Houston denied final retired space shuttle

Jeebus

Perceptive, thy name is citykid. Current day Houston is the perennial underachiever.

Do my eyes deceive me? How can you be serious? Houston didn't get to be a big city by leveraging its climate or natural beauty or hip culture, and never really had a shot at that to begin with. Houston got to be a big city because we went to work, we made money, we didn't allow for excessive taxation, and we haven't historically been tolerant of corruptive influences (i.e. organized crime, labor unions, zoning advocates, or nepotistic tendencies). We're big and the fastest growing because anybody with a work ethic (and most of the folks without) can earn a decent living for themselves. It's a nice place to live, that's all. It's not spectacular, but it is a spectacular bargain.

Demography is revealed preference.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could have sworn that I saw on the news a few months ago that Houston would be getting an exact replica/mockup of a shuttle. Now I see that the old mockup that JSC already had is going to Seattle. I don't get it! Is Houston (JSC) getting a muckup space shuttle or not?

This is a different mockup. The mockup that will be at Space Center Houston is one that is coming from Kennedy Space Center.

http://www.39online.com/newsfix/kiah-newsfix-uss-consolation-story,0,1528582.story

Based on what I've seen over the past year or so, it seems that Houston was not denied a space shuttle - we simply didn't have the bid to garner one. Our proposal was poorly done, and we simply didn't make the case. I say 'we' even though I know it was a handful (or two) of people who pulled it together. But, the point is that, when the decision-makers were faced with the possibility of Houston warehousing a shuttle behind some glass 30 miles from the city center and the bids put forth by other cities, the choice is obvious.

This is the fundamental problem Houston has. We claim to be this can-do attitude city - and, in the past, that has proven to be true - but lately I feel we're really fallen. I mean - come on! - we call ourselves 'Space City' (official nickname) but we can't develop the most spectacular proposal in the world to get a freakin' shuttle - and we store our Saturn V in what amounts to an aluminum closet? Either change the city's moniker, or start doing things better than the rest of the world.

Based on what I've seen over the past year or so, it seems that Houston was not denied a space shuttle - we simply didn't have the bid to garner one. Our proposal was poorly done, and we simply didn't make the case. I say 'we' even though I know it was a handful (or two) of people who pulled it together. But, the point is that, when the decision-makers were faced with the possibility of Houston warehousing a shuttle behind some glass 30 miles from the city center and the bids put forth by other cities, the choice is obvious.

This is the fundamental problem Houston has. We claim to be this can-do attitude city - and, in the past, that has proven to be true - but lately I feel we're really fallen. I mean - come on! - we call ourselves 'Space City' (official nickname) but we can't develop the most spectacular proposal in the world to get a freakin' shuttle - and we store our Saturn V in what amounts to an aluminum closet? Either change the city's moniker, or start doing things better than the rest of the world.

You know... I was thinking... we should move the rockets from way out in the middle of nowwhere to Midtown... in that superblock... spruce it up a little - ok a LOT - and present them tastefully. Tourits will then come in droves.

You know... I was thinking... we should move the rockets from way out in the middle of nowwhere to Midtown... in that superblock... spruce it up a little - ok a LOT - and present them tastefully. Tourits will then come in droves.

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

I was thinking something similar - but not in Midtown. Instead, I'd put them in Tranquility Park downtown (or maybe convert Sam Houston Park). Alternatively, the Downtown Post Office would be an excellent spot for a museum devoted to the history of manned spaceflight - right in the center of the city.

But, alas, the power-that-be would probably never allow these treasures to be moved to the city center, away from JSC.

I don't feel that Houston's proposal for a shuttle necessarily had to be located at the Johnson Space Center. I think a big attraction on the level of the Georgia Aquarium could have been built downtown that could have brought in tourist. It could have been huge and had all sorts of stuff related to space, the moon, etc and could have been what Space Center Houston was really ment to be. This also could have gone in the Musem District or maybe even inside of the Astrodome. I think downtown would have been the best place for it though.

One word, astrodome.

• 1 month later...

I remember when the NASA barge would come up the Clear Creek channel back in the 70's to deliver some piece of simulation equipment. The drawbidge (and swingbridge) at Kemah would have to be opened to it's maximun reach and then the big covered barge would inch it's way through. It took close to 30 minutes to complete the task, as it barely fit through. The barge had a white bubbletop that covered the contents (top secret we all presumed).

I remember when the NASA barge would come up the Clear Creek channel back in the 70's to deliver some piece of simulation equipment. The drawbidge (and swingbridge) at Kemah would have to be opened to it's maximun reach and then the big covered barge would inch it's way through. It took close to 30 minutes to complete the task, as it barely fit through. The barge had a white bubbletop that covered the contents (top secret we all presumed).
Wow! I remember the old draw bridge and swing bridge RR track.

Archived