I-45 Expansion Through The Heights

Not up on the tech thing, but check out this article on the proposed I-45 expansion through the Heights:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3280151

Basically, the residents threw a tantrum at the meeting. Looks like they got a few good shots in against TxDot.

I am refreshed to see some coverage on this. It may indicate some (read: a little bit) of traction against the traditional deference to TxDot. The fact is that TxDot has created a cloud over the entire stretch of the Heights between Studemont and I-45, because North Main is the buffer between the neighborhood and the freeway. The commercial buildings on North Main are also very quaint (if also underutilized). TxDot should make a statement that they will respect the current integrity of the neighborhood to remove the pall.

I-10 is a big enough disaster to the Heights . . . We don't need I-45 to add to the problem.

It could be Residents 179, TxDOT 0, and the project would still get built. Public meetings are meaningless to these guys. There is no actual govt. mechanism wherein the residents can stop this thing. They basically just need to raise hell until somebody like Bill White and Houston City Council steps in and takes action.

If you look at the proposal, I-45 will be widened from 75 yards to 131 yards. That means all those landscaped embankments, all those trees, everything you see along there will be gone, and it will look like the Eastex Freeway. I think this is one of Houston's most (and last) charming freeways, and it would be a shame for this to happen, to say nothing of how the historic neighborhoods around it will be affected.

TxDOT is claiming no extra right-of-way. They are probably going to follow in the mode of the Central Freeway in Dallas and build vertical walls and maybe some overhand feeder roads. This is for the area from I-10 to I-610.

I'm all for the project. The portion of the freeway is completely out of date with today's standards and any truck traffic has detour on a portion of it because of a low overpass.

In the end Heights is performing a lot belly aching and if they truly look the project over it doesn't really affect them at all.

• 1 year later...
How?

I am about ready to call a WAAAAAMBULANCE for the Heights peeps. There must be more NIMBY per square mile than any other part of Houston.

What do ya mean "how?" :huh:

i45_n_main_looking_s_20-may-2001_lres.jpg

45_downtown.jpg

And if them views of downtown Houston with the greenery aren't charming, I don't know what is. I rather have at least another freeway other than the Katy that has greenery and downtown views all in one instead of the uncharming concrete syndrome virus that has been spreading forever.

The portion of the freeway is completely out of date with today's standards and any truck traffic has detour on a portion of it because of a low overpass.

I remember the old US59 (the section stupidly known as Senator Lloyd Bentson Highway), before the really cool arch bridges were built, you could see where the 18 wheeler's trailer would knock out a huge chunk of concrete because the overpass was too shallow.

I remember the old US59 (the section stupidly known as Senator Lloyd Bentson Highway), before the really cool arch bridges were built, you could see where the 18 wheeler's trailer would knock out a huge chunk of concrete because the overpass was too shallow.

Yeah, who would have thought that the "hazard" street bridge was named so appropriately?

One of the more spectacular ones was when some poor trucker was probably not paying too much attention and peeled off the roof of the trailer. :)

I think before they expand or improve anything, everything fronting 45 from Willis south all the way to downtown should pretty much be demolished. What a terrible way to enter a city. Worse yet is it's my only reasonable route in.

your name is appropriate in this case.

There would be some serious crying as far as that went. What I think they should start doing soon is making the freeways a double decker. The freeways can only get so wide.

while I'm not an engineer (duh!) I think it would be great if at certain points it would turn into an expressway so traffic heading to I-10 or 610 would have it's own lanes so it would minimize merging.

What happened to the tunnel concept?

What they need most is a downtown bypass. Many people going on I-45 are heading right through central Houston.

This is where ricco67's Double Decker plan could come into effect.

The Upper level/s would be "express" with very minimal on * off ramps. Or make one Level going one way and another going the other way.

I think before they expand or improve anything, everything fronting 45 from Willis south all the way to downtown should pretty much be demolished. What a terrible way to enter a city. Worse yet is it's my only reasonable route in.

Get Easy Tag and get on the Hardy - traffic flows much better and there aren't as many on/off ramps eliminating the merge problems that Ricco mentions.

What happened to the tunnel concept?

What they need most is a downtown bypass. Many people going on I-45 are heading right through central Houston.

Just don't hire the guys who built the Big Dig.

TXDOT had proposed a plan earlier to reroute 45 between IH-10 and the Pierce Elevated. It would have gone west of the current freeway and not have as many curves. But I'm sure it's dead.

Archived