It's a conspiracy, I tell ya....

Marcus Allen

Well, no I don't actually think it is a conspiracy. Just wanted to capture interest. A legit question. So, SA is the 2nd largest city in TX, so why aren't there more skyscrapers? Thoughts? Lots of infill yes, but where is the 50 or 60 story tower?

Well, no I don't actually think it is a conspiracy. Just wanted to capture interest. A legit question. So, SA is the 2nd largest city in TX, so why aren't there more skyscrapers? Thoughts? Lots of infill yes, but where is the 50 or 60 story tower?

. And I didn't place this under the SA thread on purpose. I thought those following that would only appreciate development news, not my late night musings.

Probably because San Antonio is not a big business city like Houston or Dallas.  Austin's tallest buildings are residential - since its become "cool" to live there.

San Jose, San Diego and Phoenix are all big cities and none of them have any really tall buildings.

Personally I think aside from the work done in the 1930s San Antonio's highrise architecture is quite bland.  Not bad, just kind of dull.

Got it. So SA gobbled up land, not necessarily the population to go with it to compete with Dallas or Austin. By that I mean, enough of a business population to warrant a corporate driven tower. Makes sense. I was just curious. and thanks for the comparison to those other cities, which may have a million plus pop, but no supertalls. Hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it. So, IF SA were to get a 50 or 60 plus storey tower, do you all think it would be corporate or residential in function? Or multi-use? I understand wind and solar farms are springing up around that area of TX, but that doesn't necessarily mean those alternative energy Corp headquarters would land in SA. Am i correct in this assumption?

Got it. So SA gobbled up land, not necessarily the population to go with it to compete with Dallas or Austin. By that I mean, enough of a business population to warrant a corporate driven tower. Makes sense. I was just curious. and thanks for the comparison to those other cities, which may have a million plus pop, but no supertalls. Hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it. So, IF SA were to get a 50 or 60 plus storey tower, do you all think it would be corporate or residential in function? Or multi-use? I understand wind and solar farms are springing up around that area of TX, but that doesn't necessarily mean those alternative energy Corp headquarters would land in SA. Am i correct in this assumption?

Yes, Houston is an alternative energy hub as well. I would think if they did build something tall it would be mixed use (Hotel & Condo). I actually like their shorter skyline with the Tower of the Americas as their tallest. It's charming. And looked 10xs better than Austin circa 2004.

Yes, the ToA gives it a Toronto like feel, so I would keep that as their tallest. I would just like to see some more scrapers in the DT area. Looking at it from this standpoint; " and here is TX 2nd largest city", scene shows SA and then that is what the US has in their collective minds as our idea of a metropolis, when obviously Dallas and even Austin look more urban and cosmopolitan.

Yes, the ToA gives it a Toronto like feel, so I would keep that as their tallest. I would just like to see some more scrapers in the DT area. Looking at it from this standpoint; " and here is TX 2nd largest city", scene shows SA and then that is what the US has in their collective minds as our idea of a metropolis, when obviously Dallas and even Austin look more urban and cosmopolitan.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Tower of the Americas...  San Antonio doesn't have the major highrises like Houston and Dallas because - its not a business destination like DFW and Houston.  If anything it is always going to be in both of those cities shadows for major business relocations and construction of large scale projects.  The airport is already just a connection piece for Houston and Dallas - and that is a hinderance to me.

Austin's tallest buildings are residential and hotel.  Just like San Antonio it won't have the teeth to challenge Houston or Dallas on the commercial side possibly ever.  Obviously both DFW and greater Houston hold about 14 million people compared to the 4-5 million or so that Austin and San Antonio combinded have (that's being generous).

San Antonio is doing a good job of building added density just north of Downtown along Broadway - and that's great for them.  Infill will draw more reasons to have business downtown particularly if it is residential in nature and helps to create a 24/7 environment.  I don't think they'll ever see a 50 floor building, but I wouldn't be surprised if they some time got a 40 floor building (commerically speaking)

I'm not the biggest fan of the Tower of the Americas...  San Antonio doesn't have the major highrises like Houston and Dallas because - its not a business destination like DFW and Houston.  If anything it is always going to be in both of those cities shadows for major business relocations and construction of large scale projects.  The airport is already just a connection piece for Houston and Dallas - and that is a hinderance to me.

Austin's tallest buildings are residential and hotel.  Just like San Antonio it won't have the teeth to challenge Houston or Dallas on the commercial side possibly ever.  Obviously both DFW and greater Houston hold about 14 million people compared to the 4-5 million or so that Austin and San Antonio combinded have (that's being generous).

San Antonio is doing a good job of building added density just north of Downtown along Broadway - and that's great for them.  Infill will draw more reasons to have business downtown particularly if it is residential in nature and helps to create a 24/7 environment.  I don't think they'll ever see a 50 floor building, but I wouldn't be surprised if they some time got a 40 floor building (commerically speaking)

Yeah it's not the most architecturally striking observation tower ever, but it fits. I would like to see some solid light-blue glass buildings, maybe 30-40 stories... would be a great contrast to the earth tones & browns of their current skyline. and 4-5 million is WAY too generous.

Archived