Metro wants your ideas for long-term plans

METRO VISION INCLUDES UNIQUE PUBLIC PERSPECTIVE

The New METRO has an eye on the future and wants to hear from the public to update long-range plans. The METRO Vision plan will be developed using community input from a series of public workshops and coordination with agencies to continue building a comprehensive regional transit plan.

METRO’s goal for the workshops is to gain a better understanding of area public transit needs, and encourage input from diverse communities to help meet those needs. Every effort is being made to attain a total transit picture so that METRO can, when necessary, partner with other agencies to create the best possible results for the public. This process keeps METRO in line with our priorities of delivering first class transit services, building greater transit infrastructure and becoming a trusted community partner.

This ongoing, grass-roots process is the basis for a blueprint that includes long and short range transit projects to meet regional mobility needs for the next 25 years. METRO will consider a wide range of transit options like improved bus service, bus rapid transit, streetcars, light rail, and commuter rail as well as new and innovative programs connecting the entire region.

During May and June, two dozen public workshops will provide the public with a great opportunity to impact METRO’s Vision for the future. The workshops are scheduled in communities throughout the METRO service area (see attached lists for workshop locations and dates) for maximum convenience and to encourage attendance. All workshops will take place from 6 to 8pm. Featured speakers will include METRO President & CEO, George Greanias, METRO Board Members, and Senior VP Service Design & Development, Kimberly Slaughter.

post-1-0-87616600-1304023559_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-94478600-1304023568_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Why is train service suspended and it's not being reported? Word has it that some 'woman' ran into it around Alabama. I'm told by other platform waitors that the train reversed (backed up) from Ensemble/HCC to Wheeler. The southbound stopped in between the two stations.

Jerome, where is our spokesperson when we need him?

They were filming some sort of drag-queen looking figure and a cowboy at the Preston station yesterday. I can't wait for those new ads.:blink:

Regarding the naming suggestions of the stations for the new lines; one must be named smashup junction!

METRO VISION INCLUDES UNIQUE PUBLIC PERSPECTIVE

The New METRO has an eye on the future and wants to hear from the public to update long-range plans. The METRO Vision plan will be developed using community input from a series of public workshops and coordination with agencies to continue building a comprehensive regional transit plan.

METRO’s goal for the workshops is to gain a better understanding of area public transit needs, and encourage input from diverse communities to help meet those needs. Every effort is being made to attain a total transit picture so that METRO can, when necessary, partner with other agencies to create the best possible results for the public. This process keeps METRO in line with our priorities of delivering first class transit services, building greater transit infrastructure and becoming a trusted community partner.

This ongoing, grass-roots process is the basis for a blueprint that includes long and short range transit projects to meet regional mobility needs for the next 25 years. METRO will consider a wide range of transit options like improved bus service, bus rapid transit, streetcars, light rail, and commuter rail as well as new and innovative programs connecting the entire region.

During May and June, two dozen public workshops will provide the public with a great opportunity to impact METRO’s Vision for the future.

When are the grass-roots workshops that lay the basis for a blueprint of METRO's 25-year budget? Surely they will want to figure that out first, and obviously the general public is most qualified to tell them what they should do. :rolleyes:

When are the grass-roots workshops that lay the basis for a blueprint of METRO's 25-year budget? Surely they will want to figure that out first, and obviously the general public is most qualified to tell them what they should do. :rolleyes:

Are there any government (or even private) agencies that do 25-year budgets? The longest I ever recall seeing was two-years, and these days rarely more than one.

• 2 months later...

Not worth a new thread, but I have an observation/gripe.

I realize most bus lines run like a wheel's spokes, In to Out, but Metro seems to do better job with the Crosstown routes in some part of the city, while in other parts, they don't exist.

Between 610 and 8, there are only 2 N-S crosstowns and they are at either end, PostOak and Gessner.

There is nothing on Bingle, ChimneyRock, or Fondern/PineyPt/Bunker Hill.

