Super Bowl XLV - Arlington/North Texas

lockmat

Bonus points to anyone who can tell us what the roman numerals add up to without cheating (or already knowing b/c they've heard someone say it) ;P

Is this the ultimate Dallas dis?

Former Cowboys running back Walt Garrison — who really was a cowboy, as in rodeo — told a Super Bowl pep rally, "Nothing against Dallas (yeah, right), but Fort Worth is my kind of place. The big difference between our friends to the east and Fort Worth is, in Fort Worth the (expletive) is on the outside of the boots."

Great article to read for anyone that likes to give Dallas a hard time :) http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7412278.html

daaaaang! lol

What does everyone have planned for the game. Watching it alone? With family? Friends? Both? at a bar/hotel? Anyone doing something creative?

I laughed when I read that Hoffman article this morning. Great quote and I couldn't agree with him more. I love Fort Worth but loath Dallas. I might even become a Cowboy fan if they changed their name to the Fort Worth Cowboys.

Wish I spoke Roman so I could give you an answer to your question.

What the national media is saying about Dallas and the North Texas Super Bowl Debacle

Newsday NFL columnist Bob Glauber: "NFL owners approved NY/NJ Super Bowl at a meeting last May in ... Dallas. Getting a sneak peak at what is might be like with the snow." ... "Completely agree. We know snow in NY/NJ!!" in response to "NY/NJ Super Bowl won't be like this one, NY/NJ OWN plows, salt trucks!"

CNBC business reporter Darren Rovell: "Academy Sports canceling its Emmitt Smith event tonight & closing all Dallas-Fort Worth stores by 5pm. Expect more weather fallout."

Peter King of Sports Illustrated tweeted on the mess: "I'm telling you: I-30 between Dallas + Fort Worth is a plow-less, snow-windswept moonscape. This is officially a debacle."

ESPN writer David Ubben tweeted: "A foot of snow for All-Star Weekend? Ice and six inches of snow for the Super Bowl? What did Jerry Jones do to Mother Nature's daughter?"

Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch: "As a New Yorker, I'm used to this tableau. But this is crazy for Dallas. View from a backyard in town."

Detroit radio host Jamie Sameulsen: "I hope some writer writes a column praising Detroit this weekend. We were totally prepared for bad weather. Dallas, clearly, is not."

CNBC sports writer Darren Rovell: "After salt and shovels, heat lamps are the next most coveted item. Party planners freaking out about keeping fans/execs warm"

SI.com writer Stewart Mandel: "Hey people in Dallas: This snow apocalypse you're whining about en masse, we in New York call it "Tuesday"...Estimate: 80 percent of sportswriters at Super Bowl complaining about weather also complain about the BCS, played in Arizona/Calif/Fla/N.O."

ESPN NFL reporter Adam Schefter: "One Fort Worth restaurant owner projected his establishment would generate $850,000 this week. Now he said he'd be happy with $85,000."

and my personal favorite:

National radio host Jim Rome: "6 inches of snow? Really, Dallas? Good luck getting another Super Bowl."

National radio host Jim Rome: "6 inches of snow? Really, Dallas? Good luck getting another Super Bowl."

The bad news is, when they think of how poor the weather was in Dallas this week and the lack of preparedness, they'll think about Texas as a whole, including Houston (imo). Many think Houston was not likely to get another anyway, but we can also probably kiss another super bowl goodbye.

The bad news is, when they think of how poor the weather was in Dallas this week and the lack of preparedness, they'll think about Texas as a whole, including Houston (imo). Many think Houston was not likely to get another anyway, but we can also probably kiss another super bowl goodbye.

i disagree. First off, Houston left a very good impression from 04.

