How To Lodge A Complaint

Ok, after some research and being fed up with our nieghbor's dogs who do I call? We're shady acres.

The house behind ours has what sounds like half a dozen dogs. When ever they are outside (the set up is weird, we can only catch glimpses of them) they bark non-stop. Sometimes they're out for 10 minutes, some times they're out for 40 minutes.

I'm not sure what is going on over there but they do all bark the entire time they are outside. And some times it is between 11 PM and 6 AM.

Just wondering which HPD office/branch/etc. to lodge a complaint about this and have it checked out.

Thanks!

P.S. I have no intention of talking to them because a) they're aware of the problem and B) apparently before we moved in there used to be vandalism problems from their kids and I don't want to feel the wrath (you mean it's not ok for our kids to launch eggs at your houses in good fun?!?!) and c) the place is pretty creepy looking.

It falls under Animal control, I'm sure there is a set limit as to how many dogs each residence are allowed. There are laws requiring each animal to be tagged and licensed even when they are leashed or compounded. I love dogs and have two but I understand the nuisance for others when the peace and quiet of the neighborhood is under siege. I live out in the country and surrounded by dogs, one front neighbor has about 8!, small dogs but nevertheless loud when they do come out for a few minutes. If I drive up and get out to go in and they are in their pen they just go crazy until I go inside. The way I look at it they were here before I moved in and my neighbors are great people so I just dig in and close it out until they are quiet again. Mine bark at cats out the back bedroom window because they are both house dogs and they really don't do that for long especially if it interferes with their nap time. :D

Good question - I always assumed you just had to call the nonemergency line but it would be nice if there was something more specific.

I don't have it as bad as the OP but the folks in the house behind us have a dog that without fail is an unwelcome alarm clock each morning around 6:30 - not sure if they somewhat recently decided to let it out that early, or if it just stays out now, but it's been going on now for several weeks consistently..

Ok, after some research and being fed up with our nieghbor's dogs who do I call? We're shady acres.

The house behind ours has what sounds like half a dozen dogs. When ever they are outside (the set up is weird, we can only catch glimpses of them) they bark non-stop. Sometimes they're out for 10 minutes, some times they're out for 40 minutes.

I'm not sure what is going on over there but they do all bark the entire time they are outside. And some times it is between 11 PM and 6 AM.

Just wondering which HPD office/branch/etc. to lodge a complaint about this and have it checked out.

Thanks!

P.S. I have no intention of talking to them because a) they're aware of the problem and B) apparently before we moved in there used to be vandalism problems from their kids and I don't want to feel the wrath (you mean it's not ok for our kids to launch eggs at your houses in good fun?!?!) and c) the place is pretty creepy looking.

Call 311. Might be a job for City Code enforcement rather than the guys with guns. But, I am not sure. Always better to dial 311 than to bother the police.

Section 30 of the City Code of Ordinances has a provision on barking dogs, squaking parrots, etc. It is a misdemeanor subject to a fine.

If you have reason to believe the dogs are being mistreated, you should call the humane society. In general, a dog that barks non-stop whenever they see the light of day is not a happy dog.

If you have reason to believe the dogs are being mistreated, you should call the humane society. In general, a dog that barks non-stop whenever they see the light of day is not a happy dog.

Yeah, my wife and I are kinda' worried about that... I'll try 311 and hope whomever I call a) warns the folks about the noise ordinance and B) ensures the dogs are being treated ok.

You can call 311, BARC, or the police non-emergency number. The keeping of 4 or more dogs for any reason constitutes a "dog kennel", requiring a permit. Additionally, all dogs and cats in the City of Houston are required to be licensed, so if they are not tagged, or if there are more than 3, it will be a violation, regardless how much noise they make. Be sure to point these possible violations out in addition to the incessant barking.

Here is the definition of a 'dog kennel', as well as other ordinances.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10123&stateId=43&stateName=Texas

Go to Chapter 6, Article I.

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to How To Lodge A Complaint?
  • The title was changed to How To Lodge A Complaint