The Simple Things

Reading through today's Bisnow newsletter, I noticed something simple that coule improve the architectual landscape in Houston. I thought it'd be fun for others to come think of other simple things that could be done to also help Houston's architectual look. Pictures would be helpful, too.

First, what about improving our most common building, the strip center...and putting shingles on them?

image003_006.jpg

http://www.bisnow.com/national_real_estate_news_story.php?p=14729

instead of a flat front...

center-at-kirby-w.jpg

http://swamplot.com/the-finest-strip-center-recital-hall-in-houston/2009-07-13/

Your sloped roof is just part of the facade stretching back 20' or so. I think many would argue the specific aesthetic change you seek runs contrary to good architecture. Sloped shingles says I'm a residence or a church. Sloped shingles on a Randalls flagship says, I'm trying to be something I'm not. Flat roof on a strip center says, I'm being honest in what I am since I do in fact have a flat roof throughout.

I like variety, and certainly don't mind or really care that much about strip centers with sloped shingled roofs.. but I certainly wouldn't want to retrofit every flat roofed strip center out there.

Personally, I'd take that double decker strip center in 59 (shown) over a Vintage Park any day of the week.

I suppose first we would have to agree that the building in photo number one looks better than the building in photo number two.

I do not.

What do you like better about photo number 2? What don't you like about photo number 1?

Your sloped roof is just part of the facade stretching back 20' or so. I think many would argue the specific aesthetic change you seek runs contrary to good architecture. Sloped shingles says I'm a residence or a church. Sloped shingles on a Randalls flagship says, I'm trying to be something I'm not. Flat roof on a strip center says, I'm being honest in what I am since I do in fact have a flat roof throughout.

I like variety, and certainly don't mind or really care that much about strip centers with sloped shingled roofs.. but I certainly wouldn't want to retrofit every flat roofed strip center out there.

Personally, I'd take that double decker strip center in 59 (shown) over a Vintage Park any day of the week.

Ok, so maybe for my example I chose the worst strip center. We all know most of them are bland and boring.

I really do not think sloped shingles are making it pretend it's something it isn't. What architect proclaimed that only houses and churches shall be the only ones to adorn sloped roofs with shingles? It's simply that it's more common in those buildings. The reason a lot of churches and houses don't have flat roofs is because they don't require HVAC units and other mechanical things on their roofs; at least that's my guess.

I think what a sloped shingled roof on a Randalls says is, "I care more about the way I look and therefore I will not have a simple flat roof that you cannot see, I choose to spend a little extra money to make myself look nicer; I will not be an ordinary commercial building."

I'm not sure how a vintage park fits into the argument. I'm arguing for flat roof vs sloped roof, not single story to two story.

...Other ideas are welcome as well to move the topic idea forward.

I think everything should be made with 6x3x3 stone blocks to look like medieval castles. There should also be drawbridges and those narrow window things for archers to shoot at anyone driving a Lexus SUV. Fake Starbucks should be created to lure tools into involuntary scientific experiments.

Improving the aesthetics of shopping centers is the ultimate example of lipstick on a pig. The pig is the parking lot, and you can't hide it. The only thing that makes strip centers worth not destroying is if they have a Quizno's, and Quizno's has recently sent me coupons in the mail so I can not be angry at expensive sandwiches.

Improving the aesthetics of shopping centers is the ultimate example of lipstick on a pig. The pig is the parking lot, and you can't hide it.

I kind of agree, but I think the best options are to use parking garages and street-side parking as much as possible, and landscape like crazy to break up the ugliness when a large surface lot is required.

Regardless of color, the issue with stucco and EIFS exteriors is that they typically present a monochromatic flat surface with little or no articulation. It seems that people usually prefer brick/stone or clapboard/shingle exterior cladding because these materials are better at conveying the "human element" of their construction.

The smaller size of bricks and shingles, as well as their variation in color and texture, tend to break down the scale of an exterior surface of a building to a module that fits within a typical human hand. Therefore, the use of such materials can give a "human element" to a building, and most people will subliminally identify with this attribute.

Unfortunately, the monochromatic flat surface of stucco & EIFS lacks this "human element". Therefore, most people find the crisp exterior surfaces of buildings clad in stucco & EIFS to be subliminally anti-human, so they fall into the "ugly building" category.

As a follow up, adding a pitched roof and shingles to a strip shopping center will not automatically improve its aesthetic.

Many beautiful (IMO) buildings that are considered architecturally significant were designed with flat roofs. Just look at any of the early Modernist works...

