St. Martin's Church At 717 Sage Rd.

20sGirl

Are you familiar at all with the historic Addicks United Methodist near the intersection of I-10 and Hwy 6? I am trying to find out some info on this church for a wedding but can't find anything. It's just a small chapel, but exactly what I want. It's hard to find a church for a wedding these days that doesn't want to charge you $1000. Ridiculous...

Edited by Ginger1234

• 7 months later...
Are you familiar at all with the historic Addicks United Methodist near the intersection of I-10 and Hwy 6?

There's another one just like it -- identical -- on Hwy 6 between Longenbaugh and West Road. Right next to the Cyfair VFD station. A lot of weddings are held there too. And while we're on the subject, my son got married last year in the very beautiful Bear Creek United Methodist Church, and it cost considerably less than a thousand dollars. The sanctuary of this church is stunning.

Check it out on this link to its website: http://www.bearcreekumc.org/about-us/weddings/

Edited by FilioScotia

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A thing of beauty...especially the sanctuary!

I had to agree wholeheartedly with 20's Girl (topic starter)... I didn't think they built them like this any more!

Too bad it is in such a crowded/trafficky part of the city. Had it been built in a very large open area it would have attracted more attention. :P Need more like it.

• 11 years later...

St. Martin’s Episcopal breaks ground on $55 million expansion

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/280-st-martins-church/

There’ll be a new Children’s Ministry Building; a new Music Building; and a new Pastoral Care Center to house the growing clergy team. The 1959 church building will become Christ Chapel, a 200-seat place for baptisms, funerals, weddings and other services.

As part of the expansion project, two campus buildings will be razed: a chiller at the corner of Sage and Woodway; and a building that once housed a bar owned by Sonny Bono, of the 1970s singing duo Sonny and Cher. The youth, Levenson said, have no idea who Bono was.

Tellepsen Builders, the same firm that constructed the 1959 church and almost all the other buildings on the campus, will handle the latest round, too. Tad Tellepsen says that in 1952, his grandfather and grandmother, June and Howard Tellepsen, were founding members of the church. St. Martin’s, he notes, had the luck to be founded at the right place at the right time — in the west Houston neighborhood soon to become the home to many of Houston’s most affluent people, as the oil industry made the city a magnet for growth.

dEqmnmo.jpg

• Like 1

EDIT: Story was originally broke by @ekdrm2d1 Friday, July 26th, 2019. If you want to go and read more about prior discussions about this site then you can find it in "Holy Places" subforum. This thread is to discuss the current renovations/master plan of the church.

**Original Post**

Didn't know this, but this is apparently the "biggest Episcopal church" in the United States. The more you know I guess. This going to be quite the extensive renovation/remodel of the entire facility.

Developer: St. Martin's Episcopal Church + Tellepsen

Architect: Jackson & Ryan Architects

Estimated Completion: 20-24 Months from July 2019 (so possibly Q3 2021)

Budget: $55,000,000

From Houston Business Journal:

St. Martin's Episcopal Church has officially started construction on its $55 million renovation and expansion project. Crews began working on the 15-acre site at 7171 Sage Road in Tanglewood on July 8, said the Rev. Russ Levenson, rector of St. Martin’s Church.

St. Martin’s, the largest Episcopal church in North America, drew international recognition last year during the funerals of two of its most prominent members — former President George H.W. Bush and former first lady Barbara Bush.

The city of Houston has already issued building permits for some $44.2 million in construction planned as part of its update effort. The project is expected to take between 20 and 24 months to complete, Levenson said.

The commercial building permits include $12.5 million to remodel and expand a chapel music building, $9.4 million for church sitework renovations and $9 million for renovations to the chapel building.

The church is also upgrading its educational facilities. The city has issued permits for $4.2 million to update the children’s education center, $2.3 million to remodel the education center and $528,524 to renovate the day care facility.

Additionally, the project includes updates to the church’s central heating and cooling system and other HVAC systems.

All of the permits were filed by Houston-based Tellepsen, which built the church in 1959. The designer for the project is Houston’s Jackson & Ryan Architects, which also designed the 1,200-seat building the church completed in 2004.

The project is being funded by the church's "Building for the Ages" capital campaign, which Levenson said has raised nearly enough to cover the entire project.

The expansion and renovation effort was driven by a need to serve a growing community, Levenson said. Since Levenson joined St. Martin’s in 2007, the congregation has grown from about 8,000 members to more than 9,500 members. On Sundays, up to 1,900 people attend services, depending on the time of the year. Counting all of the services throughout the week, up to 2,700 people are on campus, Levenson said.

“We have seen growth in every demographic age range since I have been here,” he said. “We feel very grateful that we continue to grow, and we want to continue to serve the community as it grows.”

All aspects of the project have made energy efficiency a priority, and the new buildings were designed to fit different needs within the community, Levenson said.

“The last thing we want is for big buildings to sit open and unused,” he said. “We want to have places here people can go to worship how they see fit.”

Images from article:

GYvhGYG.jpg

50yCXxU.jpg

trRZf3z.jpg

C89t1zl.jpg

7cN5kMs.jpg

7cN5kMs.jpg

Jy8tkAP.jpg

0rNJqQa.jpg

Edited by Luminare

On 7/29/2019 at 12:33 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

Thread has already been made.

See I just don't visit those. Not to mention those are topics talking about something instead of development. Also saw there was a post about St. Anne. I don't think we need to combine them though since those are threads dedicated to those locations in their entirety.

What I will do is edit my posts at to reflect that you broke the story first and link back to those threads. Will work on that now.

Edited by Luminare

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:41 AM, Luminare said:

GYvhGYG.jpg

Why don't they put some stonework on that thing? I remember when this was first built, they had to trim some things out of the budget (I think it cost around $28 million), and one of the things mentioned was "eliminating stonework." So now that you have $55 million to spend, why not give it the stonework that it should have had originally? Instead of endless peripheral buildings like every other church in America.

• Like 1

Just now, H-Town Man said:

Why don't they put some stonework on that thing? I remember when this was first built, they had to trim some things out of the budget (I think it cost around $28 million), and one of the things mentioned was "eliminating stonework." So now that you have $55 million to spend, why not give it the stonework that it should have had originally? Instead of endless peripheral buildings like every other church in America.

Link? Would like to see what was originally proposed before I can make an informed opinion on what is existing. I mean I have some base assumptions, but just want to know what they imagined before budget cuts.

4 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Link? Would like to see what was originally proposed before I can make an informed opinion on what is existing. I mean I have some base assumptions, but just want to know what they imagined before budget cuts.

I am remembering from 20 years ago; even if I had a link, it is likely dead. But if you doubt my memory, just look at the building. It desperately needs some stone, some detail. Here is a photo from the old thread. I think "Gothic Brutalism" would be the appropriate name for this architecture.

41864076.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to St. Martin's Church Master Plan
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

HOUSTON – (Realty News Report) –  St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, where the late President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush attended church, has completed a $66 million, five-year construction and improvements campaign.

The expansion program added five new buildings to the church, plus a new, specially designed pipe organ, called the Magnificat Organ, which fills the balcony at the rear of the church.

https://realtynewsreport.com/president-bushs-church-expands-with-66-million-in-additions/

• The title was changed to St. Martin's Church At 717 Sage Rd.