Forcible eviction maybe...

kw_uh97

Hello All

I have relatives that have inherited their mothers home due to her passing away. One of the siblings have the money and wants to repair and renovate. He has not decided if he wants to rent it or reside and take on the responsibility of continuing the mortgage payments after repairs until its paid off. However he has a small problem with the other sibling. The other sibling has occupied the house and unwilling to leave, but is unable to pay the monthly note. The sibling that is able to make the payments is not wanting to provide a place for his non-working sibling and wants the other sibling out. They received the first non-payment notice or foreclosure notice, not sure exactly, however is there anything that can be done by the able sibling to get the other sibling out of the home to move forward with payments and repairs?

Thanks in advance. 

How long has the person been living there? If they've been living there a while (previously with permission) then they have at least all the rights that any tenant would have and you'd have to go through a normal eviction process.

You say they inherited the house, though. Who inherited the house? Whose name is on the title? If this person who isn't paying actually has some ownership of the house, it's going to be a lot more difficult.

Because you were tired and posted in the wrong thread? :D

Or a mod screwed up and merged your post out to the wrong thread.

Either is possible. I'm certain I never saw this thread before getting a notification that my first post was liked, but it was almost 2 am, so... ;)

Well maybe inherited is the wrong word. The working sibling would like to continue making payments on the existing mortgage that was in his mothers name and lived there, I recently found out. However the non-working sibling moved in after the mother's death and is unwilling to leave. "convey sole ownership to the non-working sibling", that sounds like handing the property over to the non-working sibling and letting the property go to waste and inevitably foreclosure. Did I understand you correctly?

Well maybe inherited is the wrong word. The working sibling would like to continue making payments on the existing mortgage that was in his mothers name and lived there, I recently found out. However the non-working sibling moved in after the mother's death and is unwilling to leave. "convey sole ownership to the non-working sibling", that sounds like handing the property over to the non-working sibling and letting the property go to waste and inevitably foreclosure. Did I understand you correctly?

You didn't answer the question of who owns the house. I guess I'll assume they both own it. If they both own it, the non-paying sibling can't be evicted simply for refusing to pay the mortgage, at least not by the other owner. The one who is willing to pay can move in to the house presumably, but I don't see how they're going to make the other person leave.

You didn't answer the question of who owns the house. I guess I'll assume they both own it. If they both own it, the non-paying sibling can't be evicted simply for refusing to pay the mortgage, at least not by the other owner. The one who is willing to pay can move in to the house presumably, but I don't see how they're going to make the other person leave.

I'm sorry, thought I answered your question with .... The working sibling would like to continue making payments on the existing mortgage that was in his mothers name....so I guess neither owns the house and the answers you all have provided, unfortunately sounds like this is going to end badly. However thanks for the help.

The sibling that wants to pay can file a partition action to force the non-paying sibling to sell their half. The paying sibling will then own the property, or it will be sold and the proceeds split. But, I am not a lawyer, and I may be completely wrong. Talk to a real lawyer for the details.

Archived