The reason most people dislike strip shopping centers is that they are designed around the automobile, rather than the person. People subliminally find the design of strip shopping centers to be alienating, but people also like to drive cars, so they put up with the alienating design for the sake of convenience.

Unfortunately, the monochromatic flat surface of stucco & EIFS lacks this "human element". Therefore, most people find the crisp exterior surfaces of buildings clad in stucco & EIFS to be subliminally anti-human, so they fall into the "ugly building" category.

Lots of us are anti-human. What's wrong with being anti-human? What's wrong with structures that resemble our sentimentality?

Make shopping centers more human by revealing more humans. Remove as much of the structure and cladding as possible. Way more glass and more landscaping, taking the edge off the parking lot. Not sure how you would go about designing modern strip centers to look like a 1962 car dealership in Palm Springs, but there's got to be a way to take that aesthetic and do it for 3 floors. Right?

Make shopping centers more human by revealing more humans. Remove as much of the structure and cladding as possible. Way more glass and more landscaping, taking the edge off the parking lot. Not sure how you would go about designing modern strip centers to look like a 1962 car dealership in Palm Springs, but there's got to be a way to take that aesthetic and do it for 3 floors. Right?

...finally, an opinion that actually moves the conversation forward, thanks Crunch.

I like having landscaping inside the parking lots, not just around them. I think that helps a lot when they do that.

Don't know what a '62 car dealership in Palm Spring looked like. Will have to look that one up.

...finally, an opinion that actually moves the conversation forward, thanks Crunch.

I like having landscaping inside the parking lots, not just around them. I think that helps a lot when they do that.

Don't know what a '62 car dealership in Palm Spring looked like. Will have to look that one up.

I've noticed that in Austin developers seem to frequently leave old oaks standing and/or incorporate new trees in the parking lots. Regardless, that makes for a more pleasant shopping experience.

Many retailer tenants would probably also prefer designs that use more glass. Higher visibility means more opportunity to see the products and advertising inside the stores.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

remove all billboards and plant as much natural vegetitation as possible along the freeways... to think that one of the first impressions visitors to our fair city have is I-45 is a travesty. the stretch of 45 between the north belt and the north loop is essentially a wasteland, aestheically speaking.

remove all billboards and plant as much natural vegetitation as possible along the freeways... to think that one of the first impressions visitors to our fair city have is I-45 is a travesty. the stretch of 45 between the north belt and the north loop is essentially a wasteland, aestheically speaking.

I'm curious what the economic impact is for having the billboards we do have? If they were removed, how much would that hurt the local economy?

Another thing I think would really help make retail and commercial establishments look better is to hide the stinkin backflow preventers. Some are hidden but many are not. I think my commercial plumber said they are required to be out front close to the street. Well, not all of them are out there, but many are very close to the street and are really an eyesore.

CrossConnection+6.jpg

Put parking lots in the back and put the building right up to the street with a wide side walk. That alone would solve lots of eye sores.

That leaves you with two options - either require all the customers that arrive by car to walk around the building to access the store from the new wide sidewalk or require the stores to have two entrances, front and back.

Where would a retailer's BoH, Back of House / storage, go? Where would delivery trucks and garbage trucks come? You want dumpsters and loading docks in the parking lot that the majority of their customers would use ?

By suggesting a back entrance, you are suggesting a store with no back.

This works in some places for some retailers, and there are places in Houston that do just this, but its certainly not a fit-all solution in a car-centric city. Think grocery stores wanna have 10 checkouts in front and in back? Think retailers want to double their public access points and needed security ?

What you're gaining in aesthetics from the street, you'd be losing in practicability for most retailers and leasing flexibility for developers.

• 5 weeks later...

I think Houston would look nicer if we had less st. augustine and more bermuda type grasses.

Both are well suited to our climate, but from hitting up the google, It seems the fact that Bermuda grass is considered an invasive weed might be the reason it is used more for controlled areas like turf athletic fields, and less in front yards where it easily invades flowering beds and other areas it shouldn't - driveway cracks, between pavers, etc.

Also.. Bermuda doesn't grow in shade very well.

http://www.chron.com...ts/5900466.html

http://www.gardengui...muda-grass.html

http://www.houstonla...h.com/grass.htm

Zoysia seems to be the 3rd choice for Houston.. don't know much about it but it appears to have the looks of Bermuda without the invasive nature.

All that being said.. I believe St. Augustine is the cheapest and most readily available, so you're probably not going to convince most Houstonians to change

I will agree with you in personal preference for the Bermuda though... barefoot, there's no comparison.

Archived