to win concert tickets, or Astros tickets.  I think I must have been the only one to look at that channel, because in a one month period I won tickets for 2 Astros games, a Van Halen Concert and a Chicago concert.  They cut me off after that, but it sure was fun while it lasted!

I remember in 1963 (when I was in HS) there was a contest where if you spotted the KILT (I think) mobile broadcast truck you were put on the air....I won a big prize, $10!

There was another contest where you submitted a list of all the words you could make out of T H E  B E A T L E S. A buddy and I came up with 44 words, but the winner was 46....

KILT had a contest in the 70s where they called people picked at random out of the phone book, and if they answered the phone with "KILT is gonna make me rich", they won a cash prize. Can't remember the amount, but it was pretty significant for the time, and like the lottery, the jackpot may have kept increasing every time someone didn't win it. As a regular KILT listener, I almost drove my family crazy for a while insisting that they answer the phone with the magic words.

My dad was working nights at the time, and one day when the phone rang in the middle of the afternoon, it woke him up and he answered groggily with a mumbled "Hello?" Of course, it had to be KILT calling. I was so disappointed that we missed out, after weeks of answering every call with what would have been the winning phrase. 

A colleague of mine I think won concert tickets from KLOL, but I don't remember what specific concert.  This was a huge deal for him since he practically worshiped Moby, who I'm sure a lot of folks remember, and we got to go to the studios in the old Fannin Bank Building on Holcombe.  

Myself, I won something once from that old station that played oldies and beautiful music (forget the station ID).  That gives away my exciting youthful musical tastes!   ^_^

On edit:  It was KQUE.  They used to run trivia questions.

I kind of remember 93Q in the late 80'snight early 90's having a deal where you could win a Porsche every week over several weeks.

I also remember Magic 102 "gold cards" in about 1989. Cannot seem to remember the way it worked but I did have a gold card!

It was fun back then when all the radio stations phone numbers began with 390-####...

The reason all the stations had 390 numbers is because that is a "choke exchange".  Choke exchanges are not used as much these days, but many stations still have the same numbers.  Basically what a choke exchange was designed to do was prevent the landline system (when everyone actually had one) from being overloaded when radio and tv stations would have call in contests that had hundreds if not thousands of people trying to call in at once.   

Generally speaking, your chances of winning a prize are inversely proportional to the value of the prize. If the prize is a pair of concert or baseball game tickets, they're easy. The cheaper the prize, the better the odds. They'll give away dozens of tickets in the weeks leading up to the event. If they're giving away a big prize like a Jeep Cherokee or a Love Boat cruise to the Caribbean, all entries go into a hopper for a single drawing with only one winner.

There was a huge promotion for 79Q at the Central Bank Building back in 1982 when John Lander asked people to show up in front of the bank building to help them celebrate the launch of 92.5 (now 92.9) KYND as the FM simulcast of the extremely successful 790am. The people showed up with underwear on their head! I imagine it took a few bank customers and oil men by surprise. I think there's a recording of most of that one on YouTube.

ricco: what part of town are you listening from? I always have a hard time picking up 92.1 in the house or in the car, but I'm up north of the Belt and the farther north you go, the worse it gets since its signal is coming from down near Seabrook.

Yep, still 610 KILT is still there, it just ain't "Big" anymore.....

I'll see your KILT, and raise you a K-NUZ. Dial it up! 1-2-3 on your radio.

Or how about something "Beautiful"?

"All throughout the streets of Houston, mannequins stare blankly out the windows, while people hurriedly walk to their cars, so they can return home to their family, faithfully tuned in to the beautiful sounds of KXYZ music coming from the radio!"

AM radio used to be fun....

I never won anything on the radio, but in the early 80's  when Warner Cable was in business they had a cable channel where they would post community announcements.  They would post contest to send in a post card to win concert tickets, or Astros tickets.  I think I must have been the only one to look at that channel, because in a one month period I won tickets for 2 Astros games, a Van Halen Concert and a Chicago concert.  They cut me off after that, but it sure was fun while it lasted!

lol...I remember those channels...loud colors with that basic font...

• The title was changed to Houston Radio And Beyond

Archived