Heights Telephone Building On Harvard St.

Plumb Bob

I'm looking for any photos of the Houston Home Telephone building on Harvard Street, between 4th and 5th. It was about three lots down from 5th Street. The approximate address was 430 Harvard Street.

This was not the Southwestern Bell buildings located at the corner of Harvard and 8th.

This was a single story, flat roofed building, on the east side of the street. It was built circa 1912. It was owned and operated by the Houston Home Telephone Company until 1915. It may be referred to as the Heights Telephone Company (building).

Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone, (prior to becoming Southwestern Bell), bought them out in 1915. The building was sold and became a residence.

My understanding is that the flat roofed building stood there until the early 1980's; and was torn down, after falling into disrepair.

There is now a shot-gun style house on the lot, (please don't bother the owner).

I would be particularly interested in getting a hi-res scan of any photos, news print articles, or telephone directory(s) that anyone might have. The directories should say Houston Home Telephone on them.

Houston Home Telephone used automatic switching equipment, but there should have been a telephone operator or two that worked out of that building. These operators were more than likely female and could have lived in the Heights.

I would be interested in getting any information on these workers as well.

Thanks for looking.

• The title was changed to Heights Telephone Building
  • The title was changed to Heights Telephone Building On Harvard St.

Archived