Would You Live Downtown

lockmat

The Galleria does not provide effective neighborhood retail, either. It is a poor comparison case.

The post was in response to musicman's concerns about empty retail space downtown, not neighborhood retail.

In context, it was a faaabulous comparison case.

I'm on the board for retail infrastructure!!!

But we need to develop a little more "common retail" first... like a downtown Target for your general items, and more cool places like Freebirds or Bullritos. We just need retail that ups the visibility of downtown, and puts it back on the map for Houston-area shoppers. That IMO is step one.

Thankfully, the increased hotel infrastructure is slowly coming on line. ES will help a bit, but we need another large hotel to really be competitive. One that's 1000 or so rooms. Discovery Green is renewing interest in our convention business quite well, but we still have to be able to house all of those visitors.

Finally the cornerstone is more residential. It doesn't make a lot of sense for us to just overload with residential if there's no interest for it. But I think as the retail and hotel scape improves, people will start to feel like downtown isn't always deserted, and they will see it as a livable area. I've been in Houston for five years, and I'm very pleased with the progress that's taken place so far.

+1 on Bombay Pizza Co... Good Stuff!! :D

Also, are there are early Census numbers? Where!?

Yeah, it was news to me, too. They're not published. But it turns out that there are Census coordinators in most cities. I was on the phone with one recently, and a I off-handedly asked something like "How's all that going so far?" and she kind of unloaded a little about the trends that she's seeing for the area that she is responsible for. I always assumed that all the numbers got mailed back to Washington blankly and some faceless computer there did the tabulation. I don't know how the process works, but it appears that people who work at certain levels of the bureau are able to glean information as it comes in.

i'll agree, we need better night life first...

We tried this remember? About 5-6 years ago, and now there's not much left.

What we need is retail, more food joints, and lastly SIGNAGE! That's part of the reason downtown looks so deserted and bland. The stupid sign ordinance was the dumbest ordinance and is really hurting downtown. People are attracted to signage. For instance, i always forget there's a Chipotle downtown because the only signage it has is a board sign hanging from the roof with the name painted on it. Whack! We need some flash!

Get rid of the stupid sign ordinance!

i'm all for signage too, the ordinance really is ridiculous. We need advertising. Why not put huge advertising posters on Macy's boring walls???

we have a little retail with Macy's and Shops but they never stay open late...

That's also why i'm excited about METRO's decision to allow advertising on their bus'... i feel like every major city allows this.

It may be cluttered with signage and adertising everywhere but at least it makes the city more alive.

What we need is retail, more food joints, and lastly SIGNAGE! That's part of the reason downtown looks so deserted and bland. The stupid sign ordinance was the dumbest ordinance and is really hurting downtown. People are attracted to signage. For instance, i always forget there's a Chipotle downtown because the only signage it has is a board sign hanging from the roof with the name painted on it. Whack! We need some flash!

That's also why i'm excited about METRO's decision to allow advertising on their bus'... i feel like every major city allows this.

If you mean general advertising, I'd be interested to see your source.

METRO currently has advertising on buses and trains, but for only one client:METRO.

I agree completely. The irony of it all is that the spirit of the ordinance was to promote city beautification.

I never saw what the city thinks is so beautiful about having a monotone and boring downtown at night. The developers of the Houston Pavilions had the city bend the rules a little bit when hanging some of the signs, but seemed to renig on the talk of the video screens they once had. Downtown has too many voids. Bayou Place and Pavilions are the only real noteworthy area sights downtown has. It's a shame that a downtown as big as Houston can't have one concentrated area where most the activity takes place. A visitor would have to really know their way around to be able to navigate from Bayou place all the way to the Convention Center.

• 4 weeks later...

I never saw what the city thinks is so beautiful about having a monotone and boring downtown at night. The developers of the Houston Pavilions had the city bend the rules a little bit when hanging some of the signs, but seemed to renig on the talk of the video screens they once had. Downtown has too many voids. Bayou Place and Pavilions are the only real noteworthy area sights downtown has. It's a shame that a downtown as big as Houston can't have one concentrated area where most the activity takes place. A visitor would have to really know their way around to be able to navigate from Bayou place all the way to the Convention Center.

I'd say Discovery Green has both the Pavilions and Bayou Place beat. But you are right, it is a shame for a city of this size :(

I have lived downtown for 6 years now, I kind of love the fact that it is mostly quiet on the weekends (except when there is a convention or event going on)

I'd say Discovery Green has both the Pavilions and Bayou Place beat. But you are right, it is a shame for a city of this size :(

I have lived downtown for 6 years now, I kind of love the fact that it is mostly quiet on the weekends (except when there is a convention or event going on)

See, even though you have the hussle and bussle 5 days a week, you really like the similar quietness that a suburb provides ;) To be honest, living in a noisy city is not that appealing. For downtown to be moderately busy would be best, I think.

Check it out, here are the Survey results:

1. Assuming there was convenient rail transit, when coming downtown would you be willing to use rail instead of driving?

A. All of the time (24.9%)

B. Much of the time (43.2%)

C. Occasionally (19.8%)

D. Rarely (7.1%)

E. Never (5.1%)

2. What does downtown Houston (within I-45 / I-10 / US-59 freeways) most need over the next ten years to increase its economic and development potential?

Select in order 1 (most important) to 7 (least important):

A. Office jobs and development (3)

B. Museums, cultural and performance space (2)

C. Hotels and convention space (1)

D. For-sale housing (5)

E. Rental housing (4)

F. Regional retail (restaurants, high fashion department stores/shops, urban entertainment) (6)

G. Neighborhood retail (grocery and drug stores, dry cleaners, etc.) (7)

3. Would you consider living in downtown Houston?

A. I am currently living downtown/planning to live downtown (7.7%)

B. I am currently living within walking distance of downtown/am planning to live within walking distance

of downtown (i.e. Midtown, East Downtown, Near Northside, 4th Ward, etc.) (14.1%)

C. I would consider living in or near downtown if items listed in question #2 were done (58.5%)

D. I would never consider living in or near downtown (19.3%)

http://centralhouston.org/Home/AboutCentralHouston/UpdateMeeting2106/2010AnnualMeeting/2010Survey/2010DowntownSurveyResu/

I wonder if the COH sees this and makes a bigger push for their other hotel?

To be honest, living in a noisy city is not that appealing.

Well that depends on the person. I love living in a urban, vibrant environment. But that's just me, I just like it when there's lots of people around. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Well that depends on the person. I love living in a urban, vibrant environment. But that's just me, I just like it when there's lots of people around. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The only time I mind the noise is when I'm trying to sleep. Other than that, I'm cool with it.

• The title was changed to Would You Live Downtown

Archived