2300 Block Of Grant St.

dbigtex56

Several years ago, this was the site of a metal warehouse, occupied by an artist. Tragically, he was killed, and the building was burned to the ground. All that remained was a large concrete slab.

A couple of days ago, the slab was removed. Any word on what might be built here? Townhomes seem most likely; I hope they'll enjoy having a bar on one side, and a carwash across the street.

Several years ago, this was the site of a metal warehouse, occupied by an artist. Tragically, he was killed, and the building was burned to the ground. All that remained was a large concrete slab.

A couple of days ago, the slab was removed. Any word on what might be built here? Townhomes seem most likely; I hope they'll enjoy having a bar on one side, and a carwash across the street.

Looks like the artist that died has a wikipedia

Robin Utterback

Yeah, given that proximity to the car wash and autozone, I can't imagine anyone building townhomes there. But then again this is Houston

There isn't anything showing up in the permit database for this address (I think it covers the last two years) so it either hasn't posted, there's no need for a permit, they're working without one, or they're working from an old one (the original demolition, maybe?). When was the building demolished?

For images, either a link or screen capture is all I know of:

59v53l.png

There isn't anything showing up in the permit database for this address (I think it covers the last two years) so it either hasn't posted, there's no need for a permit, they're working without one, or they're working from an old one (the original demolition, maybe?). When was the building demolished?

Per the Wikipedia article, the building burned on March 29 2007. My recollection is that the demolition occurred immediately thereafter.

I'm assuming that the slab has been destroyed. The site is now covered with approximately 4' of fill dirt, which contains chunks of blue-painted concrete. (Why? I have no idea.) At any rate, the street urchins who used to camp out there will have to find other digs.

A house on Converse backing up to this lot has been demolished within the last couple of days.`

edit: this would be the house directly opposite Fargo St.

Could it be C. Armstrong scooping up more land to make more parking lots?

Could it be C. Armstrong scooping up more land to make more parking lots?

Parking lot seems possible. The fill dirt has been leveled on the site of the slab, the adjacent vacant lot (behind Lola's) and the recently demolished house on Converse.

Hope they don't cut down the remaining mature trees on the block.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hope they don't cut down the remaining mature trees on the block.

An update:

The existing trees, which lie on the public right-of-way, are in the process of being smothered by a huge stack of dirt and debris. No kidding; they have it piled more than six feet high, and directly on the trees' trunks.

Was this done accidentally? I don't see how it could have been. And recently another tree's trunk has been buried under a pile of asphalt. Maybe the owners/developers of the lot are trying to avoid a fine for removing a mature tree from the public right-of-way by killing the trees first? At any rate, an eyesore has been created, and those responsible for creating it should be made to clean it up.

I urge people to call 311 and report this illegal dumping at the corner of Jackson Blvd and Grant St.

Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera; if someone in the neighborhood could post a shot, it would be appreciated.

edit: added quote.

It's actually the City of Houston Forester, Victor Cordova. I think I talekd to him a few years back when I called about some trees in Midtown being cut down. Turned out they had a permit, etc, but he thanked me for being concerned enough to call.

from http://www.greenhoustontx.gov/greenspace.html For more information, please contact Victor Cordova at 713.867.0379.

Call the City of Houston Arborist. They are usually pretty quick about going out to save trees.

It's actually the City of Houston Forester, Victor Cordova. I think I talekd to him a few years back when I called about some trees in Midtown being cut down. Turned out they had a permit, etc, but he thanked me for being concerned enough to call.

from http://www.greenhoustontx.gov/greenspace.html For more information, please contact Victor Cordova at 713.867.0379.

Appreciate the info.

The 311 operator gave me the direct number to Parks and Recreation's Forestry office; (832)395-7000

What especially galls me about this property is that the majority (maybe all) of the debris from the demolished slab has been hauled away; the dumping appears to have been done out of sheer spite.

Edit: City of Houston Forester's number has changed. It is now (832)395-8463

• The title was changed to 2300 Block Of Grant St.

Archived