92.1 Becomes KROI News 92

stjnky

I've said for weeks that this all news FM will never happen. There are times when I am happy to find out I was wrong, and this is one of them. This all news operation has assembled a great staff of good radio people, and I really do wish them well. They've all been laid off in recent years by this or that corporate idiot bean counter, and now they're getting another chance to do what they do best.

Good Luck guys and gals of KROI News 92.

Personally, I'm happy to see Jorge Vargas on board with this. I don't know jack about sports, so I can't say whether he's a great sports reporter or not. But he's a really nice guy and a great broadcaster. For those who don't recognize his name, he was formerly at 39.

Attention gospel music listeners in Houston: we are set to lose the inspirational KROI Praise 92.1 next month. Ironically Radio One (Black-owned and operated conglomerate) did not sell the property but has decided to take on a news format.

From All Access:

RADIO ONE has announced that Christian Inspirational KROI (PRAISE 92.1)/HOUSTON will flip to News/Talk "NEWS 92 FM" on the week of NOVEMBER 14th. The 24-hour news and information station will be fortified by the world wide resources of ABC NEWS RADIO and ASSOCIATED PRESS PLATINUM; The Gospel format will move to sister Urban MAJIC 102's HD channel and will stream online.

More: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/98281/radio-one-houston-to-flip-praise-92-1-to-news

My thoughts: Just when I thought a variety of urban radio in Houston is dismal, the 24/7 gospel format has filled a void needed on the FM dial here in a major city that is considered the western end of the South, since most other major cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, and New Orleans have FM gospel radio. I hate to see it go since the other gospel offerings are limited to early Sunday mornings on Majic 102 and KTSU, and the three AM gospel stations don't cover the entire city too well (1360, 1140 and 1500).

great. another 24 hours fm news station. we lost ktru so we could have 88.7 and i'm not listening to that. multiple tv stations all give the same stories. now we have two radio stations to regurgitate what's already out there. not excited.

how is this profitable? do houstonians really listen to "news" news and will they tune out am talk radio? admittedly, i'm bored with news in general.

online stream only...what a joke...it's all about the dollars and once again we see the same names again pop up....Houston is like a huge recycle bin as we can't get fresh talent

If you're african-american, consider this a slap in the face as this is how much radio one thinks of you

online stream only...what a joke...

Not necessarily. It's not the 1990's and RealPlayer anymore. Streaming radio is becoming startlingly popular. There's a reason that CBS bought Last.fm and that it, Clear Channel, and the other big radio companies operate hundreds of streaming stations. Some cars even come with built-in streaming radio.

Nearly everyone has a data-enabled cell phone. The number of households with radios is shrinking. The future is streaming.

online stream only...what a joke...it's all about the dollars and once again we see the same names again pop up....Houston is like a huge recycle bin as we can't get fresh talent

If you're african-american, consider this a slap in the face as this is how much radio one thinks of you

If there were adequate listeners, and thus adequate advertising revenue, the station would not have gone changed programming. Its not about race....its about the fact that advertisers clearly decided that nobody listening to the station was buying the products advertised so they pulled the plug....the Station is most likely trying to make money, not lose it....They made a business decision that more people would listen to news than gospel, and thus more advertisers would pay to be advertise along side news...if it does not work out, you can expect something else to fill the void eventually.

Making it about race is just ignorant.

Implying that Radio One hates black people is just stupid. It's formed most of its business model off of serving black audiences around the country. It even owns BlackPlanet. A quick Google is all you need to avoid embarrassing statements.

never said hate..they made their money off of black music but they now kill the format for news? Remember Channel 24 or whatever it was that built a brand new studio off the Beltway fail? How many times do we need to hear the same story? It's on TV, internet, etc...

Alot of people aren't streaming online compared to driving in their cars..

Then we get a lineup of rehashed Houston newscasters...nothing fresh and innovative for younger folks or to pick up the african american demographic that was cut off from Praise

money, money, money...only time will tell

If the market is not large enough to make it economically feasible for a company to do something - its not disrespectful for them to stop doing it, even if that is how they got their start. Try buying a tape player now a days....Im sure many companies got their start selling tape players, yet they are not available anymore because nobody wants them....kinda like Gospel music on the radio.

Its not hard to understand....taking a completely financial decision and then warping it by playing the race card is wrong on so many levels. People/Corporations do not exist to please you - I'm sure you wont work for free - so why would you expect a radio station to do it?

thank the lord for satellite radio....

there's a gospel market like a tejano market, etc....albiet some is on the AM side it's heard on the radio...maybe this will push folks back to KCOH or so where we have independent programs, not corporate blandness

I've heard stories about the top folks at radio one....not surprised at this...guess there's not a place for GOD in the market of money

I've heard stories about the top folks at radio one....not surprised at this...guess there's not a place for GOD in the market of money

I've heard things about Kathy Hughes, too, but I think the problem was that 92.1 wasn't playing the gospel that appeals the most to black Christian southerners like quartets, mass choirs and traditional soloists in lieu of the contemporary, hip hop based sounds. Had they not neglected those listeners, perhaps they would have made enough advertising revenue to stay viable on their own signal instead of going to 102.1 HD2. It's just another lesson in not alienating your base.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening now for a few days. Hearing all those familar voices makes me feel at ease, like everthing is okay now. 92.1FM is my base radio station coming and going to work now. All of the changes to our radio market in the past few years has really been disturbing. It makes you loose trust, even with the advertisers.

Michael Berry sucks and his decisions have ruined radio in Houston. How many Tea Party pep talk stations does one city need? Thanks Radio One!

• 9 months later...

Archived