Second, Houston and Dallas winter weather is miles apart. Dallas gets snow every year, they avg 2-3 days of snow a year. Dallas avgs 30 nights a year at or below freezing. They are a cold-winter city. Houston, we avg snow once every 5 years ..maybe. That fact makes it even more remarkable that Dallas has effed this up. They Should be used to this. They aren't Houston. They get snow and ice often enough that they should be much more well equipped to remove it and they should be embarrassed by this situation.

Dallas avgs 30 nights a year at or below freezing. They are a cold-winter city. That they are so ill-prepared to handle ths ice and snow is an embarrassment for them.

"Many think Houston was not likely to get another anyway"

Who is "many"? 04 was a raging success and there is no reason why we shouldn't be on the short list with Tampa, Miami, San Diego, N.O., and Phoenix.

i disagree. First off, Houston left a very good impression from 04.

Second, Houston and Dallas winter weather is miles apart. Dallas gets snow every year, they avg 2-3 days of snow a year. Houston, we avg once every 5 years.. maybe. That fact makes it even more remarkable that Dallas has effed this up. They Should be used to this. They aren't Houston. They get snow often enough that they should be much more well equipped to remove it.

"Many think Houston was not likely to get another anyway"

Who is "many"? 04 was a raging success and there is no reason why we shouldn't be on the short list with Tampa, Miami, San Diego, N.O., and Phoenix.

I'm not saying Houston didn't leave a good impression after their hosting. Houston always does things first class.

But in the minds of media people, I think they'll lump this week in Dallas with Houston. To them, it's just Texas. They don't pay attention enough to know there's a difference.

Bill Simmons mocked in his mailbag how Dallas was using sand instead of salt to melt the ice away. I'm not a ice/snow clearing expert, but he's from Boston and knows more than me for sure. But I do know Houston used sand as well. Is Houston really ready for this type of weather, too? If this had happened on the weekend of the game, would people have the ability to get to the game, media, fan events etc?

This was Bill Simmons criteria for hosting a super bowl, which I would bet that most media would probably agree with him. When attending a super bowl, it's about more than just the game. To fans and the media it's about nice weather (more so for the media) and fun. Houston's Jan/Feb weather could be hit or miss. Fun, Houston may have some, but we're not Miami, New Orleans or LA. We're at least on par or above San Diego in fun.

SG: Let the party begin! Can somebody explain how I've been in Dallas for two snowstorms in the past 12 months, yet it doesn't have snow plows and it sands the roads instead of using salt? Sanding the roads? What was Plan B, pouring hot water on them? Amazingly, Dallas would have to snow locusts to pass Jacksonville as the Worst Super Bowl Location of All Time. But over the past eight years, I've been able to narrow the criteria for what a Super Bowl location SHOULD be into 10 bullet points:

1. If MTV would never film a "Real World" season in your city, you probably shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

2. If your city shuts down for drinking at 2 a.m., you probably shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

3. If your downtown isn't big enough to house everybody, so some visitors will have to stay in another city that's at least 35-40 minutes away, you probably shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

4. If I have to pack a winter jacket, you shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

5. If you don't have enough luxury hotels with sizable minibars that call girls can ravage after a heavy hitter, celebrity, rapper or suit passes out, you probably shouldn't host a Super Bowl.

6. If you're located in a place that makes no sense whatsoever for a February family vacation or a spring break week, you probably shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

7. If your city is short on strippers and/or cabs, you probably shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

8. If your airport is more than 35 minutes away from your downtown, you probably shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

9. If your location doesn't quadruple the chances that a player on one of the two teams will get arrested, you shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

10. If the only reason the Super Bowl is in your city is "We just built a new stadium," you shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

Bonus bullet point: If your solution for highways laden with black ice and/or snow is "We need more sand," you shouldn't host the Super Bowl.

