Dallas #3

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to sign up to say that Uptown Houston and Las Colinas are not that similar. One has massive traffic, a large mall, many hotels, many high rises, many many restaurants and shops, etc. etc...... the other has one nice hotel, hardly any shops, a few restaurants and offices... although it does have a couple nice golf courses....

What is considered the platinum corridor? I've heard of the Telecom corridor?

I think Uptown Houston is very very similar to the Galleria/Addison area.

You got the correct area. The DNT @LBJ and north is called the platinum corridor. The buildings on the horizon in the pic.

wpe3E.jpg

As for one Uptown blowing the other away, it's hard to make a comparison. One is a very urban, mostly residential area, the other is more similar to Far North Dallas. Even the large projects like Victory, the IC, and the WV, Uptown Dallas is moving directly towards a more traditional urban setup. Even though 3 sides are bound by freeways, its never had the characteristics of a Platinum Corridor or Uptown Houston.

Are the buildings taller in Houston? Yes.

Is Dallas' Uptown more urban? Yes.

Who can say which one is "better?" Nobody. It's completely subjective.

Very true. Which is why these discussions go nowhere fast. In any event, how meaningful is it to compare two neighborhoods in two different cities just because they both happen to be nicknamed "Uptown", but are otherwise unrelated? That's like trying to compare Commerce St in Dallas and Commerce St in Houston because they are both named "Commerce". It's not a true basis of comparison.

Very true.  Which is why these discussions go nowhere fast.  In any event, how meaningful is it to compare two neighborhoods in two different cities just because they both happen to be nicknamed "Uptown", but are otherwise unrelated?  That's like trying to compare Commerce St in Dallas and Commerce St in Houston because they are both named "Commerce".  It's not a true basis of comparison.

That's a very good point too. Just because they are named the same thing does not mean they are related.

Very good point, Subdude!

Eh boy, not again.

Exactly my feelings, Space City.

You know, I've given up on this whole Dallas - Houston thing. I've tried to be very complimentary of Dallas (I lived there for four years)- and I contend its a great city and that there are some really cool things going on there. I REALLY appreciate the folks up there that contribute to this website and let us stay aware of what's happening in the Metroplex. Same for Austin... I'm glad, as a Houstonian, that we share the same state with these cities.

Unfortunately, no matter what the subject in the Dallas discussion area... the Houston "bigger, badder, better" comments come into it. Thats just the way it is... and I guess always will be. Anytime I comment about how we can learn from each other, the comments are ignored and the "friendly" rivalry just goes on and on. And goodness, if you say anything like, "Can we get back to the subject?" - you get blasted by the usual suspects who say the whole "Dallas vs. Houston thing is fun" and "What's your problem? - It is only good natured kidding!" So, I'll just let it go and hope - just hope - that one day a Dallas thread can stay on topic. Rose-colored glasses though.... heck, I'll just be happy if we can put architecture back in this Houston ARCHITECTURE website...

One more thing If I recall, doesn't all of houston's professional sports teams reside in the city of houston? The ranger's are out side of dallas as are the cowboys.They are not within dallas's city limits. As for soccar, if thats spelled right, i don't know where they play, so excluding them dallas only as a city has two professional sports teams.

One more thing If I recall, doesn't all of houston's professional sports teams reside in the city of houston? The ranger's are out side of dallas as are the cowboys.They are not within dallas's city limits. As for soccar, if thats spelled right, i don't know where they play, so excluding them dallas only as a city has two professional sports teams.

*Soccer ;)

This should ruffle a few feathers: semipro, rep, 2112, and especially montrose, I can't wait to see your responses. You guys crack me up that you take this kind of stuff sooooooooooooo seriously.

Dallas Stars ('99 Stanley Cup Champions) Houston Aeros (Not in NHL)

Dallas Cowboys (5-time NFL Champions, 8 superbowl appearances) Houston Texans (expansion team that stole its name from Dallas' 1st team after Oilers bolted for Tennessee; Never been to the Superbowl)

Texas Rangers (Oh well can't win em all) Houston Astros (Oh well can't win em all)

Dallas Mavericks (pretty good, getting better) Houston Rockets (2-time NBA Champs but MJ was playing baseball those two years)

FC Dallas formerly Dallas Burn (MLS team) Houston does not have major league soccer

This is getting boring now. Who cares about how many teams dallas has, WOW, you wanna cookie? All I know, houston will always be #1 in texas, while dallas got beaten by san antonio made y'all drop down to 3rd. Houston always been more of a city like, while dallas was more country feel. But me, I'm not worried about it. Dallas cowboys wanna get a new stadium, cause why? Houston got a brand new stadium that host the superbowl, now dallas wanna copy and share the glory. But like i said, I don't care, houston always will be #1 in texas.

This should ruffle a few feathers: semipro, rep, 2112, and especially montrose, I can't wait to see your responses.  You guys crack me up that you take this kind of stuff sooooooooooooo seriously.

Dallas Stars ('99 Stanley Cup Champions)                Houston Aeros (Not in NHL)

Dallas Cowboys (5-time NFL Champions, 7 superbowl appearances) Houston Texans (expansion team that stole its name from Dallas' 1st team after Oilers bolted for Tennessee; Never been to the Superbowl)

Texas Rangers (Oh well can't win em all)    Houston Astros (Oh well can't win em all)

Dallas Mavericks (pretty good, getting better)    Houston Rockets (2-time NBA Champs)

FC Dallas formerly Dallas Burn (MLS team)  Houston does not have major league soccer

:blink:

Actually, I find this topic uninteresting.

I'm bored.

But hey, thanks for dropping by.

:D

^_^   My feathers are still on my wings...

So what if you have more teams (or whatever), it still doesn't add to the fact your #3 in Texas, and San Antonio is #2... :lol:

come to think of it, who came closer to the World Series? I think it was the Astros... and what League is on strick? the NHL... and that would be, the Stars, and not the Aeros...

Wow, helluva comeback!

This is getting boring now. Who cares about how many teams dallas has, WOW, you wanna cookie? All I know, houston will always be #1 in texas, while dallas got beaten by san antonio made y'all drop down to 3rd. Houston always been more of a city like, while dallas was more country feel. But me, I'm not worried about it. Dallas cowboys wanna get a new stadium, cause why? Houston got a brand new stadium that host the superbowl, now dallas wanna copy and share the glory. But like i said, I don't care, houston always will be #1 in texas.

Another impressive comeback. Also, have you ever been to Dallas? Please tell me what is country about it? The Dallas Cowboys desire for a new stadium has nothing to do with Houston and everything to do with a NATIONAL SPORTS TREND! In addition, it will significantly increase the value of the franchise, which is second only to the Yanks. We all know Jerry Jones is business man. Money talks.

Archived