Bryan Development News

Scotch

Ive never heard of them. I drove by the Wing Heaven place today and they have re-painted it again. A beige color, looks a lot better. It seems to be a local joint, as it is taking up a very small secondary building behind the older, somewhat shoddy "Tommy's Drive In Too" gas station at N Texas Ave & MLK. Several years ago, before the BBQ place it was occupied by "Tip Top Records". They sold boot-legged and underground rap cd's.

That place? I would never eat there. thats a shack.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a positive note, I have word that Bryan will soon have two more Whataburgers; One near the Tejas Center, and one near the new Kroger Signature. Also, there is already a sign for a new Subway in the Kroger center.

On a positive note, I have word that Bryan will soon have two more Whataburgers; One near the Tejas Center, and one near the new Kroger Signature. Also, there is already a sign for a new Subway in the Kroger center.

How do you know about new Whataburgers? The westside really needs a Whataburger. When you said Tejas, for some reason I thought about Traditions golf course. Thats why they should build one there instead of Tejas.

Where at by Tejas?

How do I know about the new Whataburgers? I have sources. :) I don't know (or can't reveal) the specific locations...

The corner of 2818 and Villa Maria now has a McDonald's, Popeye's and a Subway(I think). Those weren't there ten years ago. Give it time and I'm sure a Whataburger will finally go in that area too. I wouldn't expect one before 2009, however.

Growth plan gets residents' input in Bryan

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

Ideas offered Tuesday by about 50 Bryan residents will become part of the plan that dictates how the city should manage its growth.

"When you start mixing commercial with residential property, it's going to reduce the value of your residential property," Gilmore said. "We don't want to walk to pick up a loaf of bread."

This dude is carzy: :wacko:

I agree, he is crazy. I don't understand how his property value would decrease. Also, what is his hangup with having things close by. I am guessing he didn't think that one through very well.

He is crazy.

You're new here. Welcome to the forum! Do you go to A&M?

How many classes did you take a semester? Did you go to summer school? When did you start, fall 2002?

I started at A&M in Fall '02 and took summer school several times. These are my hours per semester (where a=spring, b=summer, c=fall):

02c-14hrs

03a-15hrs

03b-4hrs

03c-15hrs

04a-13hrs

04b-12hrs

04c-14hrs

05a-15hrs

05b-3hrs

05c-12hrs

06a-13hrs

06b-0hrs

06c-6hrs

I have a lot of hours because I took some courses I didn't need for various reasons.

This was for a BS degree in Civil Engineering.

He is crazy.

You're new here. Welcome to the forum! Do you go to A&M?

Thanks! I start at A&M this summer. I have been at Blinn for the past two years and I was an AF Air Traffic Contoller in San Antonio for six years before that. That is where the BE comes from...my operating initials as a controller. My wife is class of 02 so I've been around this community for several years and I am really excited to see it grow and I am very interested in all of the new development that is going on.

Thanks! I start at A&M this summer. I have been at Blinn for the past two years and I was an AF Air Traffic Contoller in San Antonio for six years before that. That is where the BE comes from...my operating initials as a controller. My wife is class of 02 so I've been around this community for several years and I am really excited to see it grow and I am very interested in all of the new development that is going on.

If y'all are interested in Aggie sports check out my message board, aggiefans.com. :)

BTW, what are y'all going to major in?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there is going to be a new Starbucks in Tejas Center. "The construction sign is up showing that a free-standing Starbucks is being built in the parking lot near the corner of Texas & Villa Maria."

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Finally another tenant coming to the Bryan Kroger Signature center. There is a sign uo for T-Jin's II(T-Jin's is in the Kroger Signature center in C.S. and is related to the Jin's on Church Street in Northgate). I'll count this as a "sit-down" restaurant we have been hoping for, though I look forward to east Bryan getting a sit down restaurant that is not Pizza or Chinese Food. I think Christopher's is the only true restaurant east of Rudder in the Bryan city limits.

Papa John's is also opening up in the small center between McCoy's and the Shell station.

Plans are still in the works for Cotton Patch Cafe and a Whataburger in the area, but as usual, things are dragging along...

Papa John's is also opening up in the small center between McCoy's and the Shell station.

Papa John's is going in that center with Little Caesar's there already?

A pretty reliable source in city government told me that Pappadeaux's is building on the bypass next to the Nissan dealership (where that little golf course used to be). I know these rumors have been circulating for years, but I believe this person.

Sorry, got my pizza places confused. It is a Little Caesar's.

If the Pappa's would wait a few years, they could have a super location between University and Briarcrest on Rudder Frwy.

Papa John's is going in that center with Little Caesar's there already?

A pretty reliable source in city government told me that Pappadeaux's is building on the bypass next to the Nissan dealership (where that little golf course used to be). I know these rumors have been circulating for years, but I believe this person.

So it won't be in Bryan?

In front of the new movie theater there was supposed to be a resturant announcement, but I still haven't heard anything. Do any of you know?

