Dallas #3

Now it's time for a serious question. I hope that I can get some serious answers.

1. What does living in the most (#1) populated city in Texas mean to you?

2. How do you think living in the most (#1) populated city in Texas affects your quality of life?

3. Why do you think Houston is the most (#1) populated city in Texas?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is getting boring now. Who cares about how many teams dallas has

You sound like my son when he doesn't get his way. . . sounds sort of like: "If I can't win, then I'm going to take my ball and go home"

WOW, you wanna cookie?

Yes. Chocolate Chip please. :P

Houston always been more of a city like, while dallas was more country feel.

Huh? :huh:

But me, I'm not worried about it.

You're not?. . Could have fooled me.

Dallas cowboys wanna get a new stadium, cause why? Houston got a brand new stadium that host the superbowl, now dallas wanna copy and share the glory.

You obviously don't have a clue. . . do you? Larger stadiums (no matter what sport) with more seats and luxury suites = more money for team owners. . .and yes, Tagliabue has already said the Superbowl WILL be in Dallas in 2011.

houston always will be #1 in texas.

Except in Football! :D

I personally have no problem with Dallas. I think it's a cool city that once received the most recognition in Texas and is trying to do steps so it will stay that way. I mean, Dallas considers themselves the TEXAS STAR, The #1 visitor destination in TEXAS. But let's just face it, Dallas does not have a larger population than Houston. Houston is at least twice as big in the city limits alone. While Dallas does not have as strong of a city as Houston, Houston doesn't have as strong as a metro as Dallas/Ft Worth and all the other cities in between. One thing Dallas knows how to do is to build more impressive individual buildings and my thing (they know how to light them up at night :) ). But to me, when i went to Dallas, it just seemed like i was visiting a giant city with a pretty skyline and nothing more. No character or anything that says "This is Dallas". I think Houston has alot of history and we have a lot simply in the school i attend. TSU was the only college blacks could attend because they were excluded from University of Houston long time ago. RACIST BASTARDS!!! Houston also has Rice U, and other nice colleges

Dallas has the Kennedy assasination thing but i didn't really see anything else that would warrant me making a second trip back there except for a live look at the skyline. I think what makes Houston so much more impressive is the fact that it has so many buildings up inside the city limits in different areas of the town. Dallas has many empty areas. Dallas may have a slightly more urban uptown area but i'm a sucker for tall buildings so i think uptown houston takes out dallas's uptown. Houston has more culture and diversity, which makes it more interesting to me. I as an African American have a more appreciation for culture mixes than anything else a city could offer so houstonsemipro is right, houston will always be #1 in Texas. Just ask skyscrapercity.com on the poll they did :)

P.S. Sorry for the storybook long post

greystone08 (no doubt, your name is inspired by the apartments next to TSU's campus, and located across the street from Frenchy's) while I appreciate your comments, it appears to me that when you visited Dallas, you didn't have the right tour guide. Dallas is much more than the JFK Memorial, Reunion Tower, etc.

It appears that your travels within Dallas were pretty limited, and being an educated college student you know that you can't make wholesale judgements based upon a limited perspective. Say I came to Houston to visit a friend in 3rd Ward, but he/she never took me past I45 or 288 or 610? My impression would be that Houston is all about what I would see on MLK, Cullen, Scott, Elgin, etc. . . You get where I'm comming from? (I know many other parts of Houston b/c I used to live there for years, and my business takes me there about every other week. However, I used the 3rd Ward area as an example b/c I figured that you could relate better to that example)

The bottom line is that you need more exposure to Dallas than just 1 visit before you can formulate an educated opinion. Next time you come to town, try to get out and see more things, ride the DART Rail to Cityplace Station (only subway station in the southwest), West Villiage and Mockingbird Station, Ride Dallas' McKinney Avenue Trolley in its Uptown District. Experience nightlife in Downtown at places like Jeroboam, Club BLUE, Purgatory, Manhattan Bar & Grill, Tpheze's. Experience the Deep Ellum district (similar to Montrose, but I think much more lively at night). Visit Dallas' Arts district with the World Renowned Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas Museum of Art, Crowe Exhibit of Asian Art. Go shopping at Northpark Center and the Dallas Galleria (just underwent major renovation, however Houston's is still better). Take the Trinity Railway Express (Dallas' & Ft. Worth's Commuter Rail line) to Fort Worth and visit Sundance Square, Kimball Art Museum (internationally recognized), and Fort Worth Zoo (great place). I could go on, and on, and on. . .but you get the idea.

