Best Neighborhood In Town According To CNN/Money

innerloop

Other than going 5 houses down I don't ever believe I've come to the conclusion that walking was a better choice.

Along with evolving with the automobile we've also invented something called valet parking. If you prefer walking to driving because the though of trying to find a parking space cause untold anxiety then I would recommend trying out valet service some time. It's quiet a rush.

Last I checked, Tacos Agogo didn't have a valet, much less most of the businesses around White Oak and Studewood.

I consider the neighborhood "somewhat" walkable (which is the same score I believe most areas get from walkscore.com).  The great thing to me is with range extending bicycles/longboards/skates you really ramp up the amount of places you can reasonably go to.  It is very easy to make a Angela's Oven/Caninos/houston dairy maids trip to pick up essentials on bicycle.

If anyone thinks walking is to far and parking is too difficult, you should buy my Vespa.

Last I checked, Tacos Agogo didn't have a valet, much less most of the businesses around White Oak and Studewood.

Never needed the services of one there. I always find a space and never have to worry about having to dry walking sweat under a bathroom hand dryer.

You have never been there on Friday or Saturday night.

What, you work for the NSA or something? I've been there both on Friday and Saturday nights.

This parking anxiety that leads many to rail against the automobile is 1st world problem stuff.

eh, its still not too bad. i dont think ive ever had to park more than a block or two off white oak

This is what is so funny about the whole s3mh "White Oak is making people walk" rant. This dude lives north of 11th Street and west of Yale. He is more than a mile away from White Oak. At worst, he may have to park at White Oak and Columbia, maybe Arlington on a football weekend. Yet, he makes it sound as if walking from over a mile away would be preferable to walking 3 blocks. 

Why tell the truth when exaggeration is so much fun?

I don't see using a car as a negative. I'm not sure where this whole fascination about walking everywhere came from. It's rather stupid if you think about it.

Spice Traders on camels back in the days of the Orient did not complain that their desert journeys went by far too quickly.

Cowboys on horseback did not bemoan the lack of walkability on their route to KC.

The '49'ers did not complain about how road west lacked significantly wide sidewalks.

Riders on San Francisco's innaugral trolley ride did not weep at not being forced to walk up hill.

The recent phenomenon somehow believes that we would be better off taking a giant step backwards, or ceding our autonomy to the schedule of mass transit. Screw that. If you want to limit our circle of autonomy/liberty be my guest, just be sure to obey the cross-walk signals.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone still feels this way about walking or mass transit when the local population doubles or triples in size.

This is what is so funny about the whole s3mh "White Oak is making people walk" rant. This dude lives north of 11th Street and west of Yale. He is more than a mile away from White Oak. At worst, he may have to park at White Oak and Columbia, maybe Arlington on a football weekend. Yet, he makes it sound as if walking from over a mile away would be preferable to walking 3 blocks. 

Why tell the truth when exaggeration is so much fun?

Yeah, you nailed it.  There is no parking problem on White Oak at all.  I was just pulling that out of my ass.  Total exaggeration.  Everything is just peachy on White Oak.  It is not like any of the restaurants had to close because the parking was too difficult for their patrons to manage on busy nights.  Of course you know the area much better than the people who actually run businesses there because you post a lot on HAIF. 

It is all fluff stuff to get traffic onto their website. But, for a beach that is within an hour's drive from a major metropolis, Galveston is a pretty good deal. I went to the beach in NJ this summer. While there are miles of beach, they restrict the areas that are swimmable due to the surf. You end up having everyone piled between two green flags, knocking into each other with every wave that comes in. The water is freaking cold and just as brown Galveston. And you do not dare touch the water in May or September without a wetsuit.

I used to be pretty down on Galveston having spent a lot of time on beaches on great beaches Fl, NC/SC and Cape Cod. But the island is once again having a nice rebound from the last hurricane with some new restaurants and the new Landry's money sucking machine where the poor old Flagship Hotel once stood. In a much more nuanced way, I could see Galveston being a top beach in the US.

