King Biscuit At 1606 White Oak Dr.

tanith27

• The title was changed to King Biscuit Closed
  • The title was changed to King Biscuit At 1606 White Oak Dr.
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

Being converted in to a barber shop.

6IQATmK.png

As noted above, the former King Biscuit site at 1606 White Oak Dr is being converted into a barber shop. It appears the barber shop is from the owners of Houston's East End Barber.

East End Barber is located at 1318 Telephone Rd, Suite 1 in Eastwood Center.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

Odd that this location is still being referred to as "King Biscuit."  It wasn't iconic or anything like "Fitzgerald's."  😀

I'm not sure if you're referring to the title of the topic or references made in posts.

As for my part, I stated the forthcoming barber shop is planned for King Biscuit's former site as a point of reference. I find including details such as that are helpful. Everyone isn't a native Houstonian. And even if they are, not every Houstonian knows what past buildings or businesses were. Also keywords like names of businesses (current or past), neighborhoods, and street addresses are likely to land topics or posts in web searches.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:06 PM, steve1363 said:

Odd that this location is still being referred to as "King Biscuit."  It wasn't iconic or anything like "Fitzgerald's."  😀

Depends on your point of reference, I suppose. While it was certainly nowhere near as well-known or iconic as Fitz's, I'd bet there are plenty of longtime Heights residents who still think of King Biscuit whenever they pass by that building. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Depends on your point of reference, I suppose. While it was certainly nowhere near as well-known or iconic as Fitz's, I'd bet there are plenty of longtime Heights residents who still think of King Biscuit whenever they pass by that building. 

I'll second that. . .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I still think of the SPCA on Studemont!  I guess old images die hard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I still think of the SPCA on Studemont!  I guess old images die hard.

Ha! I do as well. When I was in college my then-girlfriend worked there for a few months, and I'd occasionally have to drop her off or pick her up, so I was probably going there more frequently than most people. 

But I think of the old rice silos at Studemont and Allen Parkway more often.

spacer.png

Photo credit: Larry Harris on Flickr - more here.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:41 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

As noted above, the former King Biscuit site at 1606 White Oak Dr is being converted into a barber shop. It appears the barber shop is from the owners of Houston's East End Barber.

East End Barber is located at 1318 Telephone Rd, Suite 1 in Eastwood Center.

I hope this pans out and wish them much success. This would be a nice addition to the neighborhood and hopefully bring some new life into a historic structure that could use some exterior TLC. The owners (current?) had done some extensive interior remodeling a few years back after Harvey including what appeared to be a large bar - though they also have mirrored glass on the windows so I could only get a glimpse while driving by if the door was open. 

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

I will see your SPCA and King Biscuit and raise you a Beer Island at the corner of Studewood and White Oak.  

I almost certainly have met some of y'all IRL. 

When Lonnie realized that Beer Island had just about the only working power and internet for blocks around after Ike (was it that long ago?) he ran extra plugs out to the deck and updated his wifi.  I still miss that place (and the Biscuit, where I likely paid the light bill), OTOH my liver is probably in better shape.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

I will see your SPCA and King Biscuit and raise you a Beer Island at the corner of Studewood and White Oak.  

Ha!  I don’t specifically remember Beer Island, but wasn’t there a “Jack’s Bar” somewhere back there?  I remember my neighbor used to frequent that place!