Houston Galveston Regional Plan

trymahjong

HOUSTON GALVESTON REGIONAL PLAN

Help make the vision for a better tomorrow a reality!

Your input is important.

The City of Houston along with regional partners and the Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC) are kicking off an ambitious two-year project to develop a regional plan for sustainable development. Attend any of the three meetings to share your vision for Houston and our region. Your input is important.

Why Now? The 13-county region is expected to see 4 million new residents in the next 30 years.

Where will those residents live? How will this change affect quality of life? How will people move around the region? The Houston Galveston Regional Plan is an important chance to look forward and find ways to keep our communities prosperous, healthy, and attractive for generations to come.

Plan Focus: The plan explores opportunities to improve the region's most significant resources:

- clean air and water - good jobs - safe and attractive neighborhoods - affordable housing - transportation choices - open spaces and parks

Participate: Come share your ideas about what you would like your community and region to look like for future generations.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon

Hiram Clark Multi-Service Center

3810 W. Fuqua

Houston, TX 77045

Saturday, February 18, 2012

St. Martin's Episcopal Church

717 Sage Road

Houston, TX 77056

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Ripley House Neighborhood Center

4410 Navigation

Houston, TX 77011

To learn more about the plan, share your ideas, and/or sign up for updates visit http://www.ourregion.org/ or send an email to ourregion@h-gac.com or contact Anna Sedillo at Anna.Sedillo@houstontx.gov. For further information, call 713.463.8200.

So what's the current plan? "Build Grand Parkway" "Encourage sprawl"?

H-GAC's current "plan" is more of a non-scientific projection. They mostly just interviewed elected leaders at the County and City level, assigned a percent share of regional growth according to whether the elected leaders wanted or expected it, and then crammed it into any open or re-developable space that they could identify. So, the folks at Harris County were really aggressive and the resulting projection requires that every square inch of the county gets developed right up to the county lines on all sides...beyond which (because Liberty and Waller were so complacent in their projections) there is zero growth and agrarian economy. But that's not realistic, especially to the far northeast and northwestern tips of Harris County. Another tendency was for the outlying counties to project growth within small towns like Angleton and Dayton, even as the surrounding countryside remains countryside, but that's unrealistic too.

It was a bad plan, and it was not actionable.

H-GAC's current "plan" is more of a non-scientific projection. They mostly just interviewed elected leaders at the County and City level, assigned a percent share of regional growth according to whether the elected leaders wanted or expected it, and then crammed it into any open or re-developable space that they could identify. So, the folks at Harris County were really aggressive and the resulting projection requires that every square inch of the county gets developed right up to the county lines on all sides...beyond which (because Liberty and Waller were so complacent in their projections) there is zero growth and agrarian economy. But that's not realistic, especially to the far northeast and northwestern tips of Harris County. Another tendency was for the outlying counties to project growth within small towns like Angleton and Dayton, even as the surrounding countryside remains countryside, but that's unrealistic too.

It was a bad plan, and it was not actionable.

1. You are apparently referring to HGAC's Regional Growth Forecast, not the Regional Transportation Plan.

2. Your description of the methodology is inaccurate, as is your description of the results of the forecast.

1. You are apparently referring to HGAC's Regional Growth Forecast, not the Regional Transportation Plan.

These meetings are for input on the RTP? Are you sure? Seems like a lot of the subject matter is peripheral or off-topic.

2. Your description of the methodology is inaccurate, as is your description of the results of the forecast.

That's how H-GAC explained it to me when I brought up the issue of the county lines being such hard-and-fast demarcations. I actually had to use that data, and therefore had to understand how and why it was worthless.

These meetings are for input on the RTP? Are you sure? Seems like a lot of the subject matter is peripheral or off-topic.

That's how H-GAC explained it to me when I brought up the issue of the county lines being such hard-and-fast demarcations. I actually had to use that data, and therefore had to understand how and why it was worthless.

It indeed seems as though the current meetings are for a plan other than the RTP. Nevertheless, your comments regarding their "current plan" were apparently related to the growth forecast.

Their growth forecast does not show any hard-and-fast demarcations along county lines such as you described.. I provided the link to the growth forecast.

It indeed seems as though the current meetings are for a plan other than the RTP. Nevertheless, your comments regarding their "current plan" were apparently related to the growth forecast.

Apparently, yes. Maybe they've refined their useless projection methodology even more uselessly. That's my speculation.

Their growth forecast does not show any hard-and-fast demarcations along county lines such as you described.. I provided the link to the growth forecast.

Yes it does. Look at the population distribution. You can clearly make out where the county lines are between Harris and Waller/Liberty/Chambers. That it isn't a sharp line is only due to the fact that they're displaying a grid by the square mile, which takes a weighted average of growth projections at a finer scale. There are even spots along the Montgomery county lines with Waller and Liberty and along the Galveston county line with Brazoria where you can see demarcations.

Apparently, yes. Maybe they've refined their useless projection methodology even more uselessly. That's my speculation.

Yes it does. Look at the population distribution. You can clearly make out where the county lines are between Harris and Waller/Liberty/Chambers. That it isn't a sharp line is only due to the fact that they're displaying a grid by the square mile, which takes a weighted average of growth projections at a finer scale. There are even spots along the Montgomery county lines with Waller and Liberty and along the Galveston county line with Brazoria where you can see demarcations.

What are you smoking, dude? ;-)

Archived