The thing about Dallas is that they have a really nice rail transit system. I used to drive to Dallas every other week during the late 80's, to see my then girlfriend. I know things have certainly changed there. But, the one thing that still baffles me is why Houston does NOT have AT LEAST as nice of a rail system. I dont see near the traffic and congestion in Dallas that I see in Houston. It seems like Houston needs it a helluvalot more. It's almost like Dallas built the thing as much for the image of an urban setting and maybe not too much because they actually NEEDED it. Meanwhile, Houston needs in a big way and it doesnt have it. Go figure.

The thing about Dallas is that they have a really nice rail transit system.  I used to drive to Dallas every other week during the late 80's, to see my then girlfriend.  I know things have certainly changed there.  But, the one thing that still baffles me is why Houston does NOT have AT LEAST as nice of a rail system.  I dont see near the traffic and congestion in Dallas that I see in Houston.  It seems like Houston needs it a helluvalot more.  It's almost like Dallas built the thing as much for the image of an urban setting and maybe not too much because they actually NEEDED it.  Meanwhile, Houston needs in a big way and it doesnt have it.  Go figure.

You pose an interesting question. One to which there is an answer. . .POLITICS!! As a matter of fact, this is being discussed, in part, in the "Delay Lied To Us About METRO?" Thread.

Let me say that any top 15 city (population) needs mass transit. The reason Dallas' rail system is bigger and better is because Dallas didn't have as much resistance from its political leaders as Houston did to the idea of mass transit. As a matter of fact North Texas' political leaders really got behind DART and pushed for the federal funding to make it happen. I would have to say they were more forward thinking. Additionally the citizens of DART area cities voted for bonds to speed up expansion. (maybe citizens of Noth Texas are more forward thinking b/c we have a lot of people move here from other cities w/ rail.

Houston, on the other hand, has the likes of Tom Delay to deal with. His staunch support of anything anti-rail is a HUGE reason why METRO's rail line is paultry, and will continue to lag behind Dallas in terms of expansion. Simply put, Delay and others discretely make sure that the feds don't send the money to Houston for such projects, because all Mr Delay wants is roads, roads, and more roads. He views METRORAIL as a system that will only service a sliver of the Greater Houston population (mostly poor people). . .and unfortunately, if he gets his way, that's just what's going to happen (very few will be served b/c the system won't expand very much, and when it does, it will be at a slow pace, and Houstonians will become frustrated with the expansion's failure to keep up with Houston's growth ). As a matter of fact, Houston wouldn't even have its starter line if METRO didn't pay for it ouf of its own coffers. . .which led to other problems (less funding = poor design = an all at-grade line = multiple stops at traffic intersections = too much intermingling with cars = Houston being the light rail/car crash capital of the world)

You're right, Houston needs Rail more than Dallas because Houston is soooo spread out. However, Dallas needs it too, and it may be part of the reason why you don't see as much traffic in Dallas, because DART is taking a lot of people out of their cars and onto light rail. But, then again, if you haven't been to Dallas since the 80's then your perception is waaaay off anyway.

greystone08 (no doubt, your name is inspired by the apartments next to TSU's campus, and located across the street from Frenchy's) while I appreciate your comments, it appears to me that when you visited Dallas, you didn't have the right tour guide.  Dallas is much more than the JFK Memorial, Reunion Tower, etc.

