Berlin, Shanghai, Toronto, Sao Paulo, Dubai...

Boom.

There are certain places in this world that have the capabilities to seek a great opertunity, China is the prime example. Soon to be the financial capital of the world, China is booming, and building constantly. Infact, there causing the price of Steel to soar. But thats not stoping them, in certain aspects. Many projects have to be put on hold, until more important ones get built. This will only stretch there construction period longer.

Berlin is booming with new projects as well, infact, theres talk of Berlin's Tallest being torn down for a taller building.

Sao Paulo has been bustling since mid 2003, when they had the most buildings going up then any other city in the world. They are continuing to grow, making the Brazilian presence of Commerce, very strong.

Toronto is planning for new super tall skyscrapers to grace there skyline. Toronto had no original boom to set off there skyline today, except for the 70s. Most of there skyscrapers downtown where built in differnt periods of architecture.

Dubai is the Middle East's pride and joy. The city is an oasis (literally) in the .desert. With new upscale residential projects going up around the bay area, the city has alot in store for its self.

Around the world, cities are continuing to grow and prove, America may have been the inventor, but they can sure be the perfector... (of Skyscrapers and architecture that is). But some of the new projects in Europe built by foster, some say are ugly. Including myself. But let the building continue.; If we don't catch on, thats ok, we'll grab hold next time around.

Berlin:

04-02-07-berlin-deutschkurse-129700.jpg

220_3.gif

berlin_skyline.jpg

Berlin Soon to be re-done.

skyline3.jpg

Toronto:

11-skyline.jpg

TorontoConstruction_jpg.jpg

Sao Paulo:

039%20hotel%20construction%20in%20Brooklin.JPG

sao_paulo_skyline.jpg

skyline.jpg

Shanghai:

view4d.jpg

c162-17.jpg

Shanghai_Pudong.JPG

Dubai:

Dubai_skyline.jpg

dubai2004_beach.jpg

marina.gif

Including Super Projects^

Dub.Skyline.jpg

084.jpg

du48.jpg

Current Populations:

Berlin: 3,472,009 in city and 4,500,000 in metro

Toronto: 2,481,494 in city and 5,101,600 in metro

Sao Paulo: 10,600,060 in city and 18,390,777 in metro

Shanghai: 9,145,711 in city and 13,053,754 in metro

Dubai: 674,100 in city and 1,510,000 in metro

i'm going to shanghai sometime early next year. i heard they have really good chinese food there.  ;)

I'm going to be in Tokyo for a few weeks in the Spring, and was surprised to learn that many large Asian cities, including a few in Japan, have Chinatown sections.

I realize that the Chinese and Japanese cultures are vastly different, but this struck me as strange, like Chicago having a Canadatown, or Houston having a Mexicotown. Oh, wait...

I'm going to be in Tokyo for a few weeks in the Spring, and was surprised to learn that many large Asian cities, including a few in Japan, have Chinatown sections.

I realize that the Chinese and Japanese cultures are vastly different, but this struck me as strange, like Chicago having a Canadatown, or Houston having a Mexicotown.  Oh, wait...

if you've never been to japan yet, you are in for real a treat, the whole country was just insane.

I realize that the Chinese and Japanese cultures are vastly different, but this struck me as strange, like Chicago having a Canadatown, or Houston having a Mexicotown.

Berlin is going to be a helluva town.

Notice how European cities evolve? They have short buildings close together, then they start to build up. It's taken them hundreds of years. Here, it seems we build the big buildings to draw people in. We're still much more spread out than Berlin and other European cities.

Oooh, watch channell 11 tonight! They have a report on HOU that might interest everyone!

Berlin is going to be a helluva town.

Notice how European cities evolve? They have short buildings close together, then they start to build up. It's taken them hundreds of years. Here, it seems we build the big buildings to draw people in. We're still much more spread out than Berlin and other European cities.