My guess is the Villages had their say in making it this way...

A Bingle/Voss crosstown connecting the Pinemont P&R to the Hilcroft P&R and intersecting main bus lines on Richmond, Westheimer, Longpoint and Memorial, all of which run DT, would be very useful.

Edited by Highway6

The same Metro that had a representative tell me "You don't understand enough about transportation and urban planning for me to answer that question". I was majorly pissed to have a civil servant tell me I'm stupid.

The same Metro that had a representative tell me "You don't understand enough about transportation and urban planning for me to answer that question". I was majorly pissed to have a civil servant tell me I'm stupid.

I would say: "No, sir/ma'am, it is your job to tell me all about the transportation/urban planning stuff and THEN answer my question. It is your job to educate your constituents. A 'no' is a wrong answer, sir/madam, and I am going to ask you to answer my question."

Do you remember that representative's name?

the 163 bus kind of serves as a Fondren crosstown bus,. with the bonus of going downtown via the freeway.

There's really not a good way to get a regular sized bus through the villages on Blalock and Echo without some serious street widening and realigning- and that's not going to happen.

I would say: "No, sir/ma'am, it is your job to tell me all about the transportation/urban planning stuff and THEN answer my question. It is your job to educate your constituents. A 'no' is a wrong answer, sir/madam, and I am going to ask you to answer my question."

Do you remember that representative's name?

I don't recall who it was. Some random staffer assigned to a Midtown meeting on light rail.

Wow. Just... Wow.

A couple of years ago, I made a comment something along the lines of that METRO needed to be dissolved and replaced with a different agency. This was before Grenias took over. I caught a lot of flak over that remark. But the underlying rationale was two-fold. First, METRO needs to be more directly accountable to its constituents in all of its territories and member cities, not just to the Mayor of Houston. And secondly, because regime change can effect positive change but cannot easily eliminate a culture of dysfunction that has taken root throughout the organization.

I think that your experience validates my opinion.

• Like 1

And secondly, because regime change can effect positive change but cannot easily eliminate a culture of dysfunction that has taken root throughout the organization.

I think that your experience validates my opinion.

I opening this thread up with the intention of giving my idea for Metro to fire everybody and start fresh.

I have very little experience working directly with Metro, but the sentiments expressed here are pretty pervasive around the engineering world. Metro tends to work with their blinders on sometimes. They don't communicate or cooperate very well.

I think the mayor made a good choice in putting Greneias at the top, but it may be too little, too late. They need fresh blood there from top to bottom.

the "culture of dysfunction" took root almost from the beginning.

after voters approved its creation in the late 70s METRO collected taxes for a couple of yrs before spending a dime on transit. if I remember correctly the war chest grew to around $250-300 million. in current $ that would be about 3/4 billion $.

the Tx depression of the 80s hit METRO revenue hard, but then the agency didn't build much either, then Lanier took some of the $ in the 90s to put cops on the street and other municipal needs.

still, with the big $ head start in the 70s you would think METRO would have ended up somewhere other than where it is 30+ yrs later - ridership declining when measured against the % of population growth, writing off a couple hundred million $ in wasted effort and sketchy accounting, uber costly plans and nowhere near enough projected revenue to implement them.

after voters approved its creation in the late 70s METRO collected taxes for a couple of yrs before spending a dime on transit. if I remember correctly the war chest grew to around $250-300 million. in current $ that would be about 3/4 billion $.

Yeah.. but not all of it was METRO's fault. In the 80s, they had plans for a rail system that really would have improved our transit here, and they had the money to build it, too. Houston voters had a say in it though, and we all know how that goes. Voters never passed anything METRO wanted to build, which ended up causing METRO to have hundreds of millions in surplus each year. And THAT caused the City of Houston to take away part of their revenue, which causes METRO to barely be able to pay for itself, much less fund transit projects.

*sigh*

Its just one big cluster****.