It appears that your travels within Dallas were pretty limited, and being an educated college student you know that you can't make wholesale judgements based upon a limited perspective.  Say I came to Houston to visit a friend in 3rd Ward, but he/she never took me past I45 or 288 or 610?  My impression would be that Houston is all about what I would see on MLK, Cullen, Scott, Elgin, etc. . . You get where I'm comming from? (I know many other parts of Houston b/c I used to live there for years, and my business takes me there about every other week.  However, I used the 3rd Ward area as an example b/c I figured that you could relate better to that example)

The bottom line is that you need more exposure to Dallas than just 1 visit before you can formulate an educated opinion.  Next time you come to town, try to get out and see more things, ride the DART Rail to Cityplace Station (only subway station in the southwest), West Villiage and Mockingbird Station, Ride Dallas' McKinney Avenue Trolley in its Uptown District.  Experience nightlife in Downtown at places like Jeroboam, Club BLUE, Purgatory, Manhattan Bar & Grill, Tpheze's.  Experience the Deep Ellum district (similar to Montrose, but I think much more lively at night).  Visit Dallas' Arts district with the World Renowned Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas Museum of Art, Crowe Exhibit of Asian Art.  Go shopping at Northpark Center and the Dallas Galleria (just underwent major renovation, however Houston's is still better).  Take the Trinity Railway Express (Dallas' & Ft. Worth's Commuter Rail line) to Fort Worth and visit Sundance Square, Kimball Art Museum (internationally recognized), and Fort Worth Zoo (great place).  I could go on, and on, and on. . .but you get the idea.

I appreciate your comments and you're right to a certain extent. However, i will say that I went to Deep Ellum district on a Friday and Saturday night and maybe i could stand to give it a second chance, but i'm sorry, it was wack the two nights i went. I think i've been to Dallas enough times to give an educated opinion considering the fact that my grandfather used to live there before he died and i have plenty of cousins and other relatives out there that i visited on several occasions. And maybe you're right, Dallas is a big place and everything might not pop out but i will say: The Dallas Galleria looked like a cheap imitation of Houston's and it was way smaller. We rode DART for several miles all the way through downtown and Deep Ellum. The ONE thing i wish i could've done was gone uptown Dallas and seen what it was about. Granted, Maybe i could use a tour guide because my last visit, we didn't plan the trip very well. But our visit to San Antonio was planned in the same fashion and we had a blast. My impression of Dallas was more of a romantic setting. We went to the reunion tower and it was just absolutely gorgeous. i could stand to pay Dallas another visit but i just think that Dallas is more about showing off and i really don't think that first impression i got will change.

greystone, thanks for rethinking your position. btw, what would be comparable things in Houston to do? Please spare me the hanging out at the restaurants thing though (i.e. Cabbos, Pappadeaux, etc.). That's really not my thing. :rolleyes:

By the way, DART rail doesn't go through Deep Ellum yet. Maybe you went through the Cedars Area which is immediately south of Downtown and at the Cedars Station stop, there is the brand new Gilley's (a la Pasadena). Did you happen to see that?

Sounds like you probably came down for the Grambling vs. Prairie View game. Was that the Friday and Saturday you were speaking of?

And as for the Galleria. . .Yeah, Houston's is the original, and the best. However, as I stated earlier, Dallas' just underwent a major expansion/renovation from top to bottom, and added a Grand Lux Cafe (Cheesecake Factory's upscale cousin) (only two others in the U.S. - L.A. & Chicago). All of that said, Houston's Galleria is still the best. . .especially with the new phase 3.

By the way, if you enjoy eating at restaurants, as opposed to just hanging around the bar, well, Dallas has 1 of 2 Il Mulino's (NYC has the other), 1 of 5 Oceanaires (Seattle, DC, Minneapolis and Indianapolis the others), and now one of 4 Nobu's (NYC, Miami, Las Vegas being the ones I know about). That makes a pretty big statement, especially with other peer cities like Houston and Atlanta.

The thing about Dallas is that they have a really nice rail transit system.  I used to drive to Dallas every other week during the late 80's, to see my then girlfriend.  I know things have certainly changed there.  But, the one thing that still baffles me is why Houston does NOT have AT LEAST as nice of a rail system.  I dont see near the traffic and congestion in Dallas that I see in Houston.  It seems like Houston needs it a helluvalot more.  It's almost like Dallas built the thing as much for the image of an urban setting and maybe not too much because they actually NEEDED it.  Meanwhile, Houston needs in a big way and it doesnt have it.  Go figure.

