Article Mentioning The Heights In Dwell Magazine

J008

There's inexpensive and there's inexpensive.

I tip my hat to anyone building anything interesting in this part of the Heights. And I applaud the fact that these are being offered as leases as well as outright purchase, as there is a dearth of rental homes of 3 or more bedrooms, especially close to town. But $2850 per month is the payment on a $400k mortgage. Kudos to the developer, and I'm the last person to criticize someone for charging a market price, but the article reads like building these was an act of charity.

Oh, and where'd they take that picture from? Very deftly framed.

This development is interesting in that it highlights what makes minimalist architecture work. It is the contrast with the existing architectural context and not the minimalist design per se that is what makes minimalism attractive. Put these "row houses" in a subdivision with 200 of them, and it would be flat out depressing and ugly. But, in contrast to the architecture of the Heights, these houses stand out and are interesting. If you like what they did, the same architects did some townhomes at the very bottom of Tulane St. http://www.har.com/HomeValue/730-Tulane-St-Houston-77007-M69718458.htm A bit too dark with the cement siding for my tastes. But, again, another interesting example of minimalism at work.

I wished that the row houses made the greenspace in front of the houses useable space. The tall grass is practical from a xeroscaping stand point, but it gives up so much of the lot to form over function.

Kinda sad that this experiment in minimalism has been outlawed in the Heights. And, more than a bit ironic that someone can appreciate the beauty of the distinctive contrasting architecture in one section of the Heights, while simultaneously vilifying it just a few streets further south.

LOL at the article. It starts off by saying Houston isn't really known for affordable housing. Huh? Since when? Pretty sure as far as major cities go, our housing prices are low.

Then it makes it seem like this team is sweeping in to build hip and affordable housing for the masses when in fact, this price point in that area is quite high.

I like the houses, but come on, those aren't "affordable." I also wonder when will stop labeling new builds as green? There's nothing more green than recycling old HOUSES and not just throwing down some "salvaged" material.

Kinda sad that this experiment in minimalism has been outlawed in the Heights. And, more than a bit ironic that someone can appreciate the beauty of the distinctive contrasting architecture in one section of the Heights, while simultaneously vilifying it just a few streets further south.

This experiment in minimalism is in the Heights. It has been outlawed in the historic districts, which do not take up the entirety of the Heights. The fact that this kind of thing is happening in the Heights just proves that the Historic Districts are well tailored to preserve sections of the Heights with the highest concentrations of historic architecture while leaving plenty of ground for people to do what they want. I appreciate minimalism, but am not that fond of it. My comment was actually part criticism in that I think that minimalism does not stand well on its own, which is not something that architecture should aspire to do.

This experiment in minimalism is in the Heights. It has been outlawed in the historic districts, which do not take up the entirety of the Heights. 

That is precisely my point. One part of the Heights is allowed to experiment (even if we are not fans of the architecture), while another part was arbitrarily disallowed to experiment with their properties. It simply puts in plain view the arrogance of those who believe they know better how to care for my home than I. The arrogant historic buffs travel to other cities, see their old neighborhoods, and wish Houston had the same. So, instead of appreciating Houston for what it is, they come home and impose their will on the residents through strong arm and subterfuge. They believe the ends justifies the means.

I've said it before. They have set back historic preservation in Houston by decades. Thousands of previous historic preservation aficionados...including me...have been turned off to historic preservation by the tactics of the true believers. They'll likely never get us back. The districts in the Heights are doomed. And they have no one to blame but themselves.

• The title was changed to Article Mentioning The Heights In Dwell Magazine

Archived