If I were an evil overlord... err... urban planner

Simbha

That's a very good point. Not only are Houstonians not used to driving with and around pedestrians (and bikes), it sometimes feels that drivers actually resent having them around. I've even heard cyclists complain that people in cars have thrown things at them. More traffic-calming and pedestrian friendly designs like the islands shown above can slow down cars and make it safer for everyone.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that I'll slow down. I'll only turn up the Zeppelin to enhance the experience of the gauntlet that 'traffic calming' has created. I'm like that. I'm not alone, either.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that I'll slow down. I'll only turn up the Zeppelin to enhance the experience of the gauntlet that 'traffic calming' has created. I'm like that. I'm not alone, either.

As long as "most" people slow down, that could be called a success.

On another note, did you go to the Jason Bonham concert the other night? They were a pretty decent cover band overall, although I thought it sort of lame that they needed two guitarists to cover for one Jimmy Page.

Speaking of golf, does anyone know if there is a place where I can rent a set of clubs? I'd love to take some to the municipal course, but the only places I know that rent are expensive private courses.

Herrman Park rents decent clubs, Callaway's I think. I think Memorial Park does as well. Call them up and ask.

I disagree. I work there and the number of quality restaurants in the area leaves a lot to be desired. There are lunch options in the Village but the 20 minute walk there and back makes a daily trip unfeasible. There are great swathes of Med Center real estate given over to anonymous stucco facades or sterile landscaping, that are made all the more glaring by the small pockets of zero-setback retail that do exist (the strip with Chipotle in it comes to mind). Think of these spaces occupied by local restaurants, gift shops, hell even a convenience store - quite aside from the 70,000 people who work there, the number of out-of-towners that passes through each year is mind-boggling. There is some retail and restaurants in the actual office buildings, but I'm talking about breathing a bit of life into the streets of the Medical Center. BCM has Luby's, St Luke's has McDonalds. Bleh doesn't even come close. Sure there's the new Commons, but can't the world's biggest and best medical center do just a wee bit better with its streetscape....?

Oh, I agree with what you're saying. Although I don't work in the TMC, I live in the museum district and would love to see more restaurants in this area. The broad point of this thread, though - for me, at least - was to address 'cityscape' (i.e., the broader outline of the city and its skyline, in particular. Of course, I deviated from this somewhat myself so there's no foul in calling for more restaurants. I'm just pointing out that I was being somewhat deliberate in not addressing this issue.

That's a very good point. Not only are Houstonians not used to driving with and around pedestrians (and bikes), it sometimes feels that drivers actually resent having them around. I've even heard cyclists complain that people in cars have thrown things at them. More traffic-calming and pedestrian friendly designs like the islands shown above can slow down cars and make it safer for everyone.

I'd like to see more bike lanes around the city. I'm not a cyclist; my bike's probably 12 years old and may have seen action for the first half of that period. Even so, I realize the importance of bikes for many people as both forms of exercise and transportation.

However, one personal observation... I am tired of cyclists not obeying the rules of the road. It is my understanding (and only makes sense to me) that a bicycle in Houston (or Texas -- not sure which) is considered a street vehicle and is entitled - indeed, required - to use the vehicular lanes in most cases. The purpose of bike lanes is simply to ease the traffic that may come about from bicycles using the 'normal' lanes and for the safety of all... But, that cyclists are required to obey the rules of the road like any other vehicle. I can't tell you - and probably don't have to - how many times I've seen a cyclists run a red light, veer into traffic, etc. I think that, if cyclists were to obey the vehicular rules, they'd get the respect of any other operator of a moving vehicle.

Oh, I agree with what you're saying. Although I don't work in the TMC, I live in the museum district and would love to see more restaurants in this area. The broad point of this thread, though - for me, at least - was to address 'cityscape' (i.e., the broader outline of the city and its skyline, in particular. Of course, I deviated from this somewhat myself so there's no foul in calling for more restaurants. I'm just pointing out that I was being somewhat deliberate in not addressing this issue.

Restaurants...retail.....whatever. Anything to break up the miasma of beige stucco and landscaping at eye level. A city's outline begins with its streets.

