New to Houston

dane

Being a new-comer to Houston is both overwhelming and exciting at the same time. It seems like just yesterday that I stepped off the plane from Denmark and on to the sizzling tarmac at IAH.....yet it's been 18 years now!

Since then I have watched Houston turn into a wonderful, diverse, sophisticated, multicultural city with a non pretentious and approachable vibe! In fact, I decided to go into residential real estate as a profession so I could help others acclimate and enjoy living in our "melting pot" of a city!

So newbies, leave your preconceived notions about Houston at the immigration control and start enjoying everything that houston has to offer!

Oh, and a few tidbits about Houston.......

-Houston was the last major metropolis to enter the recession and the first one out.

-Houston has one of the most comprehensive performing art venues in the US.

-Houston ranks in the top 3 of major cities with most trees.

I've been in Houston for 18 months now and it's definitely not the city that I thought it was when I came here. It's interesting now that I know the area better how far off base other people's (non-Houstonians) perceptions are of Houston. I recently had a conversation with a friend from Austin who was telling me how great the food scene in Austin is and I was telling him how incredible the food is in Houston and he had no clue. I don't even think he believed me!

I've been in Houston for 18 months now and it's definitely not the city that I thought it was when I came here. It's interesting now that I know the area better how far off base other people's (non-Houstonians) perceptions are of Houston. I recently had a conversation with a friend from Austin who was telling me how great the food scene in Austin is and I was telling him how incredible the food is in Houston and he had no clue. I don't even think he believed me!

Yeah, every time I'm in Austin I get amazed at how blah their "awesome" places are. Don't get me wrong... as a liberal I love the craziness and beauty of Austin. At the same time, I have my standards and it's hard to find places as diverse and high quality that Houston offers.

Also, as someone who lived in Austin briefly, I find it sad that they seem to be becoming nothing but suburb after suburb. Yeah, they have South Congress and some Downtown... but Houston has Midtown, Downtown, EaDo, Montrose, Rice U, Med Center, Heights, etc. and they're all pretty easy to access (unlike having to sit on I-35 forever).

Also, as someone who lived in Austin briefly, I find it sad that they seem to be becoming nothing but suburb after suburb. Yeah, they have South Congress and some Downtown... but Houston has Midtown, Downtown, EaDo, Montrose, Rice U, Med Center, Heights, etc. and they're all pretty easy to access (unlike having to sit on I-35 forever).

Exactly. Outside of a small area in the core of Austin, after 9pm or so everything is closed and your main dining options are McDonald's and IHOP.

• 2 weeks later...

it's laughable when someone tries to compare Austin to Houston as a cultural center... Houston is much closer to NYC than it is to Austin.

Houston really is a city that needs to be lived in (or at least visited on a frequesnt basis) to be appreciated. there are no all-encompassing entertainment districts, "tourist" attractions or true natural landmarks to distinguish itself... one just needs to be here.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't experienced many other places for longer than visiting, so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Houston is wholly unique.

Where else can you go where you have million dollar homes around the block from really cheap rent apartments?

Or an industrial bakery in the middle of a neighborhood?

Townhomes sprouting up in the middle of a bunch of warehouses?

You'd never imagine that a world class museum (Menil) is in the middle of a bunch of bungalows, or the Rothko Chapel sits there as well. 

Something about the somewhat acidic smell of coffee roasting tells everyone that they're in the east end.

Not to mention, Philly is known for cheese steaks, Memphis is known for bbq, Chicago or NY have their own style of pizza.

Houston is not known for any specific variety of food, maybe tex-mex, but more than that so many varieties of authentic cultural food it's astonishing. I could probably find a restaurant in Miami that has really great authentic Cuban, or some Indian food in LA. But you can find Ethiopian, Cuban, Colombian, Indian (multiple different regions), Belgian, Indonesian, you name the country, you can probably find a restaurant that offers their authentic cuisine.

No Dutch though. Disappointing as that sounds, for some reason hudspot, Dutch pea soup, raw herring, uitsmijter and stroop wafels just never took off over here, despite Houston being the home of a lot of Dutch immigrants thanks to Shell. 

Houston is not known for any specific variety of food, maybe tex-mex, but more than that so many varieties of authentic cultural food it's astonishing. I could probably find a restaurant in Miami that has really great authentic Cuban, or some Indian food in LA. But you can find Ethiopian, Cuban, Colombian, Indian (multiple different regions), Belgian, Indonesian, you name the country, you can probably find a restaurant that offers their authentic cuisine.

Not only that, but you can frequently find that kind of variety within a short ride of each other here or, in some cases, on the same street. Ride Bellaire from the loop to hwy 6 and count the number of different cuisines.

• 2 months later...

Thinking about relocating to Houston from Flint, Michigan. I have a wife and 5 kids from the ages of 13-5 and one of my main reasons for moving is to get my children out of the environment. If u know anything about Flint then u know what I mean. Just was wondering is it easy to adapt and find a good job there?

Thinking about relocating to Houston from Flint, Michigan. I have a wife and 5 kids from the ages of 13-5 and one of my main reasons for moving is to get my children out of the environment. If u know anything about Flint then u know what I mean. Just was wondering is it easy to adapt and find a good job there?

What is your profession?

What is your profession?

I have over 15yrs of experience in the manufacturing/production field and 7 yrs of managerial experience unfortunately no degrees currently. But I'm willing to learn new things, I also thought about getting my CDL...

It really surprises me how many 20somethings are moving to Houston.  At the watering hole I meet at least 5/week.  Most are newly degreed and Houston has a booming job market currently.  Lots of energy sector/business type majors.

You should post some of your experiences in Michigan on some of the other threads.  A few folks here have a dreamy conception of Detroit and it's environs.  Be nice to have a local's take on some of it.

I have over 15yrs of experience in the manufacturing/production field and 7 yrs of managerial experience unfortunately no degrees currently. But I'm willing to learn new things, I also thought about getting my CDL...

http://www.manpower.us/en/Offices/default.htm?&service-lob=s&preferred-language=en&preferred-country=us&hcmid=fsos-tx039&

houston has many manufacturing jobs in the industrial sector.  check with manpower or other industrial employment services.  assimilating to houston can take a year or so and with a large family, you'll have many things to consider.  haifers are really helpful when it comes time to buy or lease, many have extensive knowledge of school districts and neighborhoods.  if you get the job plan nailed down and it looks like you're headed our way, don't hesitate to start a thread.  haifers love to answer questions and give opinions.  best of luck!

Archived