Public Transit Moneypit!

Houston Strategies Blog

Hey,

Saw this on the Houston Strategies Blog. Seattle is about to spend $11 billion to build 14 miles of monorail.

Houston's plan is only $2 billion for LRT, BRT, and commuter rail and many more miles of it.

Looks like Houston is little more responsible is going for the most bang for a but.

Houston Strategies Blog

Hey,

Saw this on the Houston Strategies Blog. Seattle is about to spend $11 billion to build 14 miles of monorail.

Houston's plan is only $2 billion for LRT, BRT, and commuter rail and many more miles of it.

Looks like Houston is little more responsible is going for the most bang for a but.

Houston doesn't even begin to come close to Seattle's Mass Transit infrastructure. You shouldn't compare the two. Unless you're doing it to make yourself feel better about getting the shaft on METRORail's new plan that gives Houstonians more buses instead of more rail, when the latter is what the voters approved.

Monorail is extremely expensive to build. I'm not at all surprised by the cost of Seattle's monorail expansion compared to the amount Houston is planning to spend on the next phase of transit expansion here.

713 to 214

I was comparing the phase of construction and proposed plan and nothing of the overall system.

If seattle spent anywhere near this much for incremental parts to the rest of their system, I'd be a mad taxpayer and citizen.

What Houston will get for $2 billion dollars is much more than Seattle will get.

At least the BRT's will have rail under them. A long range planning concept that will have Houston set for future expansions at cheaper price.

At least the BRT's will have rail under them.  A long range planning concept that will have Houston set for future expansions at cheaper price.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't share the same view toward future expansion of rail in Houston. Those rails won't be uncovered for another thirty years. . .if ever. I've been watching Houston's attempt to build meaningful rail for the past 25 years. The city always goes in the direction of more roads. . .less rail. The same is tru with this new plan, no matter how much the powers that be try to placate your fears by telling you that "we're setting things up for expansion later." Construction costs are not going to go down. They will only go up over time. Therefore, the ridership numbers needed to justify that "expansion" will continue to go up year after year after year. Get it? But, If you still believe that those buses will be replaced by rail anytime soon, then I've got some land about fifty miles south of New Orleans that I'd lke to sell you.

Seattle's transit infrastructure isn't all that great. Their system, like Houston's, is mostly based on buses. Yeah, there's the monorail downtown, but it is a leftover from a world's fair that connects a few tourist destinations, and it's not even running at the moment due to a fire last year. There's a transit tunnel that buses run in, which is a great feature downtown for fast bus service (kind of a form of BRT). It even had rail lines laid down in it when it was built for eventual conversion to light rail (sound familiar?). However, those rails weren't put down according to the right specifications for LRVs, meaning that in order for light rail service to be started in the tunnel, the rails will have to be dug up and replaced. I think part of Seattle's current transit plan is proposing to do this, at a pretty great expense. The city also has a small amount of light rail, and commuter train service (Sounder) to Tacoma with stops at a number of suburban communities along the way like Kent, Auburn, Sumner, and Puyallup. This service is operated by Sound Transit, a separate authority from Seattle's transit agency.

I'm not saying Seattle's transit system is nothing to be proud of, because it has a lot of things that are better than Houston's. However I wouldn't say that it's many times better than Houston's.

I'm actually from a lot of land 50 miles south of New Orleans, so your sarcasm doesn't work.

Anyway, more roads isn't that bad either. Most people look at the new Toll Facilities as more roads, but they are actually new Mass Transit corridors. They are more options. The BRT lines will require the much needed rebuilding of serveral urban roadways such as Harrisburg. I understand that the rail may not be uncovered for 30 years, so what! I can understand how the demand may take that long.

Rail is not the only answer and will not solve many of our problems. It just give more options. Most of our road traffic problems will not be capacity but efficiency issues in the future. The Katy Freeway project is implementing proven ramp and merging geometrics that reduce congestion. The major freeway to freeway interchanges are getting better geometrics also. This is from years of transportions studies and from my own college course work.

Our bus system before rail ever entered the picture out moves Dallas and Atlanta with their rails and buses for ridership. The old addage if it ain't broke don't fix it applied very well to Houston. Metro is at the point now where new bus lines won't be able to efficiently handle there riders at an acceptable cost. Strategically placed LRT and BRT lines will make a more effective use of the current bus system by consolidating routes.

Houston is getting a rail system (LRT and BRT) that is not unlike many European cities with the new plan. Just look at Berlin, Amsterdam, Munich, Brussels, and Madrid for a few. They have BRT and LRT type lines (running at grade too).

What nice about having a transportion background in college is that I get to see how the public reacts and how proponent and opponents throw out comments for their position. And I'm sitting over here with the realization that not person in each camp has the best solution but parts to the best sollution. Houston traffice will be served best by more roads with the addition of LRT, BRT and commuter rail.

hehe,

I am proud for London. I think they can do a good job. I just don't think Houston was ready for it yet. Maybe 15 to 20 years when we have a larger mass transit system.

I'm glad London beat out Paris especially after the insulting comments Chirac made about them.

Anyway, Subdude, great information on the Seattle transit system.

Actually, London made some disparaging remarks, but the Paris mayor diplomatically brushed it off. Both cities would have been wonderful, and I am happy for London.

Whoops, that is off topic. I think $11 billion for 14 miles of anything is ridiculous. I'll take our $2 billion deal any day, regardless of what former residents think of it.

I was working in London when the committe visited. It was pretty exciting to see all the hub-bub, the debates, etc.

