Houston has some Long Streets/Roads

MetroMogul

With the recent extensions of Chimney Rock Rd, S. Post Oak, and Kirby Drive deep into Fort Bend county, I've realized that Houston has a habit of creating bits and pieces of a road and connecting those pieces over several decades. Look at the disjointed segments of Airport/W. Airport Blvd. and Beechnut St. and Bellaire Blvd which extends to Grand Pkwy. Mason, Fry, and Little York are also long as hell too. Oh, how can I forget Wayside? I wonder what the rationale is behind this.

With the recent extensions of Chimney Rock Rd, S. Post Oak, and Kirby Drive deep into Fort Bend county, I've realized that Houston has a habit of creating bits and pieces of a road and connecting those pieces over several decades. Look at the disjointed segments of Airport/W. Airport Blvd. and Beechnut St. and Bellaire Blvd which extends to Grand Pkwy. Mason, Fry, and Little York are also long as hell too. Oh, how can I forget Wayside? I wonder what the rationale is behind this.

It mostly has to do with the City of Houston's 'Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan' (MTFP), which although having changed over the course of about 60-ish years, still retains a basic grid pattern throughout most of our metropolitan area. It filled in where there was growth and skipped over areas that got leapfrogged.

It mostly has to do with the City of Houston's 'Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan' (MTFP), which although having changed over the course of about 60-ish years, still retains a basic grid pattern throughout most of our metropolitan area. It filled in where there was growth and skipped over areas that got leapfrogged.

Here's some 1942 copies of the thoroughfare maps you referenced.

http://texasfreeway.com/Houston/historic/freeway_planning_maps/images/1942_houston_major_street_plan.jpg

http://texasfreeway.com/Houston/historic/freeway_planning_maps/images/1942_loop_hres.jpg

This 1959 planning map shows the regional grid pattern well.

http://texasfreeway.com/Houston/historic/freeway_planning_maps/images/1959_houston_merged_cropped_hres.jpg

Just a pet peeve of mine - the noncontinuations of W Orem, E Orem, Almeda Genoa, and how they trade names.

If it was continuous, though, you could follow the E Orem/Almeda Genoa segment east (then north) as it changes to Shaver, Federal Rd/Maxey/FM 526/Lake Houston Parkway.

Just a pet peeve of mine - the noncontinuations of W Orem, E Orem, Almeda Genoa, and how they trade names.

If it was continuous, though, you could follow the E Orem/Almeda Genoa segment east (then north) as it changes to Shaver, Federal Rd/Maxey/FM 526/Lake Houston Parkway.

Well they did eliminate some confusion a few years back when they built the Mykawa overpass connecting orem to almeda-genoa.

They wiped out Willardville Road - which ran in that alignment.

T.C. Jester is another one that has tripped me up on occasion. It is bad enough that the same name is used on discontinuous segments but the street numbers seem correlate to a continuous street.

And, in some places, there are East and West versions.

wonder what the average length of a named street is in houston?

like, westheimer is 28 miles from one end to the other, bissonnet is 18 miles, but what's the average length?

and what is it for other cities? and then what is houston city limit size vs those other cities?

are we that far out of the norm?

Well they did eliminate some confusion a few years back when they built the Mykawa overpass connecting orem to almeda-genoa.

They wiped out Willardville Road - which ran in that alignment.

Willardville! I was wondering about that..

Keith, Inc. on E. Orem still has the Willardville address on a sign and on their site:

http://www.keithinc.com/contact-us.html

• The title was changed to Houston has some Long Streets/Roads

Archived