The Pope's Park

GovernorAggie

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/rssstory.mpl/m...politan/3214011

The bone that I have to pick with the atheist's comments is that there are several things in our country that are publicly funded and named after Martin Luther King, Jr., who was a minister first, then a civil rights leader. After all, his formal name was Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. However, MLK had an impact waaaay outside the pulpit.

I know of one Malcolm X Blvd. in New York, and he was a minister of Islam long before he even had a greater understanding of civil rights for everyone. Anyone seen the movie? What'd they call him? "Brother Minister".

I see nothing with the name "John Paul's Landing". He impacted billions of lives around the world, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, Taoist, whatever else. I mean, using the argument that the public project can't be named for him is similar to saying that youc an't use taxpayer-funded policeman to protect the Pope when he comes to your town, just because all of your taxpayers may not believe in Jesus.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/rssstory.mpl/m...politan/3214011

The bone that I have to pick with the atheist's comments is that there are several things in our country that are publicly funded and named after Martin Luther King, Jr., who was a minister first, then a civil rights leader.  After all, his formal name was Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  However, MLK had an impact waaaay outside the pulpit.

I know of one Malcolm X Blvd. in New York, and he was a minister of Islam long before he even had a greater understanding of civil rights for everyone.  Anyone seen the movie?  What'd they call him?  "Brother Minister". 

I see nothing with the name "John Paul's Landing".  He impacted billions of lives around the world, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, Taoist, whatever else.  I mean, using the argument that the public project can't be named for him is similar to saying that youc an't use taxpayer-funded policeman to protect the Pope when he comes to your town, just because all of your taxpayers may not believe in Jesus.

The problem, I think, is that the examples you cite are being recognized for their contribution to the civil rights movement, not their religious affiliation.

The Pope, on the other hand, is being honored for his religious affiliation. So, I can certainly understand why some people might see it as being a separation of church and state issue.

The point I think GovernorAggie was making is that the Pope had a great impact outside of religion around the world. Ever heard of Poland uprising against Communist Russia. The Pope was credited with giving the Pols the strength to do so. It was a religious outreach, but an outreach of freedom.

Also, we need to realized that Pope John Paul II was also the head of the Vatican and not just the Pope. He was a state head. How many times have we named placed after foreign head of states in the US? Many.

Aother thing, it's not like the County is trying to convert people or force any religion by naming the park. You have some serious problems if the name of a park can offend you.

It's another example of people in the country just being to much of a cry baby.

As a former Catholic, but current agnostic, naming a park after the Pope does not offend me. He spent his entire life working for peace, and helping the poor. I would be in favor of naming any park after a leader, religious or otherwise, who did such great work.

Unfortunately, I believe there are far more parks in Houston than peace preaching leaders to name them after.

The point I think GovernorAggie was making is that the Pope had a great impact outside of religion around the world.  Ever heard of Poland uprising against Communist Russia.  The Pope was credited with giving the Pols the strength to do so.  It was a religious outreach, but an outreach of freedom.

Also, we need to realized that Pope John Paul II was also the head of the Vatican and not just the Pope.  He was a state head.  How many times have we named placed after foreign head of states in the US?  Many.

Aother thing, it's not like the County is trying to convert people or force any religion by naming the park. You have some serious problems if the name of a park can offend you.

My point exactly!

Well, this will be the third park Radack has named after a Catholic.

Am I the only one who finds this odd?

How about us Jews?

Us Jews already attacked Meyerland (how much more Jewish could that be LOL!!)

;)

oh and we also got half of Hollywood and NY as well ;)

or do you mean Locally or well known public places?

They should name it after local firemen, policemen, or teachers (like AISD). I dislike naming anything after political figures (especially living political figures, although this one no longer counts as one). Hobby Airport was once named after Howard Hughes, but Houstonians were upset about it for that reason. Now fifty or so years later, Houston Intercontinental was renamed Bush, and no one even cared.

Actually, according to the Houston Airport site, when the city found out that the federal government would not give money to an airport named after a living person, they changed the name back to Houston Municipal Airport.

Apparently, that rule is no longer in effect.

The point I think GovernorAggie was making is that the Pope had a great impact outside of religion around the world.  Ever heard of Poland uprising against Communist Russia.  The Pope was credited with giving the Pols the strength to do so.  It was a religious outreach, but an outreach of freedom.

Also, we need to realized that Pope John Paul II was also the head of the Vatican and not just the Pope.  He was a state head.  How many times have we named placed after foreign head of states in the US?  Many.

At least you're tolerant of other people's opinions...

• 2 weeks later...

i had a great amount of respect for the former pope, especially his stance on human rights, so i'm not opposed to a park being named after him. i am opposed to commissioner's court spending so much time debating what to name a park, having the goal of creating dog parks as a priority, while saying the hospital district could "trim millions" from their budget. it seems to me commissioners court should concern themselves with real issues that impact residents of harris county. what to name parks should be left up to a citizen's advisory board, or in the case of controversy, the voters.

debmartin

Pope John Paul was a foreign head of state, he was never a resident of this county, he never personally did anything to benefit this county, and, in fact, he never even visited this county. Why should we have a county park for him?

If someone wants to pay tribute to someone because they are a religious icon, then locate the tribute on the property of a religious institution.

My personal feeling is that the pope and his organization has done and are doing a great deal of harm to the world, especially to Mexico with its assinine stand on birth control. Houston is experiencing the negative effects that doctrine with the flood of illegal aliens we have in this city.

No, I do not want my tax dollars spent on that man. But then, I didn