Metro might reinstitute day pass

After a five-year hiatus, the daypass may soon return as an option for Metro bus and train riders.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority is studying what it would take to reinstitute single-day passes, either on popular Q cards or as stand-alone tickets for all of its buses and trains.

Any change in fares or creation of a daypass would need more study, Metro officials said, as well as approval of the agency's board. Members of a board committee said Wednesday they'd like to bring the passes back.

Metro discontinued use of daypasses in 2008 to simplify fares. Many riders lamented the loss.

"I wish they'd bring it back," said Troy Black, 42, as he waited for a train Wednesday outside Metro's downtown headquarters.

Most major transit systems in the country, including those in Dallas, Austin and Fort Worth, offer some sort of daypass. Prices generally are two or three times as high as a single fare.

The plans discussed Wednesday assumed a daypass would cost twice as much as a single-ride fare.

For riders, daypasses could save costs and encourage more transit use, officials said. Someone who rides park and ride already pays twice the base fare, $2 to $4.50, depending on where the ride originates. So using a bus or the light rail line at lunchtime or to go to a meeting would be essentially free, said Metro board member Christof Spieler.

Retrofit will be costly

The passes would be available via the automated ticket machines at rail stops and other places that sell bus tickets. The Q card used by 70 percent of bus riders also could potentially be charged as a daypass.

Additional opportunities to sell passes also were discussed, including on buses and at hotels, where tourists could be encouraged to hop on board.

Retrofitting the fare system on buses and sales kiosks will cost as much as $1.7 million, according to a Metro analysis. But interim CEO Tom Lambert said the actual cost probably will be lower.

Revenue-neutral

Per-passenger revenues would fall because some riders would hop on board without paying as much as they currently do, officials said.

Ridership, however, would increase an estimated 1 percent to 1.5 percent, said Andy Skabowski, senior vice president of service delivery for Metro.

"It is really revenue-neutral," Skabowski said.

Board members said reinstating the daypass would hinge on whether it helps lure people aboard, and whether it makes sense financially.

"I want to go where we can get the biggest bang for our buck," said Cindy Siegel, chairwoman of the Metro board's customer service committee.

I've purchased "day passes" in many major cities in the U. S. and Europe. Whether or not I save much money is secondary to the convenience they allow. I'm not sure if the everyday tourist to Houston (we do get some don't we?) would get much use from such passes just because of the deficiencies in the public transportation system itself. Where it might be most useful is for events such as the recent NBA all-star game and the Rodeo which attaract people from out of town for a specific period of time and who have definite destinations, e. g. hotel to arena, etc. (Yeah, I know that doesn't work so well for those who have livestock in a trailer. :mellow:)

The last time I stayed in New Orleans I bought a three-day pass from the hotel desk (the hotel is on St. Charles Ave.) and got more than my money's worth using the street car. Further motivation came from the fact it would cost me $12 each time I took my vehicle from the hotel parking garage!

• Like 1

The current 'per ride' system employed by Metro is perplexing and does little to encourage ridership. No. Tickets should be issued to allow people to utilize Metro for a day, a week or a year.

Yes, that's what I encounter in any other transit system. A week pass in DC is great.