Gov Perry Prayer At Gay Marriage Ban Ceremony

johncoby

Rick Perry will be offering a prayer prior to signing the gay marriage ban at a church in Dallas this Sunday. This is a sneak preview:

Oh Lord, let us prey.

Let us prey on the weak, the old, and the needy.

Let us prey on those who lack health insurance.

Let us prey on the children who lack education.

Let us prey on the teachers who lack decent wages.

Let us prey on homeowners who lack affordable insurance.

Let us prey on the veterans who lack services.

And Lord let the Republican Party of Texas, the GOP, Gods Own Party prey on those who are different, especially the homosexuals and forever ban the practice of joining in matrimony so as to protect the sanctity of marriage.

In your name we prey.

Rick Perry will be offering a prayer prior to signing the gay marriage ban at a church in Dallas this Sunday.  This is a sneak preview:

Oh Lord, let us prey.

Let us prey on the weak, the old, and the needy.

Let us prey on those who lack health insurance.

Let us prey on the children who lack education.

Let us prey on the teachers who lack decent wages.

Let us prey on homeowners who lack affordable insurance.

Let us prey on the veterans who lack services.

And Lord let the Republican Party of Texas, the GOP, Gods Own Party prey on those who are different, especially the homosexuals and forever ban the practice of joining in matrimony so as to protect the sanctity of marriage.

In your name we prey.

Maybe I'm by myself in this but I hate it when some people bring there political beliefs on this site. It causes nothing but strife.

There are big problems with both parties, stop slamming on one or the other.

Maybe I'm by myself in this but I hate it when some people bring there political beliefs on this site. It causes nothing but strife.

There are big problems with both parties, stop slamming on one or the other.

Really?

Political ignorance and apathy bother me. Those who do not (or will not) enter into political discourse don't deserve to live in a democracy.

I agree that much of what passes as debate (both in the media and online) often turns into shouting matches which neither enlighten nor persuade. Did anyone else here see Jon Stewart's "Crossfire" appearance? He summed up what many of us (regardless of our political leanings) have wanted to say for years; that shouting matches are meaningless, and that there is power in reasoned debate between reasonable people.

Easy? Never. Painless? Not always. Vital? You betcha.

Really?

Political ignorance and apathy bother me. Those who do not (or will not) enter into political discourse don't deserve to live in a democracy.

I agree that much of what passes as debate (both in the media and online) often turns into shouting matches which neither enlighten nor persuade. Did anyone else here see Jon Stewart's "Crossfire" appearance? He summed up what many of us (regardless of our political leanings) have wanted to say for years; that shouting matches are meaningless, and that there is power in reasoned debate between reasonable people.

Easy? Never. Painless? Not always. Vital? You betcha.

I certainly hope you are not insulting my character as an active American, both politically and in my community. As a former PFC in the Army I would say I qualify to be deserving of living in this great land/democracy. Where you get the idea that my statement was coming from an apethetic perspective shows you to be ignorant of whom your talking to.

This and the subsequent posts were the exact reason I made my initial statement. Maybe the majority here dissagree with me but I do not believe this forum is the the place to debate politics or religion. Even calmly. I gues ultimately that's the editors decision.

We all may be civilized individuals but it is virtually impossible for a multitude of people to have political debate/dialogue that doesn't end up causing serious strife. Any phsycology 101 course can teach you that.

I ask you to read the posts that are on this thread and tell me if you consider them productive Dialogue. I'm sure you will find them to be mean spirited with very little if any objective opinions. This was exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I come here to learn about architecture and the goings on in my city and state, not argue wth someone about there hatred for one party or the other.

By the way, I'm not a Rick Perry fan.

I will prey on his uselessness. Why does anyone even vote republican these days anyway?

The statement above is exactly what I'm talking about. How can anyone even begin dialogue with posts like this.

One more thing, I am not a Republican but to make a statement like above is amazingly biased. To believe that one party or the other is less or more corrupt shows a lack of understanding and an inability to be objective.

The statement above is exactly what I'm talking about. How can anyone even begin dialogue with posts like this.

One more thing, I am not a Republican but to make a statement like above is amazingly biased. To believe that one party or the other is less or more corrupt shows a lack of understanding and an inability to be objective.

Not to nit-pick, but that was a question, not a statement.

And since you have the opportunity, why not straighten everyone out? I'd be eager to hear what, exactly, is not being understood.