But even they say they don't have enough public transport. When the tube is full, where do you go?

And the part of town where they are going to build most the new stuff could really use it. It reminds me of the ship channel area.

Funny thing about this is that Delay would still probably give Seattle what they wanted if he had the chance before us, even if they are spending a lot of money for a short distance of rail.

^^^^^

How do you base that statement?

For the cost of the seattle thing, i'm surprised it passed through the FTC.

In the end, Delay would little to do with the decision. Delay and Culberson could only help or hurt Houston's effort by influencing the appropriations committee and other committees. Rarely would one representative and/or senator go after another one trying to get money for their district. Chances are Delay would have tried to stop it because it was wastefull and rather it spent on more roads.

It also depends on how much power the congressmen and senators from the seattle area are in DC.

Since this is an architecture forum, its pretty obvious that London has copied everything done on the continental side. They're currently going through a German phase. There's nothing really native there.

For those who actually think that Houston's mass transit system is on par with Seattle's, please visit the following links to make your own comparrison. In my opinion, Houston doesn't come close. Anybody who has actually visited Seattle can tell you the same.

http://www.soundtransit.org/riding/

http://www.soundtransit.org/projects/svc/link/

http://www.soundtransit.org/projects/svc/sounder/

http://www.soundtransit.org/projects/svc/st-express/

http://ridemetro.org/

For those who actually think that Houston's mass transit system is on par with Seattle's, please visit the following links to make your own comparrison.  In my opinion, Houston doesn't come close.  Anybody who has actually visited Seattle can tell you the same.

http://www.soundtransit.org/riding/

http://www.soundtransit.org/projects/svc/link/

http://www.soundtransit.org/projects/svc/sounder/

http://www.soundtransit.org/projects/svc/st-express/

http://ridemetro.org/

So I believe your initial statement was that Houston doesn't even begin to come close to Seattle's Mass Transit infrastructure. As far as I can see, Seattle's initial light rail segment doesn't even open until 2009. It appears they already have commuter rail, but nothing that would make me think that they blow Houston away hands down. Maybe I'm missing something...

Houston, although not rail, has very large dedicated mass transite pathways. Each HOV lane in this city is akin to a commuter railway in many cities. With that included, I say yes Houston does have a great mass transit system on par with Seattle.

Interesting that you mention Seattle for comparison. The websites you refered us to, show 3,400 daily commuters on TWO commuter rail lines. Not exactly setting the transit world on fire.

The light rail segment brags about carrying 750,000 passengers in its first year. Compare that to half a million commuters on Houston's LRT....per MONTH.

Seattles express buses carry 30,000 commuters daily. Their bus system carries the same number of riders annually as Houston's.

So, they have more rail, but carry only 40% as many commuters as Houston's starter line, and their bus system carries the same number as ours.

You're right. There is no comparison.

Thanks RedScare, you beat me to those stats. And yes, 713 to 214, I have visited Seattle. Many times in fact, most recently spending three weeks in that area in May for work. I didn't say Seattle's system was bad, and if you read my post carefully, you'll see that I said they do some things better than us. But in terms of numbers of people moved long distances, Houston has them beat. And Sound Transit, the agency you provided the links for, is not Seattle's inner-city transit system. Sound Transit is the equivalent of Metro's park and ride and express bus service in terms of the area it serves. Sound Transit is designed to get people from the suburbs into downtown Tacoma and Seattle. Local service within the city is provided by King County Metro. When you throw in their bus ridership numbers, Seattle probably carries more passengers on an average weekday than Houston. But again, that's mostly on buses. As RedScare mentioned, there's not a lot of rail service there, and for what rail service there is, ours is much more efficient when you look at ridership per mile. And don't get me started on the joke of a light rail line in Tacoma that runs like 2 miles.

Again I'm not saying Seattle's system isn't better than Houston's. But if it's better, it's only marginally so.

713 to 214

If seattle spent anywhere near this much for incremental parts to the rest of their system, I'd be a mad taxpayer and citizen.

Well then I guess you not living there benefits all parties :)

Anyway, Seattle's public transportation system is great. It's a somewhat more compact part of the country (the city of Seattle is, for all practical purposes, basically one large bottleneck -- just look at it on a map, you'll see what I mean) so the distance traveled per person will never be as much as sprawlier cities but qualitatively the system itself is clean, organized, and efficient relative to other places, including Houston.

Unlike Houston's shady backroom dealings Seattle runs on a type of populism that involves getting everyone's opinion and making sure everyone is happy. That's probably why it's taken them so long to put in a lrt/monorail/whatever they're planning now system and why it seems like they keep changing it. Once they actually get around to building the thing there's no doubt in my mind that it will be hugely popular. I guess we'll see soon enough, won't we?

^^^^^

How do you base that statement? 

For the cost of the seattle thing, i'm surprised it passed through the FTC.

In the end, Delay would little to do with the decision.  Delay and Culberson could only help or hurt Houston's effort by influencing the appropriations committee and other committees.  Rarely would one representative and/or senator go after another one trying to get money for their district.  Chances are Delay would have tried to stop it because it was wastefull and rather it spent on more roads.

It also depends on how much power the congressmen and senators from the seattle area are in DC.

Im not saying he has the ability to do it, I guess I was just thinking to myself and I typed it. But what I meant is that if he did have the ability to control what other cities did get, im sure he'd rather give to them than to Houston.

But ignore my post, it was just rubbish.

Archived