Well thats because most of there cities are likly over a thousand years old. The reason they where close together is so they could keep together, build a wall from invading barbarians. It would have been more to build a big city, and a big wall. But Its just the way of the future. Things like barbarians are no longer a problem, at all! Technology has allowed us to be safe, and live further and further away from were we work.

But Its just the way of the future. Things like barbarians are no longer a problem, at all! Technology has allowed us to be safe, and live further and further away from were we work.

The barbarians who attacked on 9-11 used our own technology against us.

And we still have the equivalent of walled cities; but they're called gated communities now.

I can rest easy knowing the Mongol hordes won't burn my home down at night.

Actually, the gates around the communities seem pretty useless. River Oaks is mostly ungated, and they're pretty efficient at keeping the rabble out. They stop your car if it is worth less than $75,000.

I can rest easy knowing the Mongol hordes won't burn my home down at night.

Actually, the gates around the communities seem pretty useless. River Oaks is mostly ungated, and they're pretty efficient at keeping the rabble out. They stop your car if it is worth less than $75,000.

That notion is mostly stereotype and hyperbole. My wife and I used to drive around River Oaks once or twice a month just to admire the houses and dream of where we might live "someday." Christmas and Halloween were the best times because of the decorations. We drove around in my beat up Probe and never once were harrassed by the River Oak Patrol.

That notion is mostly stereotype and hyperbole.  My wife and I used to drive around River Oaks once or twice a month just to admire the houses and dream of where we might live "someday."  Christmas and Halloween were the best times because of the decorations.  We drove around in my beat up Probe and never once were harrassed by the River Oak Patrol.

Amended: If you drive a car worth less than $75,000 and have a tan.

I realize that the Chinese and Japanese cultures are vastly different, but this struck me as strange, like Chicago having a Canadatown, or Houston having a Mexicotown.  Oh, wait...

Man I'm jealous! That's one place I would love to see. Once I flew over it at night and it was an amazing sight. Can I go? Do you need someone maybe to carry your bags and things? :lol:

You know, I read an article recently about the Berlin reconstruction. Basically they said that the generally restrictive building rules were doing a good job recreating an urban fabric, but that the skyscraper zone around Potsdamer Platz was badly botched from a streetlife viewpoint. This was once the traffic hub of the city, but later it was completely flattened as the Berlin Wall ran right through it. The city wanted to recreate it as an urban center, and several new prestigious skyscraper headquarters were built there (Sony, Daimler). According to the article, though, it turned out a bit of an architectural mish-mash, and the skyscrapers weren't contributing much to street life. (They should have been able to figure that out by looking at American downtowns.) If I can dig the article up I'll post it.

if you've never been to japan yet, you are in for real a treat, the whole country was just insane.

My wife and I are planning to take a trip to Japan next spring. I have a ton of frequent flier miles that I want to use and I figured the bigger the trip the better. If anyone has some suggestions on where to stay and what to do I would greatly appreciate it.

My wife and I are planning to take a trip to Japan next spring. I have a ton of frequent flier miles that I want to use and I figured the bigger the trip the better. If anyone has some suggestions on where to stay and what to do I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm staying at the Keio Plaza Hotel. Nice place. 27 bars and restaurants in the hotel. Enough to do in the hotel that you don't have to leave. And one of the best views of the city available.

are you planning on going to just tokyo or other cities?

i stayed in kure (port city about a half hour south of hiroshima) and didn't stay overnight in tokyo or any of the other big cities. but a word of advice...request 'western style' bathrooms at what ever hotel you end up staying at.

are you planning on going to just tokyo or other cities?

i stayed in kure (port city about a half hour south of hiroshima) and didn't stay overnight in tokyo or any of the other big cities. but a word of advice...request 'western style' bathrooms at what ever hotel you end up staying at.

I know very little about Japan, but I think just a taste of Tokyo city life would be enough for me. I'm mainly interested in checking out the Buddhist and Shinto shrines as well as some of the castle towns built during the Edo period.

• 5 months later...

Archived