Small Apartment Complexes In The Heights

redant

I am a female considering moving into a small apartment complex in the Heights area near Harvard Elementary. The parking is outside the apartment building place is fenced. Does that sound safe? Will my car be broken into alot? I would like to know if anyone has information on how safe the smaller apartment complexes are throught the Heights. Thank you.

I asked the property manager she said there were no problems there for about 3 years since she has been there. It's just that I am living North of I10 now washington and studemont area and I park on the street and my window has been smashed 3 times within 1.5 years. I also was not sure if there was alot of theft and robbery in the Heights. I do love the area just concerned for my safety.

The window smashing almost always happens only to street-parked cars. The culprits don't like the risks of driveways or parking lots.

This.

But keep in mind, these petty thefts happen everywhere. Don't leave anything valuable in your car = significantly reduced risk of someone breaking your window.

I am a female considering moving into a small apartment complex in the Heights area near Harvard Elementary. The parking is outside the apartment building place is fenced. Does that sound safe? Will my car be broken into alot? I would like to know if anyone has information on how safe the smaller apartment complexes are throught the Heights. Thank you.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I've lived in a couple big apartment complexes and a few small-aparment complexes (4-8 units). I've never had any trouble in the small complexes, but at the bigger I've had my bike stolen twice, car broken into 4 times (on average once every 18 mo), and apartment burglarized. It is probably just luck, but I do think there are some more organized criminals who prey on the larger apartments. There most certainly will be a car with something visibly worth stealing, an apartment with a three day old UPS sticker on the door worth breaking into ( the reason I think my apartment was burglarized), and there are so many people living there that you can't possibly know everyone that should or shouldn't be around.

I wouldn't say smaller apartments are safer, but from my personal experience that has been the case. As far as car being broken into, just be religious about not leaving anything in sight and have insurance.

The window smashing almost always happens only to street-parked cars. The culprits don't like the risks of driveways or parking lots.

Actually, the window smashers go where ever they want and some prefer parking lots. I used to live in a complex near Allen Pkwy that had a multi-floor gated parking garage. The smash and grab people would sneak in and pop a dozen windows in a few minutes and get away with all kinds of goodies people leave in their cars. They are everywhere and no one is immune. I once went to the dog park on Dunlavy near Richmond. I parked on the street about 100 yards from the park. After spending about 15 min in the dog park, I walked back and saw that someone had smashed the window of the car next to me. This was in broad daylight at 2:00 pm on a weekend.

Small apartment complexes in the Heights are generally pretty quiet and good places to live. You should definitely go for it. But you will not find anywhere inside the loop that is immune from crime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Small Apartment Complexes In The Heights