Airstream As Guest House/Office?

lowndes

Hi, hope everybody is doing great.  This past weekend I visited a couple of friends in Austin who had a craftsman bungalow with an Airstream in the backyard that they used as a guest house/office space.  Then when they want to go camping or on a road trip they would pull it out and be ready to go.  I thought it was incredible looking and they had landscaping, etc. around the trailer and just thought it added some cool character to their house.

Anyhow, this has gotten me thinking about doing something at our bungalow here in the Heights. Only concern I have is whether neighbors would think this is an eyesore.  What would you think if somebody used an Airstream as a guest house in their backyard here in the Heights?

Thanks!

I'm saddened that you feel compelled to ask. You have already stated that you thought it looked cool, and I suspect that you would do something similar. Why would you care that some nosy neighbor with no sense of style might not like it?

To answer your question, on my block we would not condemn your decision. There are many Heights blocks who do not practice the "live and let live" ethos, however. Some post here.

just put it in your front yard, scatter some car parts around, and use tires as flower beds.

jk

I have thought about renovating a mid century Airstream.  I would use it as office/guest space for sure... I don't think i'd bother to have water/sewer hookup so it might be inconveinent for someone to sleep there. 

This past weekend I visited a couple of friends in Austin who had a craftsman bungalow with an Airstream in the backyard that they used as a guest house/office space. Then when they want to go camping or on a road trip they would pull it out and be ready to go. I thought it was incredible looking and they had landscaping, etc. around the trailer and just thought it added some cool character to their house.

I'd rather see an Airstream than someone's beat-up old boat or project car, and even then it would be none of my business what you store in your backyard.

One thing to be mindfull of would be to make sure that the shiny Airstream trailer does not reflect on to your neighbor's bedroom window, etc.

This thread has really got me thinking...   I could cut and redesign one of the 17-18fters and use superlightweight materials and probably come in under 2,000 lbs which would be light enough to tow with my Wrangler.  Hrm....  I have some really slick ideas for this.

• The title was changed to Airstream As Guest House/Office?

Archived