Bryan Development News

Scotch

Does anyone know what's happening on Briarcrest, near the intersection with 158 (Boonville)? Most of the trees have been cleared away in between the turnoff into Wheeler Ridge and the Exxon station at the corner. This is part of what's designated as park (or something green) in the map citykid posted.

Hmmm. Correct me if im wrong, but I thought that area was in the flood plain, which is why it was never developed. There is a nice size tank/pond back off in the trees next to Green Valley Dr.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm. Correct me if im wrong, but I thought that area was in the flood plain, which is why it was never developed. There is a nice size tank/pond back off in the trees next to Green Valley Dr.

That's what I thought, too. But, there were lots of trees knocked down... Maybe they plan to build up the land to get it out of the flood plain (does Bryan let you do this?).

I've seen Carter(?) creek reach a large flood stage twice in the 6 years I've been here, covering all the area adjacent to University Dr. from the bypass to right by the West (old Decision 1) building. And, I now see that land offered for sale (I believe listed as potential commercial property). Building in any of those flood plains would concern me, even if they did build up the land a bit...

That's what I thought, too. But, there were lots of trees knocked down... Maybe they plan to build up the land to get it out of the flood plain (does Bryan let you do this?).

I've seen Carter(?) creek reach a large flood stage twice in the 6 years I've been here, covering all the area adjacent to University Dr. from the bypass to right by the West (old Decision 1) building. And, I now see that land offered for sale (I believe listed as potential commercial property). Building in any of those flood plains would concern me, even if they did build up the land a bit...

I dont know if Bryan has a say. To my knowledge its federal mandate through FEMA to not build on frequently flooded plains, as to not be a liability. Although I believe FEMA re-drew the 100 year flood plain recently. You would have to check the GIS flood plain mapping on the city website.

I dont know if Bryan has a say. To my knowledge its federal mandate through FEMA to not build on frequently flooded plains, as to not be a liability. Although I believe FEMA re-drew the 100 year flood plain recently. You would have to check the GIS flood plain mapping on the city website.

Thanks. I checked the GIS system, and the area I'm mentioning is indeed in the 100 year flood plain. The existing Exxon station right next to that area appears to overlap a thin sliver "cut out" of the 100 year flood plain, and is classified as a 500 year flood plain.

I guess what I was thinking was that if you brought in enough fill, you could raise part of the land, so that it could then be classified as out of the flood plain, and thus build on it. Is this type of thing allowed?

There was a letter to the editor of the Eagle last week complaining about losing all the trees there, also (the writer was complaining that new stores would be going in, but I think he/she was just speculating). I haven't heard yet (and haven't had a chance to drive by again to look to see) what will be going on there.

Thanks. I checked the GIS system, and the area I'm mentioning is indeed in the 100 year flood plain. The existing Exxon station right next to that area appears to overlap a thin sliver "cut out" of the 100 year flood plain, and is classified as a 500 year flood plain.

I guess what I was thinking was that if you brought in enough fill, you could raise part of the land, so that it could then be classified as out of the flood plain, and thus build on it. Is this type of thing allowed?

There was a letter to the editor of the Eagle last week complaining about losing all the trees there, also (the writer was complaining that new stores would be going in, but I think he/she was just speculating). I haven't heard yet (and haven't had a chance to drive by again to look to see) what will be going on there.

I was discussing the corner of Boonville & Briarcrest yesterday with a local builder/relative. He says that he knows for certain that this corner isn't in the floodplain anymore b/c he personally, along with another developer, rerouted a creek about 25 years ago that once would've flooded that corner. He did tell me that if the corner was in a flood plain that FEMA wouldn't allow a developer to "bring in" fill dirt to bring up the level. If its actually in the flood plain code says you have to dig out fill from that piece of land to bring up the rest of the parcel while leaving the dug out area lower as to catch the runoff from the raised part.

Also, he hadn't heard what was going in there but speculated that the owner was simply clearing it as to make it more marketable...don't know. One interesting thing he told me is that that corner was just weeds until about 25 years ago. When he and his friend rerouted that creek a bunch of "trash" trees began growing and thats what was there until now...no oaks or any trees of any real substance. So, that letter to the editor amused him quite a bit.

Lastly, I have a co-worker who has an ear on the inside at the city of Bryan. From what she told me the "big box" development at Briarcrest & Hwy 6 is a Super Target. The smaller box would be Old Navy. Supposedly they've already said that if Target moves there to expand they'll do the same as they're both maxed out at their current locations and Old Navy realizes Target's the draw for the current center. Both CS locations would then close. Think of the coup for the city of Bryan to take both Target and Old Navy from College Station. When was the last time something like that happened? I'm hoping that if this is the case those two stores will be the start of something huge for Bryan.

Lastly, I have a co-worker who has an ear on the inside at the city of Bryan. From what she told me the "big box" development at Briarcrest & Hwy 6 is a Super Target. The smaller box would be Old Navy. Supposedly they've already said that if Target moves there to expand they'll do the same as they're both maxed out at their current locations and Old Navy realizes Target's the draw for the current center. Both CS locations would then close. Think of the coup for the city of Bryan to take both Target and Old Navy from College Station. When was the last time something like that happened? I'm hoping that if this is the case those two stores will be the start of something huge for Bryan.

That sounds good, but do you think Bryan can take Target and Old Navy?

If it does happen then it wouldn't bother College Station anyways. They are a step above Bryan in Retial and They could find something to replace them. Anyways I hope both Bryan and College Statio do good in everything, because they are like one city, and this is my home.

