Affordable Houston Housing

Subdude

I10 west from DT to Shepherd is also a raceway during the afternoon rush hour, though it does start to bog down @ Washington or even TC Jester.

Yep, just past Washington when they start peeling away the lanes for the 610 interchange is when it starts to go to hell...and by the time you get to under 610 where construction starts, you're screwed in the butt.

One other affordable inner-loop neighborhood that has not been discussed here is Lindale Park. East of the Heights, bordered by 610 on the North, Cavalcade on the South, Fulton on the West and Robertson St. on the East.

The West side is mostly brick homes, with the ones on the farthest west side more post war ranch and the ones just west of Irvington cottage style. Similiar to the cottages that used to be behind the River Oaks shopping center, or in West U, before they were torn down for McMansions. The eastern portions are more wood-frame. Houses can still be bought in the low-100's, but prices are climbing fast. Lindale has posted some of the fastest appreciation in the city according to the Crawford Realty Advisors charts. they have patchwork deed restrictions, and the typical commercial encroachments along Irvington, which looks pretty rough. Once you get off of Irvington, overall it is in decent shape and has an active civic group. I believe currently things are available from $112k to $185k range.

The neighborhood civic group did a web-site, www.lindalepark.org

Its still not too late to get a deal in Lindale, but your choices are a lot more limited if you are looking under $150k. There are many homes on double lots which may invite townhome redevelopment. The civic group has been working on the prevailing lot size applications & deed restrictions to help limit that. Once the rail goes up the West side, the pressure will probably be on with the cookie-cutter townhome developers. The cheapest houses are on Kelley, which backs up to 610 north. There is a large sound wall, but you still have some freeway noise to contend with.

Its still not too late to get a deal in Lindale, but your choices are a lot more limited if you are looking under $150k.  There are many homes on double lots which may invite townhome redevelopment.  The civic group has been working on the prevailing lot size applications & deed restrictions to help limit that.    Once the rail goes up the West side, the pressure will probably be on with the cookie-cutter townhome developers.  The cheapest houses are on Kelley, which backs up to 610 north.  There is a large sound wall, but you still have some freeway noise to contend with.

Yeah.....when I was house looking over there I stopped and talked to a woman who lived on Woodard and she said that she can hear the traffic in the mornings, and I stopped on Kelley to listen once and it was way way too noisy for my taste. Yeah...I'm thinking the civic association will keep the TH redev pretty much nill....espescially as property values climb, and the residents become progressively more snobbish.

• 1 month later...
One other affordable  inner-loop neighborhood that has not been discussed here is Lindale Park.  East of the Heights,  bordered by 610 on the North, Cavalcade on the South, Fulton on the West and Robertson St. on the East.

I moved from the Heights to Lindale early last year and am extremely happy with the decision. Bought a house on English for <$100 k. I challenge anyone to drive down English street and tell me there is a better deal anywhere inside the loop, particularly with Light Rail extension coming in 2008 (or 2009, or 2010, or...).

I think the speculators are West of Fulton (not part of Lindale), where prices are cheaper, structures are collapsing and there are no deed restrictions. Although most people in Lindale Park are living under the illusion that their Deed Restrictions are valid

I moved from the Heights to Lindale early last year and am extremely happy with the decision.  Bought a house on English for <$100 k.  I challenge anyone to drive down English street and tell me there is a better deal anywhere inside the loop, particularly with Light Rail extension coming in 2008 (or 2009, or 2010, or...).

I think the speculators are West of Fulton (not part of Lindale), where prices are cheaper, structures are collapsing and there are no deed restrictions.  Although most people in Lindale Park are living under the illusion that their Deed Restrictions are valid

That brings up a question. I was talking with someone that was getting ready to build on a vacant lot (neighborhood eludes me), he had originally wanted to do what you describe above: build a garage apartment to live in until he could build the house. But legally he couldn't. Was this just stiff deed restrictions? Not a city ordinance or anything?

In his case he was going to start building the house immediately afterwards but was planning on taking his time since he wanted to do most of the work himself with only minor contract help.

That brings up a question. I was talking with someone that was getting ready to build on a vacant lot (neighborhood eludes me), he had originally wanted to do what you describe above: build a garage apartment to live in until he could build the house. But legally he couldn't. Was this just stiff deed restrictions? Not a city ordinance or anything?

It's got to be deed restrictions. There's no city ordinance preventing garage apartments. Our neighborhood is full of them, most dating from the 30s & 40s; the time the homes were built, and were probably built before the house, like your friend wants to do. We're in the process of trying to get deed restrictions passed after they were allowed to expire a long time ago. One of the restrictions is against garage apartments, althought the existing ones will be allowed to stay. The problem is that nowadays, as opposed to half a century ago, they end up being rented and even a childless couple has 2 cars and, since the yard is taken up by the garage apartment, there's no place to park except in the street or on the lawn.

I'm personally OK with them and want to build one myself like your friend does, but I'd only rent it to a single person with one car that would fit inside the garage alongside mine.

In his case he was going to start building the house immediately afterwards but was planning on taking his time since he wanted to do most of the work himself with only minor contract help.

Yes, I think it is DRs too. The DRs for Lindale Park say that a temporary structure or mobile home can't be placed on the lot, and they do say that you can't have a multifamly dwelling on a lot, but it also says that garage apartments are excepted from the multifamily rule. I don't see what would be wrong with building a permanent garage apartment to live in temporarily, in LP anyways.

But, I think you will admit that it takes an adventurous spirit to choose that area for your home.

That's what people told me when I bought in the Heights. Many years later I got out and moved to Glenbrook Valley. I guess I'm adventurous.

But, I think you will admit that it takes an adventurous spirit to choose that area for your home.

That's what people told me when I bought in the Heights. Many years later I got out and moved to Glenbrook Valley. I guess I'm adventurous.

And don't let Stolitx make you think they're suffering for the move either, rumour has it they are living large in high mod style with a courtyard pool. Maybe we can get a picture posted so people can see how the adventurous half live?!.... :P

• 3 years later...