Review My House Plan

beachbum

Will all of you builders/architects please review this house plan. My wife is fixated on it because she loves modern architecture and because of it's compact size. I could take it or leave it. But what worries me is that because of it's unusual design, it might be expensive to build. Just from this link, could any of you enlighten me as to if this is too expensive to build?

house plan

Will all of you builders/architects please review this house plan.  My wife is fixated on it because she loves modern architecture and because of it's compact size.  I could take it or leave it.  But what worries me is that because of it's unusual design, it might be expensive to build.  Just from this link, could any of you enlighten me as to if this is too expensive to build?

house plan

What do you consider "too" expensive? Bill Gates wouldn't consider it too expensive....

Where are you planning on building this? that will make a difference too...personally i wouldnt pay over 100k for this but im not a fan of the design but if ur wife is clinging to it...goodluck

I was looking to pay about $115,000.00 to have it built. Do you guys think this is realistic? Say, instead of copper, use raised seam metal roof painted copper color and use a siding (hardiplank type) that mimics real shingles. It would be built right by the water.

Do you already have a lot?

If you do, I think can build this with some slight material modifications as been suggested.

If you haven't bought a lot already, the overall costs would be a lot more unless you find something real cheap.

Anyway, I love the floorplan. It's simple and has everything you need.

It's not out of the question to build 1,680 sf for $115k but you'll have to be cautious of the following:

1. Copper Roof is definitely out. Metal roof at $300-$400 per square isn't likely an option either. Asphalt shingles are probably the only roofing material available at that price unless you make some siginificant concessions elsewhere.

2. Foundation system. I don't know your proximity to the water, flood plain, etc. but if you have to build the house on piers the combination of the piers and the floor framing will be costly. If you can stick with slab on grade (post tensioned or otherwise) you're probably still in the game.

3. As mentioned, wood shingle siding is out because of our climate. Hardi shingle will work. Being close to the water, you probably ought to look at furring the shingles/siding off the underlayment to let the assembly breathe. Not overly expensive and good for long term durability.

4. You can probably afford selective application of upgraded materials like granite/stone/solid surface counter in the kitchen, nice flooring/shower in the master but otherwise, you'll have to be very careful about material selection on flooring, cabinets, and trim. Be especially cautious on trim because of its effect on the paint budget.

5. On the plan you've selected, the master has something like 400sf of open 'loft' to the main living area below. That is likely a budget buster since you've got to pay for framing/drywalling/painting/heating/cooling that space and you were already up against the wall at 1,680 sf, let alone 2,000.

that's my two cents.

It's not out of the question to build 1,680 sf for $115k but you'll have to be cautious of the following:

1.  Copper Roof is definitely out.  Metal roof at $300-$400 per square isn't likely an option either.  Asphalt shingles are probably the only roofing material available at that price unless you make some siginificant concessions elsewhere.

2.  Foundation system.  I don't know your proximity to the water, flood plain, etc. but if you have to build the house on piers the combination of the piers and the floor framing will be costly.  If you can stick with slab on grade (post tensioned or otherwise)  you're probably still in the game.

3.  As mentioned, wood shingle siding is out because of our climate.  Hardi shingle will work.  Being close to the water, you probably ought to look at furring the shingles/siding off the underlayment to let the assembly breathe.  Not overly expensive and good for long term durability.

4.  You can probably afford selective application of upgraded materials like granite/stone/solid surface counter in the kitchen, nice flooring/shower in the master but otherwise, you'll have to be very careful about material selection on flooring, cabinets, and trim.  Be especially cautious on trim because of its effect on the paint budget.

5.  On the plan you've selected, the master has something like 400sf of open 'loft' to the main living area below.  That is likely a budget buster since you've got to pay for framing/drywalling/painting/heating/cooling that space and you were already up against the wall at 1,680 sf, let alone 2,000.

that's my two cents.

Thanks for your input!

As far as the foundation, it will be on a slab, but elevated off of the street level about 4 feet. Wow! I did not know that metal roofing is so expensive. Does anyone know of an alternative metal roofing that is not so costly?

Slab 4' above the street = lots o fill material if you are going to use a slab (and the site doesn't already have that slope). You will need to check with your municipality. If they have a 'zero net fill' requirement for a building permit, the fill to +4 won't be an option.

Yeah,

And then you'll have to move to peirs.

Couldn't you just build the house on peirs so you can park under it. The Garage space would become another room.

Cars, boat, patio, and etc could be under the house.