Condos In The Heights - Flooding Issues?

mars05

Hi All-

I am looking to purchase my first home and found some condos. that seem to fit with what I would like - mostly location and price range. However, in the seller's disclosure statement there was a note about flooding that occurred during tropical storm Allison. Does anyone know anything else about these condos. - The Park at White Oak? I couldn't find this area to be considered a flood zone on FEMA's maps, and flooding insurance is not required for these. Any advice, information would be great help! Thanks.

Hi All-

I am looking to purchase my first home and found some condos. that seem to fit with what I would like - mostly location and price range. However, in the seller's disclosure statement there was a note about flooding that occurred during tropical storm Allison. Does anyone know anything else about these condos. - The Park at White Oak? I couldn't find this area to be considered a flood zone on FEMA's maps, and flooding insurance is not required for these. Any advice, information would be great help! Thanks.

Those condos are some of the best priced inside the loop considering their close location to downtown. My opinion is that they are priced that way because of the flooding. I understand that the condos in the lower half of that complex took on water during Allison. The bayou was out of it's banks last week along White Oak.

You should consider resale. Many locals know the area takes on water and may not consider them when they are shopping for property. Your target audience to sell to is less because of that. Therein the lower price.

Check out HAR.com, condo/townhouse, area 16 (downtown to the west loop) and area 9 (north of 10).

Area 4 (east of downtown) has some very interesting loft conversions in that price range (Herrin Lofts).

It's just my opinion, right or wrong.

Good luck!

Parts of the city experienced beyond a 500-year event.

A 100-year event is about 12.5 inches of rain in 24 hours or about 4 inches in 1 hour.

A 500-year event is around 15-16 inches in 24 hours.

Parts of Houston received close to or over 35 inches of rain. No one can prepare or prevent flooding from this kind of event.

If you choose to buy in an area that you has flooded...at least buy flood insurance! If you're in the floodplain, I believe it's around $2000/yr, but if you're outside the floodplain it should be closer to $300/yr.

Go to www.tsarp.org to check your property. You can see if it's in the current floodplain or the proposed floodplain, which should be in effect mid-year next year.

And if you are in White Oak watershed. The floodplain will change again after the release of the final TSARP maps as permanent because of the upstream improvements just inside the Beltway along the bayou.

And if you are in White Oak watershed.  The floodplain will change again after the release of the final TSARP maps as permanent because of the upstream improvements just inside the Beltway along the bayou.

Is that the Jersey Village bypass channel and the new regional detention sites around Fairbanks-N Houston?