Here's a fact: President Bush's "town hall" participants are carefully screened. Only his most rabid, butt-kissing followers are allowed in. Opposing points of view, or hard questions simply are not allowed. This creates a false impression that tout le monde eagerly embrace his policies. And it bugs the hell out of me.

For some reason, it appears that you want to exercise similar control over this forum. If free speech bothers you so much then don't read this thread! To suggest that others shouldn't be allowed to express their (not 'there') opinions is the worst sort of arrogance. I'd even call it un-American, military service notwithstanding.

Like it or not, politics permeate life, including architecture and city planning. Long-time Houstonians with good memories can tell you about the heated battles regarding rail based mass transit fought on a political level. The same applies to height restrictions, zoning, historic preservation, transportation, flood control...need I go on?

I too joined this forum because of my interest in architecture. I too would like to see more posts which reflect others' interest in, and knowlege about, this subject. I want to become more educated on the subject, and to help others in a modest way when I can. (Incidentally, here's a great website describing architectural terms. It's been helpful to me when I want to use the correct word, rather than 'that thing...' )

The Way-Off Topic section was established as a place to blow off steam and exchange ideas not pertaining to architecture. Many Forum-ers have interesting ideas about architecture, and it follows that their remarks about other matters might also be of interest. If not...then don't read this thread!

Not to nit-pick, but that was a question, not a statement.

And since you have the opportunity, why not straighten everyone out? I'd be eager to hear what, exactly, is not being understood.

Here's a fact: President Bush's "town hall" participants are carefully screened. Only his most rabid, butt-kissing followers are allowed in. Opposing points of view, or hard questions simply are not allowed. This creates a false impression that tout le monde eagerly embrace his policies. And it bugs the hell out of me.

For some reason, it appears that you want to exercise similar control over this forum. If free speech bothers you so much then don't read this thread! To suggest that others shouldn't be allowed to express their (not 'there')

Well.

I expressed myself to the best of my ability in the above posts. You're welcome to reread them. I doubt if a PM would clarify matters, and I'm sure that you nor anyone else will persuade me to abandon my defense of the First Amendment.

All the best, and I'll see you on the "On Topic" pages. :)

Well.

I expressed myself to the best of my ability in the above posts. You're welcome to reread them. I doubt if a PM would clarify matters, and I'm sure that you nor anyone else will persuade me to abandon my defense of the First Amendment.

All the best, and I'll see you on the "On Topic" pages.  :)

See that's why there can be no dialogue between us regarding this matter. You have made broad brushed statements that more than deserve specifics. In other words I don't see your point, other than you hate Bush. That's not political dialogue.

As far as using my comments to get your point across regarding the First Amendment let me suggest something.

I would suggest that you read the First Amendment IN CONTEXT and HISTORICALLY before you begin to use it in defending your point. I could say many things regarding this but won't.

When and if you do, your more than welcome to send a PM and I will continue in a respectful dialogue with you. But please don't if we can't talk and learn from each other as it only leads to what happened in this thread.

Oh and as far as HG's Zell Miller comment. I have a great deal of respect for Mr Miller as he spoke his concience. I have no problem being considered an old school Democrat.

Gary, I wasn't comparing you to Zell Meller so much as I was comparing your challenge to dbigtex56 to Zell Miller's challenge of an old style gun duel with Chris Matthews during a discussion about politics. It was crude, I'm sorry.

I'll bit on the First Amendement reference tho. At what point in history does the constitution satisfy you? Maybe before suffrage, or a little further back perhaps, maybe when it allowed slavery?

Not accusing you of anything, just pointing out that the Constitution (and the amendements that go with it) was hatched up and written by the Founding Fathers to be a living document. Now, as it comes to this topic, Gov Perry indeed has a 1st Amendment protected right to talk whatever wherever he pleases. But, he also has the right to uphold the Constitution, even the part he may not agree with such as the separation of church and state. I believe he walks a fine line in this regard signing a Government Gay Marriage ban at a Church cafeteria.

I have a great deal of respect for Mr Miller as he spoke his concience.

If you truly believe that Zell Miller speaks his conscience, then I'm afraid you are terribly naive. As someone who grew up in GA during the gubinatorial tenure of Zell, please believe me when I say that his nickname of Zig-Zag Zell was well-deserved. The guy only speaks about what will make him popular with "the masses" (as he sees them), or about what he sees as an issue he can exploit in his favor. If that is what speaking one's conscience means to you, then, well, you have a different definition of the term than I do.

To me, however, Zell's "conscience" twists, turns and wavers more than a flag in a hurricane.