New Jersey is not known for its good beaches, compare to practically any beach in California or Florida.

I do find it funny that people want to live in a "walkable" neighborhood, but hate parking a few blocks away from an eatery.  Is there a parking issue on white oak... sorta.  Sometimes when an event is going on you have to park in the neighborhood and walk a few blocks.  Onion Creek is almost exactly 2 miles from my house.  I often ride my longboard there   (my record is 8 minutes) but I've driven a lot as well... mostly on Friday nights and I've never had to park more than a few blocks away.  Would it be easier if they would have built a parking garage across from Taco's a gogo,  surely, but the complaints about parking are more of faux outrage than a real problem.  Try parking near Boondocks/Anvil on a friday/saturday night.  Almost all the surrounding area is tow-away zone so i've had to park a good 5-6 blocks away before.  I have a friend who lives in Hyde Park, I often opt to park at her house and walk up to westheimer. 

Parking management being too difficult to manage for a restaurant reminds me of that quote... "that place is too crowded, nobody goes there anymore"  If you can't figure it out your business deserves to shut down.

Yeah, you nailed it.  There is no parking problem on White Oak at all.  I was just pulling that out of my ass.  Total exaggeration.  Everything is just peachy on White Oak.  It is not like any of the restaurants had to close because the parking was too difficult for their patrons to manage on busy nights.  Of course you know the area much better than the people who actually run businesses there because you post a lot on HAIF. 

Sounds like you are being a bit of a prima donna about the parking on White Oak. Kinda like the customers of D'Amicos...if you believe their reason for closing. I only live 3 and a half blocks away. Nobody parks on my street to get to those restaurants, so the problem is not dire enough to force me to walk. However, half the time I do ride my bike...but not because I have to. 

What, D'amico's?

*Most* restaurants don't make it, and their space is being immediately filled by a new restaurant. The number of businesses on White Oak is still growing, with two more new restaurants on their way. 

Sounds like you are being a bit of a prima donna about the parking on White Oak. Kinda like the customers of D'Amicos...if you believe their reason for closing. I only live 3 and a half blocks away. Nobody parks on my street to get to those restaurants, so the problem is not dire enough to force me to walk. However, half the time I do ride my bike...but not because I have to. 

Yeah, again you nailed it. D'Amicos obviously lied about having problems with parking. They didn't make it because everyone in the Heights hated the food. They were just telling everyone they had problems with parking just to mess with you on your little message board. And you live over five blocks from those restaurants.

Yeah, again you nailed it. D'Amicos obviously lied about having problems with parking. They didn't make it because everyone in the Heights hated the food. They were just telling everyone they had problems with parking just to mess with you on your little message board. And you live over five blocks from those restaurants.

Stalking me, huh? Did you get your historic district pictures? Be sure to check out the new addition.

Sure, D'Amicos had issues with parking. But, is that the reason they had to close, or is that the reason they chose to give? Perhaps it was the reason. Perhaps their customers were a bunch of prima donnas, like I said earlier. Would not surprise me at all.

Like I said... if they couldn't handle the parking, they deserved to close.  I'm going to guess that maybe Coltivare had a little to do with their closing as well.   I liked D'amicos, but rarely went because Nundini's Chef's table is about the same price and way better, so I only went tno D'amicos if I wanted Italian and wanted to ride bikes or longboards to eat.  Coltivare would likely take that slot from them, and D'amicos would become useless to me.

I walk in the Heights all the time. We live near Heights and 20th, so walking to Shade, OH!, CVS, Becks Prime, Wells Fargo, McDonalds,and Krogers is easy (the wife won't go in that Krogers though). I also ride my bike around the Heights, even to Home Depot to get a bag of fertilizer every spring.

• The title was changed to Best Neighborhood In Town According To CNN/Money

Archived