Hov

My morning commute generally isn't that pleasant of an experience, as I'm sure the rest of you also know too well. For the past month, I constantly find myself putting along behind someone who's riding alone. A few weeks ago, I was just plain fed up with it and I start calling them into 921-HERO. I realize on their site they only send out letters to these people "explaining the rules of the HOV lane," but is there no way to get the police to monitor the HOV like the used to? (Seems like a real money maker to me.) Do they really send out a ticket to this person after they've been called in three times?

Edit: For the record, I always have at least two people in my car, but usually three.

My question to HAIF is... How many of you use the 921-HERO number? How often are you stuck behind the guy who's driving alone or driving alone and going 50mph so he won't be "pulled over"? Do you wish you could send them a bill for $250 for lost time at work?

Rant away...

Sorry, Kirz, I probably have used the HOV lane 2 or 3 times in the entire time I've lived in Houston, since 1977. However, when I used to live in the burbs, it used to burn me up seeing those solos on the HOV while I was stuck in the mainlanes.

I used to concoct ways to get back at these cheaters. My favorite would be to stand at one end of the HOV with a camera, so I could get a pic of the front license plate and the jerk driving.

Alas, who has the time to do that (other than Metro officers)?

Alas, who has the time to do that (other than Metro officers)?

That's true. My only thing is that two years ago (my first summer of Internship in Houston) I did the bus thing. Every afternoon, there was a line into the HOV lane because cops were camped there just pulling people over. There'd be as many and five cars to one side and two officers writing tickets and one officer checking cars. I guess solo-drivers stopped getting into the HOV for awhile after that and then the cops stopped? ... Naturally, once the coast was clear, they just went back to their old habits.

I say give the Metro officers the ability to do that. (Instead of wasting their time and mine snoozing in their cars and asking me not to bring my [clean] dog onto the lighrail.)

They used to monitor the northwest Transit center at I-10 and Post Oak very closely nabbing the 290 HOV violators. They would always have at least 1 car pulled over including a dummy someone was using as their second rider. I heard the tickes are very expensive (~$200), so it seems like you could put a rookie cop there to right out tickets as a big money maker. I just don't get it.

One thing I always thought about and may be the case with some of the "single riders" you see are babies in the car. My 1 year old has been either the 2nd rider (we utilized Quickride on some days) and our 3rd rider when my wife and I commuted together about 7-10 day per month as the daycare was in my wife's office building. I know it doesn't remove a car from the road, but if the kid counts, then we were going to use the rules to our advantage.

If both parents are working and taking their kids in to daycare, I don't see how that can be any sort of violation. I sure wouldn't count it as such. But as far as Casual's comment goes, those soccer moms are rushing off to the mall or to get her nails done. Seriously, you can sit an hour in traffic. I sure as heck would. There's no reason for her to be able to get into the HOV. Especially if she's only going to go 50 mph. :angry:

(Of course, you can't descriminate with this one - I'm sure it will eventually count kids or won't.)

I guess I'm one of those who takes the HOV with my daughter in the back...gee, should I feel bad? 'Cause I don't!! :lol:

What's funny is the perception here...most moms I know aren't getting on the HOV to get their "nails done" or go "to the mall"...at least I'm not. ;)