Furr's North Freeway

Well, as of last night, so did we. Let me tell you, as a regular patron of the old Furr's Cafeteria, this is not the Furr's of yesteryear. Gone is the cafeteria concept, now an every man for himself buffet.

The service was okay, but I could've gotten up to refill my own Big Red, instead of waiting for the little girl to finish up her chit chat with two of the other girls working the other sections of the floor.

The food was moo, not what I remember from the old days, but they had a pretty decent salad bar (that pleased the wife) and desserts coming out of their ears. We paid almost $35 for the two of us, and while that's not terribly bad, IMO, the food and service don't justify a return trip to the restaurant.

We're going to try Juan & Lefty's right behind it next week, it looked interesting.

• 1 month later...

I have not eaten at this establishment, but pass by it twice a day on the commute to and from work. My carpool mates had not heard of the Furr's name, but I  thought it might be related to the Furr's Cafeteria chain from my younger days (mid 70's, 80's). Based on purpledevil's comment it sounds like it might be the same brand, though the business model is now completely different.

A group of us dined there after it was opened for about a week. It was fresh fair at a reasonable price. The selections were many and kept being replenished regularly. My favorites were the salad bar, the collard greens and garlic mashed potatoes. About a month later, another group of us dined there. Not so many selections, very crowded, and not as enjoyable. Fast forward another three months, and in order to accommodate my more economically challenged side of the family, I planned a get together there. It was a 180 difference from my first experience. A free for all, sloppy presentations, heat lamped to death food, horrible service and they had raised the price of dinner. Was severely disappointed. Reminds me of new Chinese buffets. First month is decent, then it turns to crap. Sigh.

• 2 months later...

Someone is going into the vacant Furr's on I-45 at Louetta. Don't know what the name or restaurant concept will be, but they have applied for a Mixed Drink Permit from the TACB.

Archived