Rappelling From A TxDOT Or County Bridge

The title/description of the thread is the substance of the is the question. If the answer isn't the one I was looking for, what if I were tied off to the vehicle rather than the bridge?

The reason I ask is: Some bridges over rivers or streams do not provide for access to the riverbank, whether because the adjacent right of way is too steep, too muddy, or overgrown. This can be a thorn in my side for planning kayaking trips, and I think that this would be a fun and creative way to overcome the challenge.

To clarify: I'm not talking about rappelling from an interstate or other highly-visible bridge with a high traffic volume, or about rappelling from the upstream side of the bridge or into hazardous waters. That would be kind of dumb, I think. Also, I would get an assist from the person who drove me out there.

[bump]

Come on, Red. You know you wanna flex that creative legal muscle.

Sorry. I have absolutely no idea, and I didn't want to encourage you, then have you blame me. Worse, I didn't want you to call me collect from jail and blame me.

My instinct is to say it is probably legal if there are no signs stating otherwise, but I also know that is cold comfort when some hick with a badge is accusing you of being a turrist (that's hick for 'terrorist'). I'll ask around. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone who knows. You could also look in the Transportation Code....but that sux.

If I remember correctly, I did see signs prohibiting diving, and perhaps bungee jumping/rappelling off of the Pennybacker Bridge last year. I am not sure in other instances, but you know how paranoid people can be sometimes. I can't even take pictures of buildings without being accosted by security, so good luck trying to do "atypical" things, such as lowering your goods into the water like you stated. Just read the codes and laws, as suggested above.

just be sure to secure everything so it doesn't get lost with any rogue waves....again. :)

And at least he won't get a phone call telling him that he's been laid off... ;)

HE STARTED IT! :P

Sorry. I have absolutely no idea, and I didn't want to encourage you, then have you blame me. Worse, I didn't want you to call me collect from jail and blame me.

My instinct is to say it is probably legal if there are no signs stating otherwise, but I also know that is cold comfort when some hick with a badge is accusing you of being a turrist (that's hick for 'terrorist'). I'll ask around. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone who knows. You could also look in the Transportation Code....but that sux.

I think that I'd be more concerned about doing crazy outdoors stuff in urban areas around people that don't 'get it'. The folks I meet on trips in the boonies usually just wish that they could tag along.

But yeah, you're right. I should probably reference the Code just to be safe.

just be sure to secure everything so it doesn't get lost with any rogue waves....again. :)

And at least he won't get a phone call telling him that he's been laid off... ;)

HE STARTED IT! :P

Seeing as how you guys read and remember my harrowing tales, I'll take these as compliments.

Reading about my life is like watching "reality TV", only without being televised "reality".

Lol.

Take it exacly as that, Niche.

Truth be told, I'd like to join you, but my knee would raise some objections...including my not being able to apply for "wipeout".

But, my hair raising close calls with becoming a corpe isn't something I would desire in my dottage.

• The title was changed to Rappelling From A TxDOT Or County Bridge

Archived