That leaves Miami, San Diego, New Orleans (even if New Orleans can get chilly, Bourbon Street makes up for it), Las Vegas (if it ever builds a stadium) and Los Angeles (hopefully breaking ground on Farmers Field soon) as our We Should Be The Super Bowl Rotation quintet in an ideal world. Of course, things never work out ideally, so it's probably futile to complain about it. Other than those five cities, Dallas is the best alternative (frigid weather aside) for four reasons: It's a fun city to visit if you've never been there (the JFK assassination spot pushes it over the top); it's like going to another country (as I've said many times, I believe Texas should secede -- it already has its own flag and identity, now it just needs to start printing its own money); it brings a unique food experience to the table (Texas barbecue); and it offers the best state-of-the-art football stadium on the planet.

Think of it this way: If you're lucky enough to have a ticket Sunday, the experience of being there, in that stadium, will trump anything else that might happen to you that week … short of shivering on a street corner at 2:15 a.m. after the bars close, then having a limo pull up, Mark Cuban roll down the window like Jack Horner and ask "Want to join the party?" You can't oversell how cool that stadium is. For that reason alone, I'm fine with dipping outside the Warm Weather Quintet this one time. Repeat: once.

http://sports.espn.g...04&sportCat=nfl

Ultimately the decision is made by NFL owners if I'm correct. So I guess it all depends on what the opinion is in their own little fraternity.

Also, when I say "many," I guess I'm mostly talking about our local media (chron and radio). None of them deny that Houston did great as a host city, but they just don't think it's realistic we get it again.

I hope they're wrong.

Your attempt at lumping Houston with Dallas' fail is a fail of its own. No one confuses the two. HOWEVER, Houston will not get another Super Bowl, because the small market owners are still mad at Bob McNair for his attempts to get more money for the big market owners, of which he is one. They punish him by voting out Houston for another SB.

Dallas will probably get another SB only for the money they get from Jerry World. The fans and media will continue to gripe, but the owners will rake in the cash. Remember, only 200,000 fans gripe AT the Super Bowl. 150 million watch on TV. And the owners bag the cash. While this SB is a bigger debacle than Atlanta, Jerry's money will allow them to explain it away.

It's hard to oversell how big a failure this has been when the hometown paper has it as its headline all week.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/local/20110204-bad-weather-devastating_to-super-bowl_s-economic-impact-for-dallas-fort-worth.ece

Bad karma was incured when they eminent domained a neighborhood out of existence in order to build that place. Failure will be the Cowboys' legacy for many years..

The New York Post viciously attacked DFW this morning...

"this was the endgame to a week-long fiasco that should prevent Dallas from ever even getting a sniff of the Super Bowl again."

"There is no way to spin this. There is no way to explain this. Think about it: THE SUPER BOWL SHOWED UP YESTERDAY AND DALLAS WASN'T READY FOR IT!"

"If the Super Bowl ever wanders anywhere near north Texas again, there ought to be an investigation. Epic FAIL."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/joke_on_fans_as_dallas_drops_ball_mJUTZ68Qu3ElNbdDKqemMJ

What gabe me the giggles is that they mentioned the actual location of the stadium instead of dallas.

To be fair, dallas really got some undeserved criticism from on a few things that were out of their control, but considering that EVERYONE knew the storm was on the way, officials should have been abit more prepared, esp since they said they were ready for whatever mother nature would throw at them.

I'm sure by now everyone knows but it's 45.

L = 50

X = 10

V = 5

The X to the left of the L means minus

An X to the right of the L would mean plus

L minus X plus V

50 minus 10 plus 5

I believe Roman numerals were taught in the lower grades way "back when".

Of course, the times they are achanging so I could be entirely wrong.

And what about all those fans who were denied entrance because the fire marshall deemed their seats 'unsafe'......not happy fans. Even at 3 times the refund, it's no consolation.

On the way home, the "boss" for 610 gave his story of how bad his game day experience. It's not podcasted yet, but here's another bad experience of a super bowl "veteran."

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/02/07/super-bowl-ticket-gate/

If anyone has other stories, podcasts or videos, post them here. I just began using Google News for: dallas super bowl host experience.

Archived