I'm Looking For Rooftop Access to Take Photographs of Houston

pmolick

Hello all! I'm hoping I can hunt down some secret tips from all you HAIF folks. I've recently undertaken a personal photography project of seeking out unique views of downtown Houston. I'm most interested in elevated views and have high hopes to find some ways of accessing some rooftops in Houston and would love any insider tips!

Here is an example of what I've been able to capture so far:

http://petermolick.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Houston/G0000YreO9HEiDeA/I00000.6FAJoB85I/C0000XeWuFFt6iGM

Please let me know what you think and share if you'd like - THANKS!

*I realized after posting this in skyscrapers that it should probably have been in this section - sorry!

Hey Peter, unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for you on the rooftop access but wanted to say that those pictures of Houston were awesome! Hope you can get some good info because I'd love to see more photos like that. Good luck!

Hey Peter, unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for you on the rooftop access but wanted to say that those pictures of Houston were awesome! Hope you can get some good info because I'd love to see more photos like that. Good luck!

Thanks so much! It's definitely become a pretty serious addiction for me so I will absolutely be updating my website often. Thanks for the good words!

I don't have any rooftop tips, other than becoming a window cleaner or tower crane operator, but there are parking garages that offer some decent views.

Oh, believe me, I've long wanted to become a window cleaner just for the vantage points! Garages have been a great resource so far - thanks!

Go to the top of the new parking garage at Scout Square (on top of Black Finn restaurant). You can take the elevator to the top level and get a great view of downtown, Galleria and most of Med Center......

Yeah, that will get you roughly the same view as the Rise lofts I messaged you about, although at a bit lower elevation.

If you'll sign a waiver, you can climb on my roof. I'll even let you use my ladder. You can't see much except for other roofs, but at least it is a roof. :)

Ha! Thanks - if I run out of downtown roofs and need a new project, I'll let you know.

Go to the top of the new parking garage at Scout Square (on top of Black Finn restaurant). You can take the elevator to the top level and get a great view of downtown, Galleria and most of Med Center......

Yeah, that will get you roughly the same view as the Rise lofts I messaged you about, although at a bit lower elevation.

Perfect guys - thanks! I'll head to both spots. Never know what perspectives I'll get from different elevations until I try.

• 2 weeks later...

Also try the restaurant on top of the Hilton by disco green. Awesome views from up there.

If you really wanna go all out renegade, I've managed to get on the rooftops of wells fargo, chase, 1100 louisiana, texaco heritage and NCNB Tower (now Bank of America). This requires some social engineering, coy use of elevators and stairwells and sometimes picking locks. But it's all worth it once you get up there, what a rush!!

Also try the restaurant on top of the Hilton by disco green. Awesome views from up there.

If you really wanna go all out renegade, I've managed to get on the rooftops of wells fargo, chase, 1100 louisiana, texaco heritage and NCNB Tower (now Bank of America). This requires some social engineering, coy use of elevators and stairwells and sometimes picking locks. But it's all worth it once you get up there, what a rush!!

I'm totally interested in this - thanks!  Might need to learn how to pick a lock or two...

If you can get on top of the maxwell house coffee building I bet that would be a neat perspective on downtown, and probably offer some interesting perspectives of the ship channel.

That's a great tip that I hadn't thought of - will do!

First of all... awesome photos.  

You might check out the top of the parking garage behind the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts.  It's 6 or 7 stories tall.  I remembering needing to park on the roof for a performance, and then basically sitting there for 30 minutes in traffic (on the roof) waiting for the whole structure to clear.  It's been a while, but I recall the view of downtown being pretty nice.

While this may sound ridiculous... you could probably get a cool shot from the top of the ferris wheel at the aquarium.

Two others that will take a bit more panache...

1)  The top floor of the Renaissance hotel is all meeting spaces.  If you show up in business attire in the middle of the day and don't be obnoxious, it shouldn't be a deal (buy a laptop bag for the camera).  Also, there's a straight shot glass elevator to the top, which is pretty cool.

2)  The top floor of the Westin Oaks Galleria is the same.

• 1 month later...

All,

Thanks again so much for the tips/support!  I'd like to extend an invitation to the opening reception for my upcoming exhibition HOUTX, cityscapes of downtown Houston, April 26 from 6-9 PM at the gallery space of m ARCHITECTS at 1206 Nance.

The event page can be accessed here: https://www.facebook.com/events/430241067069327/

post-11779-0-48950300-1364313690_thumb.j

Cheers!

Archived