That means houston has more population then dallas, and yes houston needs more highways. That's why they granted houston 4.1 billion dollars in transportation. 177,000 people move into houston last year, and the numbers continue to grow they mention.

Also, the team cowboys nor texas rangers is not in the city of dallas. Look at the new stadium they building, its not in dallas, its on the outskirts of dallas. In Houston, everything is in the city limits. The only thing is in dallas is the nba basketball team. When dallas, or should I say Arlington, TX get's the superbowl, its not going to have a great impact like houston did, and of course houston is expected to host the superbpwl again in 2009 or 2010.

That means houston has more population then dallas, and yes houston needs more highways. That's why they granted houston 4.1 billion dollars in transportation. 177,000 people move into houston last year, and the numbers continue to grow they mention.

Also, the team cowboys nor texas rangers is not in the city of dallas. Look at the new stadium they building, its not in dallas, its on the outskirts of dallas. In Houston, everything is in the city limits. The only thing is in dallas is the nba basketball team. When dallas, or should I say Arlington, TX get's the superbowl, its not going to have a great impact like houston did, and of course houston is expected to host the superbpwl again in 2009 or 2010.

Ha Ha HA HA HA HA :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

semipro, you just can't let the whole 'we got more people than you got' thing go. . .can you? You're begining to make me think that you know nothing else about Houston to brag about. As a matter of fact, I bet I know more about Houston than you do. You know, you really are not qualified to be the spokesperson on behalf of your fellow Houstonians. Do yourself a favor. . . find something else to say other than Houston has more people than Dallas. . .because no one disputes that. You obviously think that fact makes Houston better. . .so please articulate to me why it does in your mind. Otherwise, do us all a favor and stop regurgitating the same thing over, and over, and over, and over again.

You might want to look at post "121" for guidance. :D

Here. End it on this. I've lived in the Dallas area all my life except for two years in Houston. They're both fine cities. However, my observation is that you can take a Dallasite's opinion of Dallas and cut it in half to get an accurate gauge. You can take a Houstonian's opinion of Houston and double it to get an accurate gauge. (Although, that may not hold true for posters on these boards).

Houston usually exceeds my expectations. Dallas is great, too but not at the level you'd imagine by reading through boards like this.

Ha Ha HA HA HA HA  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

semipro, you just can't let the whole 'we got more people than you got' thing go. . .can you?  You're begining to make me think that you know nothing else about Houston to brag about.  As a matter of fact, I bet I know more about Houston than you do.  You know, you really are not qualified to be the spokesperson on behalf of your fellow Houstonians.  Do yourself a favor. . . find something else to say other than Houston has more people than Dallas. . .because no one disputes that.  You obviously think that fact makes Houston better. . .so please articulate to me why it does in your mind.  Otherwise, do us all a favor and stop regurgitating the same thing over, and over, and over, and over again.

You might want to look at post "121" for guidance. :D

semipro isn't qualified to respond to any of these posts. i'm glad someone other than myself admits it.

I'm going by facts that houston has, but you 713 to 214 you looking at dallas has more population, where? In metro? Not for long, cause houston is moving quickly and rapidly in other areas. All dallas have is a name DALLAS, that's it. I've been to dallas dude, and dallas don't have crap compare to houston. Houston is more a city feel. What do dallas have that houston don't have? Please tell me.

And I don't get it at all, cause for one San Antonio out did y'all. They have more population dallas, and y'all trying to compare dallas and houston together? y'all need to try to regain 8th largest city back from San Antonio first before dealing with #1 houston. It's like a contender in boxing drop his rank, and trying to jump rank to fight a champion. The same thing the champion tells his contenders is the same thing I'm going to tell dallas and other cities in texas, "To be a champion, you have to climb the ladder just like I did. Wait for your turn."

All this crap about dallas and houston I'm tired of, cause when the smoke clears houston is still #1. I don't care how you look at it houston always be #1 in texas, #1 in the south, and #4 in the nation. So 713 to 214 and houcajun, I really don't care what y'all say about me, cause I'm the better man of not saying nothing negative about y'all.