As for plans for the future, one key area would be Westheimer. I always thought a rail line down (preferably under) Westheimer would be well-utilized. Those buses are completely full, even late at night. Even heavy rail would be useful down that corridor, all the way from around Beltway 8 to downtown. It's surprising to me that rail hasn't been considered for that corridor already.

Also, METRO needs to try to get their whole sales tax back, which would solve a lot of financial problems. The city needs a completely separate tax for roads, as they need more funding as well.

As for plans for the future, one key area would be Westheimer. I always thought a rail line down (preferably under) Westheimer would be well-utilized. Those buses are completely full, even late at night. Even heavy rail would be useful down that corridor, all the way from around Beltway 8 to downtown. It's surprising to me that rail hasn't been considered for that corridor already.

if not rail, the entire length of Westheimer would be perfect for real BRT, with a dedicted center lane, pre-pay station platforms, the whole bit. Run it all the way from the Red Line at Main and Elgin to Highway 6.

if not rail, the entire length of Westheimer would be perfect for real BRT, with a dedicted center lane, pre-pay station platforms, the whole bit. Run it all the way from the Red Line at Main and Elgin to Highway 6.

I would think that it would need to jog over to W. Alabama at some point. Lower Westheimer can't handle it. Also, The HCC/Ensemble station is right at Alabama & Main.

I would think that it would need to jog over to W. Alabama at some point. Lower Westheimer can't handle it. Also, The HCC/Ensemble station is right at Alabama & Main.

yea, good point. Of course there's an argument for eliminating all but mass transit traffic from lower westheimer completely. I'm sure that would go over lead a lead balloon around here!

• 2 weeks later...

Metro's transfer rules are really frustrating me. My fiance used to work in the Medical Center, and we live off Montrose and West Gray. The 34 was a good option, as its a straight shot, but it doesn't run very often and not at all on the weekends which she worked. We found the train to be the most reliable and fastest, so she would drive to midtown on the weekends (when she had a car, we share one) and park and take the train rather than paying $12 for parking. The best option (weekday and weekend) would be if she could take the 3 downtown then take the train. This would be faster than the 34 given her timings. Problem is, coming home the train is Northbound, and the 3 is 'Southbound' so you can't transfer and have to pay double.

Now she works on Webster near LaBranch. There is no good option, the best is the 3 'north' to downtown, then the 60 south. Again she would have to pay double for each trip. Metro tells her to take the 3 and a commuter buz (zone 1 fare to go 6 blocks) or walk - which isn't bad except its so hot right now she's ending up drenched in sweat when she gets in (this is her first week). She will start biking to work when it cools off a bit.

I don't see how they don't allow a transfer when it is the most straight forward and sometimes only route, to go from a northbound route (that run's east-west) to a southbound route. I know they have to draw the line somewhere but there are so many cases where it is no logical they way they do it.

Another thing, some of the routes she has tried, the driver has stopped before what it shows on their schedule and just says "i'm going out of service" and kicks her off the bus adding to the blocks she has to walk. not sure what's going on there. I am going to call about that one, its happened twice this week.

end rant.

The Q card should not charge again for any of the transfers you describe. Only doubling back on the same route will cause it to charge again.

As for drivers failing to adhere to the schedule, have her get the bus number and/or block number at the bottom of the windshield and file an online complaint with the appropriate details (route, time, direction).

The Q card should not charge again for any of the transfers you describe. Only doubling back on the same route will cause it to charge again.

As for drivers failing to adhere to the schedule, have her get the bus number and/or block number at the bottom of the windshield and file an online complaint with the appropriate details (route, time, direction).

She tried it twice, northbound train to southbound bus, as well as bus to bus, and she was charged double on her q card. I'll have her try again and confirm...

I made one complaint but didn't have all the info (bus number missing). Will make sure to get that next time.

also on the metro route builder, it doesn't even throw the option up there for a north bound to south bound transfer, even though in some cases its the best/fastest way to get somewhere. when i called earlier this year they said that it would charge double and you can only transfer in the same direction of travel.

Edited by skwatra