Oldest House In Houston In Its Original Location

RonB

I am aware of two Houston houses in their original location dating to 1875, one on the southwest corner of Silver and Lubbock, and the Klunkert house at 2911 Julian. I believe both have historical markers of some kind. Tonight I was told that the house on the northwest corner of Dickson and Roy, or more accurately the square box center part of the house, dates to just after the civil war, maybe 1868.  the house fronts on Roy.  I could not see an address on the house.  Does anyone have a way to check the age of this house?

I was also told this neighborhood developed as housing for domestic help for nearby River Oaks.  Does anyone know anything about this?

5100 Dickson is the address. It looks like it's on the 1922 topo map at http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/houston_nw22.jpg. HCAD says it was built in 1920, but those records are often wrong. I doubt it was built in 1868, though. No real hard evidence for that feeling.

As far as I can tell, that area developed before River Oaks did. There's nothing on the topo map indicating any structures in River Oaks in 1922.

5100 Dickson is the address. It looks like it's on the 1922 topo map at http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/houston_nw22.jpg. HCAD says it was built in 1920, but those records are often wrong. I doubt it was built in 1868, though. No real hard evidence for that feeling.

As far as I can tell, that area developed before River Oaks did. There's nothing on the topo map indicating any structures in River Oaks in 1922.

River Oaks was developed in the mid-late 1920's.

• 4 weeks later...

Several years ago the city's historic preservation office sifted through early deeds/tax records and came up with a list of all extant structures in Houston that were built prior to 1895, and the house on Dickson wasn't on it. It does have boxcar siding which is typical of the late 1880's-early 1890's. (Several houses in Old Sixth Ward have that siding).   This means it was likely relocated from elsewhere.  The property at 5100 Dickson was originally the Brunner Addition which was first platted out in 1888 and the lots immediately put up for sale.

According to the city's research, the oldest documented privately-owned house in Houston still on its original site is at 1904 Kane in the Sixth Ward, built in 1866.  Even though it has been altered, it still retains its early Gulf Coast Colonial/Acadian style such as inset porch and flush gables.  There is a somewhat identical house around the corner at 1819 Lubbock which is nearly a decade older but was recently relocated from the First Ward.  It is believed to be the oldest surviving privately-owned residence in Houston

• 4 months later...

http://blibman.wix.com/ricemilitary#!history/c11pc

page 2, see Brunner section, paragraph 4... looks like the house on Dickson (previously Pine) was directly across from Daniel C. Dickson (wood dealer) house... per 1895-96 City Directory... great research...H.Neal Parker.

The homes can be seen on the 1940's aerial maps (GoogleEarth) 

Several years ago the city's historic preservation office sifted through early deeds/tax records and came up with a list of all extant structures in Houston that were built prior to 1895

Can I access this info on-line? While my deed states my house was built in 1920, I've seen the micro files of phone directories that show names of residents listed in 1894. That was the last date available for directories at the time.

HCAD's build date entries for older structures are notoriously unreliable.  In particular, 1920 seems to be a popular estimated build date for anything that can fairly be described as "pretty old."

• 5 months later...

http://search.har.com/engine/1410-Goliad-St-Houston-TX-77007_HAR58114124.htm

1410 Goliad... this one has GOT to be much older than 1930's... a Very similar house from AIA Arch. Guide, 2nd. edition shows a San Felipe Cottage w/ build date of yr. 1868, same side gables, full front porch. It's a pity to see it disappear. The First Ward.  

• The title was changed to Oldest House In Houston In Its Original Location?
  • The title was changed to Oldest House In Houston In Its Original Location

Archived