TxDOT Eyes Inner-City Freight Lines

jt16

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3034689

By LUCAS WALL

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Texas transportation officials want $100 million a year to relocate railroad lines that clog traffic in Houston and other urban areas.

ADVERTISEMENT

The appropriation is among the Texas Department of Transportation's legislative requests, which also include a push to increase TxDOT's ability to finance toll roads.

Ric Williamson of Weatherford, chairman of the Texas Transportation Commission, which oversees TxDOT, acknowledged it's not going to be easy to ask for more money as the Legislature continues struggling with how to fund public education.

But the commission contends the benefits of rail relocation are so enormous

Anyone know of a map that shows all the industrial/commercial rail stops around Houston? I've always figured that most of the trains coming though Houston proper were moving between Galveston-Texas City-Pasadena and points beyond. Is it feasible to remove all this rail traffic to alternative routes around the city?

What about the warehouses out east or the industrail center NW (610 & 10 area)?

Good point Lowbrow. I pass by the warehouses along hempstead highway everyday coming home from work to my house in the loop. I don't think those warehouses want to have to relocated unless someone pays for it.

I think the city would designate some lines as necessary and major roads will have to be grade separated around the rail (either under or over). Some lines could be decommisioned and either torn up or renovated to handle light rail.

• The title was changed to TxDOT Eyes Inner-City Freight Lines

Archived