As much as possible I'd like to see this as a natural bayou area. Remove the cloverleaf intersection at Memorial and Shepherd, or better yet demolish the freeway section of Memorial from Shepherd to downtown. While we're dreaming, I would like to see the Pierce Elevated either demolished or tunneled.

Interesting point on this one. Personally, I like the "super-street"/expressway portion of Memorial. In fact, I wouldn't get rid of it--I would refresh it. To me, Memorial is one of the city's most signature drives, and a (long overdue) repaving coupled with improved bridgework, a simplification of the Waugh interchange (similar to the Shepherd interchange), a replacement of the chain-link fence median with something like wrought iron and stone, decorative lighting, more landscaping of overpasses and retaining walls (a la the Living Bridge in the park), and fresh updated signage would do wonders for Memorial. I know some hate to use other places as references, but Memorial (and Allen for that matter) should be our versions of the great parkways in DC and New York.

It just has a tired feel to it today. The 75th anniversary of Memorial's opening will be in 2031. Maybe something like this can be done by then??

It just has a tired feel to it today. The 75th anniversary of Memorial's opening will be in 2031. Maybe something like this can be done by then??

Perhaps, but as I recall the quality of the pavement is still excellent on account of that there is little stop-and-go traffic (or especially truck traffic).

Interesting point on this one. Personally, I like the "super-street"/expressway portion of Memorial. In fact, I wouldn't get rid of it--I would refresh it. To me, Memorial is one of the city's most signature drives, and a (long overdue) repaving coupled with improved bridgework, a simplification of the Waugh interchange (similar to the Shepherd interchange), a replacement of the chain-link fence median with something like wrought iron and stone, decorative lighting, more landscaping of overpasses and retaining walls (a la the Living Bridge in the park), and fresh updated signage would do wonders for Memorial. I know some hate to use other places as references, but Memorial (and Allen for that matter) should be our versions of the great parkways in DC and New York.

Are cloverleaf interchanges that evil?!? I always prefer something like that over an interchange with lights. The only update I would possibly suggest is a dedicated lane on waugh for entrance and exit rather than trying to merge right after the cloverleaf turn (i.e. Memorial West to Waugh North).

Are cloverleaf interchanges that evil?!? I always prefer something like that over an interchange with lights. The only update I would possibly suggest is a dedicated lane on waugh for entrance and exit rather than trying to merge right after the cloverleaf turn (i.e. Memorial West to Waugh North).

The amount of space they occupy and their configuration renders a large area of real estate close to downtown effectively off limits to any form of development. Given the pressure on land use in the area, it's highly prodigal.

The amount of space they occupy and their configuration renders a large area of real estate close to downtown effectively off limits to any form of development. Given the pressure on land use in the area, it's highly prodigal.

I like the cloverleaf too. You don't necessarily have to be a pedestrian to enjoy the use of parks and open spaces, after all.

Not evil, but wasteful, especially on an intersection like that one that doesn't really have to carry all that much traffic. What makes it doubly unfortunate is that all used to be a city park. I'd rather remove the cloverleaf and return it to parkland.

Not evil, but wasteful, especially on an intersection like that one that doesn't really have to carry all that much traffic. What makes it doubly unfortunate is that all used to be a city park.

The cloverleaf would be rendered ineffective in its current form if there were more traffic. But for now (and likely the foreseeable future), it is perfectly appropriate as a traffic control device. It is unnecessary to spend money that we don't have fixing what ain't broken.

I'd rather remove the cloverleaf and return it to parkland.

The cloverleaf is parkland.

The cloverleaf would be rendered ineffective in its current form if there were more traffic. But for now (and likely the foreseeable future), it is perfectly appropriate as a traffic control device. It is unnecessary to spend money that we don't have fixing what ain't broken.

You raise a good point. I've driven that interchange many times and it's a smooth flowing piece of infrastructure due to the low traffic level. I've driven other cloverleaf interchanges in other cities that are a weaving, yielding mess because of too much traffic. I imagine if the Memorial Dr. cloverleaf were replaced with something akin to the signalized interchange at Allen Parkway and Waugh simply for the sake of aesthetics, it would not be efficient as the current setup.

Plus, it has the only 1950's mod style bridge that I know of in Houston, plus points in my book.

memorial_bridge.jpg

Archived