SideShow At 5317 Washington Ave.

curley1733

Does anyone know what is going on with the demolition of a Washington Ave. lumber and hardware store between Detering and Lester? With the completion of the demo, it looks like the entire block will be clear for new contruction. Will this be more residential (right on Washington), strip center, or mixed use?

Does anyone know what is going on with the demolition of a Washington Ave. lumber and hardware store between Detering and Lester? With the completion of the demo, it looks like the entire block will be clear for new contruction. Will this be more residential (right on Washington), strip center, or mixed use?

It looks like it's going to be two new bars. I saw two TABC notices in that area. One was "Patio Pub" and the other was "Kung Fu Saloon" (apparantly there's one of these in Austin?). Don't know much besides that. That lot is huge though, so not sure if all that extra space will be for parking.

It looks like it's going to be two new bars. I saw two TABC notices in that area. One was "Patio Pub" and the other was "Kung Fu Saloon" (apparantly there's one of these in Austin?). Don't know much besides that. That lot is huge though, so not sure if all that extra space will be for parking.

It might be. I heard recently that a bunch of bars on Washington were kind of cheating the system by sharing parking spaces so ample parking has become a pretty big deal down there. There is an ongoing investigation according to the Heights rumor mill. I don't know if this is the case for this lot but having a huge parking lot there is not as far fetched as it might have been before. They can probably lease some of their spots for extra revenue as well .

• The title was changed to Large Demolition On Washington Ave.
  • The title was changed to Kung Fu Saloon At 5317 Washington Ave.
  • 3 months later...

Building related permits filed today indicate a new bar is opening at 5317 Washington Avenue. According the permits, the name of the bar may be Sideshow or Side Show.

5317 Washington Ave was the previous home to Austin-based bar Kung Fu Saloon.

1 Story Occupancy Inspection permit

lhoUDTx.png

Certificate of Occupancy permit

1UguCMI.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

24 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Building related permits filed today indicate a new bar is opening at 5317 Washington Avenue. According the permits, the name of the bar may be Sideshow or Side Show.

A web domain was registered earlier this week for sideshowhtx.com. I'm assuming it's for the bar opening at 5317 Washington Ave.

Additionally, an Instagram account was created in October for Sideshow (or Side Show).

Sideshow replaces Kung Fu Saloon in the Washington Corridor area.

http://sideshowhtx.com

https://www.instagram.com/sideshowhtx

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Correction: I'm not sure Sideshow is replacing Kung Fu Saloon or not. I'm also not sure if the permits filed are for 5317 Washington Ave, Ste A (Kung Fu Saloon) or 5317 Washington Ave, Ste B (Todos Santos). If any of you have further information, feel free to fill the forum in.

23 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

23 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

A web domain was registered earlier this week for sideshowhtx.com. I'm assuming it's for the bar opening at 5317 Washington Ave.

Additionally, an Instagram account was created in October for Sideshow (or Side Show).

Sideshow replaces Kung Fu Saloon in the Washington Corridor area.

http://sideshowhtx.com

https://www.instagram.com/sideshowhtx

15 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Correction: I'm not sure Sideshow is replacing Kung Fu Saloon or not. I'm also not sure if the permits filed are for 5317 Washington Ave, Ste A (Kung Fu Saloon) or 5317 Washington Ave, Ste B (Todos Santos). If any of you have further information, feel free to fill the forum in.

SideShow is indeed replacing Kung Fu Saloon at 5317 Washington Avenue, Suite A. 

There were updates to SideShow's Instagram yesterday that included the addition of a profile picture and a bio. Based off the name and logo, SideShow may be a circus or carnival-themed bar.

I think SideShow is from the group behind Tokyo Joe's / Tokyo Joe's Shot Bar at 2001 Beall St. Tokyo Joe's posted an Instagram story yesterday announcing SideShow.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2023 at 9:56 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

1 Story Occupancy Inspection permit

lhoUDTx.png

Certificate of Occupancy permit

1UguCMI.png

A couple of sign related permits were filed yesterday for 5317 Washington Ave, Ste A:

• Sign construction permit
  • Sign operating permit

Details from the permits:

• Use: N1 Illum 2FC 1PL NOFC 13x5x20 Sideshow
  • FCC Group: High technology sign

As noted in above posts, a new bar called SideShow is replacing the space previously occupied by Kung Fu Saloon. The bar is a new nightlife concept from the team behind Tokyo Joe's in Shady Acres.

Sign construction permit

v8cZCtJ.png

Sign operating permit

K3NERlt.png

• 1 month later...

SideShow is open at 5317 Washington Ave, Suite A. It opened in mid-November, replacing Kung Fu Saloon.

Based on the few videos I viewed on Tik Tok and Instagram, the bar has a carnival and circus theme. I have not driven down Washington Ave in a while, so I'm unsure if the exterior received a paint job. 

Although this is old news, I figured there should some kind of an update posted here.

• The title was changed to 5317 Washington Ave
  • The title was changed to SideShow At 5317 Washington Ave.