Crap!

now we end up with frickin empty buildings. god knows that old walmarts/targets/etc are very difficult fill with new tenants without MAJOR remodeling. i remember how long it took to redo the old walmart in Killeen, and the old converted CS Kmart center isnt doing so hot right now and that fugly renovation didnt help

I personally dont mind bryan getting new stuff, living off rock prairie it is almost easier to get on the bypass and drive to bryan going 90 mph if the troopers arent out then it is to go on Texas Avenue and sit at traffic lights forever. I just hate to see empty buildings that may not fill up ESPECIALLY on the CS side of Texas ave. Maybe they could demo both locations and put in a Kohl's or Fry's(both would do good in this town i would imagine).

Anyways, The concrete walls are up and the roof trusses are in the Parking lot, something big and boxy is being built next to petsmart on University. Any news on that?

If this is true than I think it's a great addition for Bryan but I feel that before we start building out on Hwy 6 and Earl Rudder we should first try and do something with the empty locations on Tex Ave. in Bryan just north of Villa Maria where the old H.E.B , Krogers and even the Albersons buildings are sitting. That section of Tex. Ave is real depressing and empty, first you have that old A&M off campus dorm "THE FORUM" which for a while has been vacant and you have an old converted Sub-Way that was turned into a Hair/Nails shop (which is the ugliest building I ever seen). I wonder when Bryan will start to redevelop that area just like they did with the Tejas Center.

Construction thrives in Bryan-College Station - 9/17/2006

Local construction projects, worth more than $205 million so far this year, are at the highest value in the history of an economic study compiled each month by a Texas economist. Karr Ingham, who has taken a monthly review of the economic health of Bryan and College Station for the past six years, said the construction sector of the economy continues to thrive. The valuation of residential and commercial building permits issued so far this year is nearly 30 percent ahead of last year's levels. July permits also were valued at one of the highest monthly totals, at more than $34 million. An increase in construction projects, Ingham said, stimulates the economy on a variety of levels. The economic index, which takes into account several factors, including retail, home and auto sales, employment rates and job growth, reached yet another record-breaking level in July. The July 2006 economic index is 119.6, up from the June index of 118.8. The number is up 6.4 percent from the July 2005 index of 112.4, Ingham said. The numbers reflect a change in the way Ingham calculates inflation. Ingham said he decided to revise inflation adjustments to the general retail sales category. He said the old inflation rate of about 4 percent had become decreasingly reflective of spending increases in the area, so he decreased the inflation rate for retail sales to about 2 percent. July did produce impressive inflation-adjusted retail sales, Ingham said. Retail sales for the month are well over 8 percent higher than those for July of last year, bringing the year-to-date total to more than 7 percent higher compared with the same period last year. Ingham said he is troubled by only one figure in the July economic index. He said considering the growth in the sales sector, there should be a corresponding growth in employment. While there is employment growth in Bryan-College Station, growth rates remain beneath his expectations at 1.5 percent to 2 percent. Ingham said he is not too worried about the figures because he expects there will be revisions to the calculations of job growth that the state provides. Homebuilding also continues to be on the rise in Bryan-College Station Ingham said. New home permits have been ahead of 2005 totals all year, but remain behind the record year of 2003. There was a 45 percent increase in home permits issued in July compared with the same month last year. The figure pulled the year-to-date permit total of 640, close to the 648 permits issued from January to July in 2003. Home sales in July were below the same month last year. This is the second time this year that the number of homes sold sank below last year's totals. But Ingham said as a whole, home sale trends in 2006 are up, and it would take at least several months to indicate a change in that trend. He pointed out that the year-to-date total for home sales is key. So far this year, 1,600 homes have been sold in Bryan-College Station. That is almost 13 percent higher than 2005.

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/091706/bus...20060917063.php

9248_800.jpg

Brazos Valley Bank building

• 2 months later...
Here are a few pictures of new development in Park Hudson-

Lot where office buildings will be built, sign of proposed layout:

IMG_1126.jpgIMG_1128.jpg

Quick update: This office development inside Park Hudson is progressing along slowly but surely. Here is a picture of Service Insurance Group which has been in place for a while, and one of a new, larger building under construction:

Williamsburg1.jpgWilliamsburg2.jpg

Does anyone know what's happening with the (what was going to be) First American Bank building (the giant one) on the College Station side of the University & Copperfield intersection? It appears they've given up any pretense of continuing to build it (though I did notice they put some boards over some unfinished windows on the upper floors). It feels like it has been going on for years.

The Crescent Pointe development (on the College Station stretch of Copperfield, between University and 30/Harvey, except for the above mentioned building) seems to be coming along. The entrance brickwork seems nearly complete, and it looks like there is something going in at one of the pad sites in the middle.

Does anyone know what's happening with the (what was going to be) First American Bank building (the giant one) on the College Station side of the University & Copperfield intersection? It appears they've given up any pretense of continuing to build it (though I did notice they put some boards over some unfinished windows on the upper floors). It feels like it has been going on for years.

The Crescent Pointe development (on the College Station stretch of Copperfield, between University and 30/Harvey, except for the above mentioned building) seems to be coming along. The entrance brickwork seems nearly complete, and it looks like there is something going in at one of the pad sites in the middle.

Don Adam's building is still going to be completed. Three permits have been issued by the city of College Station for finish out of the bottom, top and part of the 9th floors. If you've ever noticed pretty much everything Mr. Adam builds takes a good deal longer than normal. I mean Miramont was under construction forever. This project has gone on for longer than expected and if you listen to the rumors around town there are many, many thoughts as to why. The pad site under construction on Copperfield will be the new home of a local attorney's firm...Jeff Paradowski I think. Also, the rumor mill says an upscale restaurant is interested in the corner directly across from the Physician's Center... basically the SW corner of Copperfield and University.

Archived