Texarkana

bigboyz2004

A good friend of mine just moved there and he says lately the city is growing by leaps and bounds. They're building a new Texas A&M campus, factories, 2 new freeways, countless homes/apartments and scores of new businesses. Has anyone here been there lately, what did you think of it and do you have pics and additional info. Thank you and I appreciate your posts.

• 1 month later...
Haven't been there. If you want a good idea of how fast or slow the Texarkana MSA is growing have a look here.

All I know is that there are several multimillion dollar projects going on such as the construction of a new Texas A&M campus, a couple of high end retail complexes and various office projects. In the downtown area they're making an effort to revitalize the run down buildings frequented by drug dealers, prostitutes and the homeless.Legacy Tower will be a mixed use office and retail development due to be completed by 2008. Also, an auditorium and convention center/hotel will be constructed downtown as well.

• 7 months later...
All I know is that there are several multimillion dollar projects going on such as the construction of a new Texas A&M campus, a couple of high end retail complexes and various office projects. In the downtown area they're making an effort to revitalize the run down buildings frequented by drug dealers, prostitutes and the homeless.Legacy Tower will be a mixed use office and retail development due to be completed by 2008. Also, an auditorium and convention center/hotel will be constructed downtown as well.

Also a 1,000 home project is taking shape on the western side of the city. An 11 story apartment building has just started construction. A massive civic and sports complex is under consruction on the Arkansas side of town. It will have baseball and soccer fields, areas for football and basketball and tennis courts. Also part of the complex will be an arena that will seat up to 6,000 and will be used for concerts, hockey games and more. Taking shape near this facility will be a huge development that will feature hotels, restaurants, retail, apartments and more. Southern Refrigerated Trucking has broken ground on 40 acres for it's new facility that will create more than 1,550 new jobs. Among the many retailers, restaurants and hotels coming to this city include: Ruby Tuesdays, Coldstone Creamery, Talbots Department Store, Travel Inn Plaza Hotels, Goodies, Hooters, Olive Garden, TGIFriday, Ross Dress for Less, Burlington Coat Factory, Gander Mountain, UPS store and 2 new Bank of the Ozarks. The current construction of I-49 from Texarkana down to Shreveport is progressing nicely and is nearly complete to the Louisiana border. The Texarkana Regional Airport is under going a major reconstruction of the terminal and runways with the addition of another airline,Continental , setting up shop. The forecast for Texarkana's boom is that there is no end in sight.

Guest danax
Just so no one is confused, I now live in the Texarkana area.

When I think of Texarkana I think of the old Federal Prison there (ok, and the Smokey and the Bandit theme song). I hear that old place used to house some 30s gangsters and moonshiners. Glad to see the town is moving on up. I was there once in the fall, nice leaf colors on the hills. Kinda grinned when I heard a radio station refer to the area as "The Ark-La-Tex".

We used to have a slogan calling us "Twice As Nice" because we're twin cities but now we're known as Western Charm with a Helping of Southern Hospitality. It sounds really corny and silly to me. Sometimes radio dj's call us the Ark-La-Homa-Tex, lol.

I went there about a month ago and posted some photos. These photos are mostly of the freeways in the area, but it will give you some idea.

http://houstonfreeways.com/modern/2005-05-16_i49.aspx

Also, the Dallas Morning News did a major feature on Texarkana June 5. You may be able to find it online. The print edition was great and I saved it, but obviously that won't help you.

Overall I had a favorable impression of the area. State line road in the urbanized area was basically a commercial strip. It is middle tier, not upscale but not decaying. The court house/post office on the state line was interesting. I didn't venture far from the freeways, but there is a nice mix of woods, pasture, and streams in the area.

• 1 month later...
I always had this question.  Is Texarkana two separate cities with one in each state? Do they have some interlocal agreements to share across the state line?

To answer your first question, yes. I know that if you're involved in a high speed chase on the Texas side and you go to the Arkansas side, the Texas police officer can arrest you and vice versa.

Also, a spur of I-69 will be constructed between Marshall, TX and Texarkana. Plus a northern loop will be built around the northern part of town and will be the meeting place of the future I-69 spur, which will run along the extreme western edge of the city, and I-49 North. We've always been a major pit stop between Dallas and Little Rock but, now we're becoming known as a business, transportation and shopping hub for this part of the state. Max Concrete, thanks for the pics and I'm glad you had a good impression of our city. You should come back and really explore.

My Grandmother lived about 30 miles from Texarkana. When I was a kid we would always go there and eat at Bryce's Cafeteria downtown. At that time the downtown was thriving, there were a lot of stores & I think a Dillards, but I am not sure. The last time I was there, though, everything was shuttered downtown. Bryces and the stores had moved towards the freeway.

It was several years ago that I was there last, but it didn't seem that thriving at the time. I am glad to hear it is doing so well now. Has the surge been recent? Maybe it was just the Arkansas side where my Grandparents were from, but once you got a few miles outside of Texarkana, it was like the land that time forgot. Very depressed economically.

Downtown is still struggling but, new life is being breathed downtown. An old warehouse is being converted into loft apartments and a few new restaurants and a grocery store has recently opened. Our growth really started to take off in 2000 and most likely won't let up for awhile. The bad thing is that the majority of our growth is congregating around our freeways instead of staying in the central city but, hopefully that will change with all the infrastructure improvements downtown.

• 1 month later...
To answer your first question, yes. I know that if you're involved in a high speed chase on the Texas side and you go to the Arkansas side, the Texas police officer can arrest you and vice versa.