Let us not forget the 1,000,000 + if not 1.5 million undocumented workers in Houston, and the fact that if they were counted in the population, Houston would pass Chicago for number 3 on the list of most populated cities in the U.S. Plus It would easily pass the DFW metro area for #1 metro area in Texas. Houston is not far behind and will eventually catch up. There is tremendous growth and development in the northern suburbs. Especially down FM 1488 all the way to Magnolia. Many new neighborhoods are going up there and even in little old Conroe. There are neighborhoods sprouting up and down loop 336. And lets not neglect the Grand parkway. When it is finished no matter how contraversal it is there will be plenty of new neighborhoods and businesses going up and down it.

A little quote that most people might be familiar with that ends this reply:

"Resistance is Futile"

Unfortunately rantanamo, when people don't have anything to say, they make things up!

well you had alot to say before, and you were not 100%, so don't be a HIPO (crite)... :)

"By the way, if you enjoy eating at restaurants, as opposed to just hanging around the bar, well, Dallas has 1 of 2 Il Mulino's (NYC has the other), 1 of 5 Oceanaires (Seattle, DC, Minneapolis and Indianapolis the others), and now one of 4 Nobu's (NYC, Miami, Las Vegas being the ones I know about). That makes a pretty big statement, especially with other peer cities like Houston and Atlanta."

Well you don't have a Fogo De Chao, and that makes an even bigger statement...

But, our Galleria might be better, Dallas does have more "1 in 5" stores (so to speak). Such as The Bramble Co... (NYC, Dallas, Chicago, LA, Atlanta).

Well you don't have a Fogo De Chao, and that makes an even bigger statement...

Too bad I have to be the one who breaks it to you, but. . . ahem. . . not only did Fogo De Chao open its 1st North American Restaurant in Dallas, the company is based in Dallas.

Check the website: http://www.fogodechao.com/flash_index.php

well you had alot to say before, and you were not 100%, so don't be a HIPO (crite)...

huh? :unsure::huh:

Trying to score points on where restaurant chains open first? What's next? Gasoline stations?

A friend of mine has this theory that Houston suffers from a massive inferiority complex, and after reading this I see the point. We must sound like the Jan Brady of American cities, except instead of crying "Marcia! Marcia! Marcia! Everyone loves Marcia, but what about me?" we cry "Dallas! Dallas! Dallas! Everyone loves Dallas, but what about us?" Look, Houston is a great city. But if we can only think of it or define ourselves in relation to Dallas, we'll never be able to really appreciate it, and, just like Jan, it probably comes off as a bit self-defensive and whiny.

downtown12.jpg

Houston

001.jpg

Jan Brady

I am new to HAIF, and I am from Plano, north of Dallas. Sooner or later I will live in Dallas, thank god. At any rate, after having read through this thread, I probably shouldn't visit HAIF very often. This discussion has become so very childish, and idiotic, that I wouldn't think that it would be worth anyones time. I have read through most of the threads under the Dallas heading and all of them seem to turn out this way. Houstonians bashing every possible thing about Dallas and the Metroplex, and Dallasites either firing back or trying to defend the city from the foolish claims. At any rate I understand a friendly rivalry but for goodness sake try and have some intelligent discussions every once in a while!

And it seems most Houstonians I've run into have no problem bashing their own city, except of course, when it comes to this board.  I think it's a good change of pace that these people here are bashing Dallas and not their own city!  :)

Well, its like everyone else... If there neighbors say there yard isn't green, they fight back and say it is, but if no one says its not green, then they complain about how ungreen there lawn is...

However, as I stated earlier, Dallas' just underwent a major expansion/renovation from top to bottom, and added a Grand Lux Cafe (Cheesecake Factory's upscale cousin) (only two others in the U.S. - L.A. & Chicago). 

Oh, and about this, isn't there a Grand Cafe Lux being built at the Houston Galleria, or is the Galleria they were building one at actually the Dallas Galleria I'm thinking of? Either way I really hope one ends up in Houston, I've been to the one in Vegas and that place is Gooooooood, with a capital "G!"

Archived