What else can you tell us rcj0618?

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder who decided to build a new Radio Shack right across the street from Hastings on Villa Maria, i guess with the new building they're closing the current location just up the street, as i passed by and noticed the sign on the building i looked at where the customers are going to park because the parking lot is small unless people will park at Wal*greens and walk down to the store

• 1 month later...
County to preview Briarcrest proposal

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

Brazos County commissioners will meet Wednesday with developers to discuss a proposal for a mixed-use project at the corner of Earl Rudder Freeway and Briarcrest Drive.

A proposed mixed-use project in a 254-acre field on Briarcrest Drive near Texas 6 between Garilyn Shelton Mazda-BMW and the Brazos Center in Bryan will be discussed when developers meet with Bryan and Brazos County officials Wednesday.

Tax increment financing, also known as TIF, allows the city and county to help fund development with a portion of property taxes collected within a particular zone and then use future tax revenues in that region to repay the debt.

Lauth Construction, which has offices in Dallas, Denver, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Orlando, Fla., and Charlotte, N.C., is proposing to develop about 250 acres at Earl Rudder Freeway and Briarcrest.

Aaron Hurt of Lauth Construction said Tuesday from his Indiana office that the company has a site plan but is not ready to release the names of the shops, hotels and restaurants included in the development.

"I really can't get into any specifics," he said, noting that more information will be announced during Wednesday's gathering with the commissioners court. "This meeting will be an introductory-type meeting. We're trying to come in as good neighbors and get some feedback."

The developer recently entered a contract with landowner Jack Lester, Hurt confirmed. The majority of the land, which extends between Briarcrest and University drives, is zoned for agricultural use.

Bryan Business Council President Mitch Morehead said in a meeting with The Eagle in March that his organization, which acts as the city's economic development arm, was seeking developers to create a "lifestyle center" on the east side of the freeway. The land would be a prime spot for retail, hotel and office space, restaurants and upscale townhomes, Morehead said at the time.

"Like we've always said, the development we've conceived would lend itself to a TIF," Morehead said.

Bryan's Dunn said the developer has not indicated what would anchor the development.

MEETING

The Brazos County Commissioners Court will meet in a workshop session at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Bryan Council Chambers, 300 S. Texas Ave.

Well, lets hope this "proposed" project is something Bryan residents and also College Station,( Bryan mostly) can be proud of. This particular site where the land is "proposed" is one of many on both sides of Earl Rudder that is due for development. Please no more dollar stores, hopefully something that's real urban and will spark attracting looking development to Bryan.

Bryan officials embrace retail center proposal

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

A potential 60-acre retail development at the corner of Briarcrest Drive and Earl Rudder Freeway is the starting point for Bryan's new central business corridor, city officials said Wednesday.

Developers have declined to released the names of the businesses planned for the site but say the doors could open by mid-2008. In a meeting with developers Wednesday, city and county officials said they're excited about opportunities for the property.

A major anchor, minor anchor and five smaller buildings are planned for the first phase of the project, behind the Garlyn Shelton car dealership and next to the county-owned Brazos Center. The developer, Indiana-based Lauth Construction, is under contract with landowner Jack Lester to purchase the land. The developer also has an option to buy about 200 acres of adjacent land to the south, also owned by Lester, for future construction.

Lauth officials said Wednesday they have contractual agreements with retailers that would be breached if the retailers' identities are disclosed.

Plans for the first phase call for about 300,000 square feet of retail space, which could accommodate at least one big-box tenant. The average size of a Wal-Mart SuperCenter is about 190,000 square feet, and the average SuperTarget is about 175,000 square feet.

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/090706/local_20060907001.php

What do you think the first big retailer will be? I think mabe a Super Target, or a Khols.

\/ \/ \/ \/Is that this same development?\/ \/ \/ \/

TIF request likely for Bryan development

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

Bryan business leaders are trying to orchestrate the development of 254 acres along North Earl Rudder Freeway, saying the envisioned mix of retail, office space and housing would be a major shot in the arm for the city's eastside growth.

The now-vacant land between University and Briarcrest drives just east of the freeway could become a thriving "lifestyle center" within five years, according to Bryan Business Council President Mitch Morehead and fellow member Dick Perkins.

"We're thinking of mixed-use, high-end, uptown, like a Woodlands-type of environment," Business Council President Mitch Morehead said.

Morehead said the project would be a prime candidate for a tax-increment financing (TIF) district, in which the city would help fund the development and then use future tax revenues to pay the debt. An estimated $10 million to $12 million would be requested from the city for infrastructure improvements at the site, the planners said. This has not yet been proposed to city leaders, however.

The business council, which is an economic development group made up of City Council appointees, paid $25,000 to Vernon Henry and Associates of Houston to develop the concept. The preliminary vision includes retail, hotel and office space, restaurants and upscale townhomes.

The goal is to have one or two large stores anchoring the development. While no companies have been approached, Morehead said stores like Kohl's, Pottery Barn and Williams-Sonoma are of the type the business council would like to recruit.

