Lot By Hike And Bike Trail

Heightsite

Oh no! We can't have density and urbanity within the Heights! That must be built on the other side of I-10.

I've ridden by this lot half a dozen times since the thread was first posted. It looks like trees were cut and stumps grinded, so I would suggest a home will be built there, given that nothing else would fit.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've heard that the City of Houston recently purchased this land and will develop it into some sort of water detention park.  Curious what this really means.  Is it a park that people can actually use to play in, etc. or is basically just land owned by the City.

Thanks.

I've heard that the City of Houston recently purchased this land and will develop it into some sort of water detention park.  Curious what this really means.  Is it a park that people can actually use to play in, etc. or is basically just land owned by the City.

Thanks.

Go take a look. Its there now. I am unsure if it is usabl as a park... maybe

Go take a look. Its there now. I am unsure if it is usabl as a park... maybe

I was under the impression there is a warehouse, etc. there now that is getting torn down and some sort of redevelopment will take place. I also thought this occurred in the past six months or so. Ias that not the case?

TxDOT completed a giant detention pond between Rutland, the bike path, White oak Bayou and Waverly/Warehouses.  There was talk about making into a park, but City of Houston would have to pay fair TxDOT market value for it.  There was also talk about adding some park amenities (trail, benches) and having the City maintain it.  That never went anywhere.  Where it left off was that TxDOT agreed to leave it in a "park ready" condition, meaning that they will not fence it off and will perform minimal maintenance on it.  So, you can walk all the way around the detention pond, but the ground is a bit lumpy (not great for a run). 

The warehouses just north of the bike trail around Tulane and Ashland are going to be torn down and replace by @50 Sullivan Brothers homes.  The first few on Tulane are currently under construction. 

The Freedman Distributor warehouse is supposed to be redeveloped (torn down) into a multifamily project.  The City may require detention if they increase impervious cover by more than one acre.  So, it might be possible that the City is going to use some of the development fees to buy some of the property and turn it into a park that includes a detention pond for the developers.  That sounds like a typical City of Houston sweetheart deal.

TxDOT completed a giant detention pond between Rutland, the bike path, White oak Bayou and Waverly/Warehouses. There was talk about making into a park, but City of Houston would have to pay fair TxDOT market value for it. There was also talk about adding some park amenities (trail, benches) and having the City maintain it. That never went anywhere. Where it left off was that TxDOT agreed to leave it in a "park ready" condition, meaning that they will not fence it off and will perform minimal maintenance on it. So, you can walk all the way around the detention pond, but the ground is a bit lumpy (not great for a run).

The warehouses just north of the bike trail around Tulane and Ashland are going to be torn down and replace by @50 Sullivan Brothers homes. The first few on Tulane are currently under construction.

The Freedman Distributor warehouse is supposed to be redeveloped (torn down) into a multifamily project. The City may require detention if they increase impervious cover by more than one acre. So, it might be possible that the City is going to use some of the development fees to buy some of the property and turn it into a park that includes a detention pond for the developers. That sounds like a typical City of Houston sweetheart deal.

Thanks for the information, very informative.

• The title was changed to Lot By Hike And Bike Trail

Archived