GOOD QUESTION

:rolleyes: Good Guess ive been through Texarkana on I-30 Seeing Texas side and Arkansas. Maybe sometimes TX state troopers will actually cross it anyways even if the suspect tries to defend on them to go into Arkansas. But if they actually do that suspect will believe what they would see and be shocked but for the federal law its possibly they can TOO STOP YOU. :lol:

But when i crossed it I didn't see a Arkansas state trooper sitting and waiting for someone to cross a line from a high speed chase or nothing like it. ;)

The Texas side (naturally) is pretty nice. The Arkansas side really is poor.

I graduated from Arkansas State University in 1990. I went through Texarkana to and from there. I remember the water tower on Interstate 30 on the Texas side said: Texarkana is twice as nice.

Yes, the Arkansas side is poor, like the rest of the state. Unlike Texas, Arkansas has a state income tax. The state legislature had no choice but to exempt Texarkana, Arkansas from taxes because the city would have become a ghost town due to new businesses locating to the Texas side of the city because of lower taxes.

But there was a flaw. The legislature exempted only the city of Texarkana, Arkansas. For the people who lived outside of the city limits there in Miller County, they had to pay taxes. There were cases of people who worked at the same company in the city. The employees who lived in the city limits took home between $30 and $60 more on their weekly paychecks than their co-workers who lived in the same county but outside of the Texarkana city limits.

• 3 weeks later...

Even more development is slated for the Texarkana area. On the Arkansas side 13 acres has been cleared and will be used for restaurants and offices, B. Jaxx, Beehive Shoe Outlet, Alfredo's, CITA nail salon, CATO, 31,000 square-foot urology building, Ironwood Grill, Dot's Rentals, 1,000 new jobs at Red River Army Depot and several apartment and housing developments.

• 4 weeks later...
Legacy Tower will be a mixed use office and retail development due to be completed by 2008

Anyone have any information available online to back up this claim? I work on projects in the Ark-La-Tex region all the time and have never heard of this project. Thanks.

Also a 1,000 home project is taking shape on the western side of the city. An 11 story apartment building has just started construction. A massive civic and sports complex is under consruction on the Arkansas side of town. It will have baseball and soccer fields, areas for football and basketball and tennis courts. Also part of the complex will be an arena that will seat up to 6,000 and will be used for concerts, hockey games and more. Taking shape near this facility will be a huge development that will feature hotels, restaurants, retail, apartments and more. Southern Refrigerated Trucking has broken ground on 40 acres for it's new facility that will create more than 1,550 new jobs. Among the many retailers, restaurants and hotels coming to this city include: Ruby Tuesdays, Coldstone Creamery, Talbots Department Store, Travel Inn Plaza Hotels, Goodies, Hooters, Olive Garden, TGIFriday, Ross Dress for Less, Burlington Coat Factory, Gander Mountain, UPS store and 2 new Bank of the Ozarks. The current construction of I-49 from Texarkana down to Shreveport is progressing nicely and is nearly complete to the Louisiana border. The Texarkana Regional Airport is under going a major reconstruction of the terminal and runways with the addition of another airline,Continental , setting up shop. The forecast for Texarkana's boom is that there is no end in sight.

I have heard of many of these projects, but the "1,000 home project," the Hooters, and the TGI Friday's are projects I had never heard of. Can anyone validate these claims online? Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice pics! There is a new project that is in the development phase. It's to be called Waterman Creek. When finished there will be residential, shopping, offices and more. It will be located on the Texas side near the Nash exit. On the Arkansas side a large shopping complex will be built north of I-30 near the Jefferson Avenue exit.

Other information on Texarkana growth:

Dallas company to manage property at Texarkana Pavilion - 3/10/2006

(Texarkana: Retail)

A Dallas firm has signed on to market the Merchants Holding Co.-owned Texarkana Pavilion. Holliday Fenoglio Fowler, LP, will market the 249,606-square-foot shopping center for an undetermined price, according to information provided by HFF. The retail space is 82 percent leased with such tenants as Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Shoe Carnival, Rue 21, Goody's, Old Navy and Cold Stone Creamery.

[Texarkana Gazette]

http://www.amreal.com/Properties/COMMERCIA...er%20032504.pdf

T.J. Maxx coming to town - 3/3/2006

(Texarkana: Retail)

T.J. Maxx and Lane Bryant are to join Texarkana Pavilion this summer, said Matt Lukas, Merchants Holding Co. vice president. The retailers will sit near Goody's. Laura McDowell, spokesman, said T.J. Maxx has not set the opening date for the 26,000-square-foot store, the average size for the discount clothing and home decor retailer.

[Texarkana Gazette]

Sportsplex construction could have May start - 2/22/2006

(Texarkana: Public Facilities)

Work on Minton's Sportsplex in Texarkana, Ark., is progressing and leaders hope to be finished and open next year. The project was first announced last June. Mike Minton, the owner of Minton's Sportsplex, said they hope to begin construction this May and be finished by June 2007. The Minton's Sportsplex expansion project is touted to provide a new, larger center to meet a need for physical education and sports uses and become a permanent home for the Texarkana Bandits, youth hockey and figure skating. The multipurpose civic, health, fitness and sports complex is pushing toward a 150,000-square-foot facility with a 2-acre green area and ball fields and 14 acres of parking.

[Texarkana Gazette]

Downtown: New Year, New Fortune? - 1/1/2006

(Texarkana: Economy)

Downtown saw some stimulus with new dreams and new direction this year: A new movie theater and bistro with Cinema 218, an upscale restaurant in George's on Broad Street, and plans for converting a few buildings into art and living space. There are also hopes that Buhrman-Pharr loft apartments will be under construction soon, occupying the building that was left vacant by the closing of the hardware and gift store that used to be there. The overriding development for downtown, though, was Texarkana's status as a Main Street city, partnering the Texas and Arkansas state programs for a pilot project with Texarkana. Main Street Texarkana began to share some of the available resources, which include design expertise and some limited funding to aid downtown development.

[Texarkana Gazette]

Archived