"We're thinking of mixed-use, high-end, uptown, like a Woodlands-type of environment," Morehead said.

A museum is even a possibility, he added.

"The idea is to come and shop and do a lot of things in one place," Morehead said. "The timing is right for a project like this."

Planning for the future

Although a general concept is on paper, the plans for the project could change once a developer is found and the land is purchased, Perkins said.

A broker is negotiating a price for the acreage with landowner Jack Lester. The broker would then select a developer, who would buy the land and set the project in motion.

The developer would work with the city on a master plan, get the stores and other components lined up and develop a TIF proposal. The business council would identify infrastructure and other needs that should be included in the TIF.

"We'll champion this through [the Planning and Zoning Commission] and try to be a facilitator," Morehead said of the business council's involvement. "Then the developer will go to the city with a master plan, and they'll work within that framework."

The development has the potential to create "huge change" in Bryan, Perkins said. It will stretch a little more than a mile along the Bypass, attracting out-of-town visitors who are traveling through the city, Morehead said.

Business council members hope the new development will capitalize on its proximity to the Brazos Center and also "bring some of the energy from University Drive," Morehead said.

Just up the road, at Boonville Road and North Earl Rudder Freeway, construction is under way on a movie theater and a Kroger grocery store. The envisioned development between University and Briarcrest drives would only accelerate what's already going on in that corridor, Perkins said.

He said it will take about six months to formulate a master plan and steer the development through the proper channels with the Planning and Zoning Commission and the City Council.

"Once it's under contract, it will be two to four years before you see roads, buildings and places where people can spend their money," Perkins said. "We're looking at this as a five-year plan. It will be staged."

Bryan Mayor Ernie Wentrcek said Friday the City Council is not involved in the conceptual development plans.

"At this point, I'm personally not aware of this project," Wentrcek said.

The TIF

The Bryan City Council recently approved a separate TIF zone that was requested by private partners Burton Creek Development Ltd. The council has not determined how much money, if any, the city will invest in the 122-acre zone, which runs along Villa Maria Road and William Joel Bryan Parkway.

The Burton Creek developers have asked the city to contribute about $5.6 million to the project. They plan to build senior-citizen-restricted housing and some office and retail development.

Once a TIF zone is created, a portion of the property taxes on new development within that zone goes toward paying off the city's debt. It creates risk for the city if the taxes generated aren't enough to pay off the debt, but it also can be a successful tool for sparking activity in a previously undeveloped area, officials say.

In addition to the Burton Creek TIF, Bryan has two others: the Traditions golf and residential development and the Park Hudson business park. Each TIF is governed by an advisory board of appointees from the City Council, Brazos County, the Bryan school board and the offices of state Sen. Steve Ogden and Rep. Fred Brown.

Vernon Henry did design work for Park Hudson and the first phase of the Copperfield development, both of which are in eastern Bryan. The two developments have been very successful, Morehead said.

The new TIF would be structured more like the Park Hudson project than Traditions. The city bought the land for Traditions, but that wouldn't be the case for the envisioned "lifestyle center."

Morehead, who chairs the Park Hudson TIF board, said the planned development is perfect for a TIF because of the opportunity for spin-off development.

"In my mind, this is a prime candidate for a TIF because it probably wouldn't develop otherwise," Morehead said. "The only responsible way to do this is with a TIF."

If a TIF is proposed for the project, the city could be asked for an investment of about $10 million to $12 million. Bryan would be responsible for funding public amenities and infrastructure such as water, sewer and roads, Perkins said.

Mayor Wentrcek said he couldn't comment on whether the City Council would approve another TIF.

"I wouldn't know one way or the other until I've had a chance to look at the project," he said.

Morehead said he hopes to see a trend of quality development continue to emerge in Bryan.

"What we envision is high standards," he said. "Bryan needs that. This will change the face of the whole east side."

• April Avison's e-mail address is april.avison@theeagle.com.

tifmap.jpg

Did anyone else read this article with as much excitement as I did? Obviously this is a grandious plan but if it ever came to fruition it would change the face of Bryan. For anyone new to the area the site they're discussing was to be the location of Post Oak Mall before the owner, Jack Lester, increased his asking price at the last minute 20+ years ago. This forced the mall developers to choose another site in College Station which up til now has shifted 90% of retail growth to that city. And, as you can see, Mr. Lester's land is still sitting there idle.

I see that the picture mentions an extension of Oak Hill Drive. What has ever happened with the plan to build a bridge over Hwy 6 to connect the existing Oak Hill to the other side of the highway? I really hope this deal gets off the ground and that the money the business council spent on the plan isn't all for not. A Pottery Barn in Bryan....can you imagine?

Does anyone know what's happening on Briarcrest, near the intersection with 158 (Boonville)? Most of the trees have been cleared away in between the turnoff into Wheeler Ridge and the Exxon station at the corner. This is part of what's designated as park (or something green) in the map citykid posted.

Archived