Spring Branch Gessner Corridor

SpringShadows

Great News,

Our latest neighborhood Spring Branch Newsletter told us to rejoice as the new designs for the Spring Branch Gessner Corridor are on the drawing board for the run between I-10 and 290. I understand it will be a total overhaul with a lot of decorative additions, flowers, pavers, custom features and monuments.

It's been a long time coming but this will have a huge impact on many of the beautiful neighborhoods in the area like Spring Shadows, Spring Woods, etc. Not to mention the dozens of new amazing homes going up and new real estate developments happening in the area.

Not sure what that has to do with Gessner being reworked. Maybe I'm missing something?

I heard 2013.

It's a rough part of town if you are afraid of 75 - 80 year old folks. I've lived here for 4 years and I've never felt scared. When I drive to work at 5:50 am I see white women in their 30's jogging, they don't seem scared.

Not sure what that has to do with Gessner being reworked. Maybe I'm missing something?

I heard 2013.

lol...sorry! I guess I thought I had clicked on the new Houston Pavilions Scott Gertner club thread and just read the question about when it was opening!!! :P

Wow, so it's going all the way from I-10 to 290? I wonder how that will go. That part of Gessner is in need of a HUGE facelift. I wouldn't say that the area is rough, but it certainly is "ghetto" (for lack of a better word). I have lived in the area for 22-23 years now (in Kempwood North) and have seen the area get progressively worse.

I wonder how they will approach the strip of Gessner from Clay to 290? That area is all business/warehouse.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some renderings.

Great News,

Our latest neighborhood Spring Branch Newsletter told us to rejoice as the new designs for the Spring Branch Gessner Corridor are on the drawing board for the run between I-10 and 290. I understand it will be a total overhaul with a lot of decorative additions, flowers, pavers, custom features and monuments.

It's been a long time coming but this will have a huge impact on many of the beautiful neighborhoods in the area like Spring Shadows, Spring Woods, etc. Not to mention the dozens of new amazing homes going up and new real estate developments happening in the area.

Same question I had on the bike route - what makes this a "corridor"? What does that mean?

• 1 year later...

Never thought I would say this, but LTAWACS has a point. I see new street lights going up at Hammerly, I'm not complaining, but that isn't what folks in favor of the tax were voting for.

On the very bright side, I see bright orange spray paint all over Spring Shadows streets, could better drainage actually be on the way?! That would be a dream come true for the folks in that neighborhood.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Isnt that a rough part of town?

No.

You could say that the apartment complexes themselves are the "rough part of town" but other than that, no.

Not at all.

I've lived in the neighborhood west of Gessner, east of the Betlway, north of Westview, south of Spring Woods High School for 26 years.

My dad's an HPD officer for the area, and my mom's a realtor. Between the two of them, I'm kept pretty damn well informed of what's what in the area.

Basically, everything is pretty much just nice and quiet.

It's not the ghetto either, by any means. Again, certain parts are.

The various apartments themselves, and the chunk of neighborhood east of Gessner, north of Long Point, south of Neuens, west of Witte...THOSE are the ghetto.

Everything else is basically just fine.

It's mostly just Gessner and those storefronts themselves that make the area LOOK bad. There's lots of perfectly fine stuff on Gessner with lots of trashy stuff in between... *shrug*

Nonetheless, a lot of it HAS been improving slowly but surely over the years.

My neighborhood is rapidly rising in value as more and more doctors and Medical Center personnel move into the area.

Examples of the various people in my neighborhood:

• One of our former neighbors is a geologist for BP. He and his wife loved the neighborhood, and the only reason they moved is because they were about to have a kid and BP was just giving him huge amounts of money not to go work for a competitor, so he felt it was silly NOT to get a house big enough for their new needs.

• My next-door neighbor's brother-in-law is an Archbishop, one of her sons is one of the Deans at the Art Institute Of Houston, and another one of her sons runs the River Oaks Country Club.

• The guy down the street from me owns one of the bigger inspection corporations in the state

• My OTHER next-door neighbors are a doctor and a nurse.

Not exactly the ghetto.

Sorry if I'm long-winded (that's just how I am). I've been reading the various threads about the development of the Memorial City District, and I just kept reading all these really stupid comments about stuff built on the wrong side of I-10 and having to put up with people from the north side of the freeway... Made me want to punch someone in the throat and give them a legitimate complaint...

Finally had to say something since this is an actual current thread. <_<

I have all manner of friends who went to Memorial High School and live in that area. If I didn't already know people from there, those types of stupid comments would be enough to lower my baseline opinion of "Memorial area" denizens in general.

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Spring Branch Gessner Corridor

Archived