Local Food Challenges

I love Man vs Food, that show rocks. Not that I have anywhere near the size or capacity to do many food challenges, but are there any here locally? I've been to a place outside of Alexandria, LA where if you finish 60 oz of steak it's free and you get your name on the wall, and I've seen tons on TV that do something similar. What local places offer similar fun challenges?

I love Man vs Food, that show rocks. Not that I have anywhere near the size or capacity to do many food challenges, but are there any here locally? I've been to a place outside of Alexandria, LA where if you finish 60 oz of steak it's free and you get your name on the wall, and I've seen tons on TV that do something similar. What local places offer similar fun challenges?

If you finish a bottle of Hornitos (as advertised on HAIF) in a single sitting, I'll clean up the vomit for free.

If you finish a bottle of Hornitos (as advertised on HAIF) in a single sitting, I'll clean up the vomit for free.

Awesome. I might just take you up on this. Just have to wait til I've not eaten anything. Soon. :)

Little Bitty Burger Barn on Pinemont used to have what they called the Big Ass Challenge; now they have the Double Dare Challenge.

Nice. I need to go here regardless of the challenge part. I know I can eat 2 lbs of burger, I used to do that regularly. If all I get is a tshirt I'll just order normal stuff.

Considering we "do it bigger" in Texas I'm surprised there isn't a long list of food challenges in town.

Mel's in Tomball has the megal-Mel burger challenge, something like 3 pounds of hamburger, 1 pound of bacon, 1/2 pound cheese with fixings and fries. Under two hours and your name is on the wall. Lowest time I saw on the wall was nine minutes.

Here is the Ray's Franks one.

1) One (1) person challenge.

2) No competitive eaters!

3) 30 minutes to finish all food.

4) Once the challenge begins, contestant cannot use the bathroom.

5) Challenger must state all food allergen(s) prior to preparation of the King Kong Burger.

6) Winner will receive the King Kong for free, King Kong t-shirt, photo on the wall of fame.

7) Loser will have their photo placed on the wall of shame, inside the restroom area, a $25 bill and an upset stomach.

King Kong Burger Challenge consist of:

-Five (5) 1/2 lb 100% Angus beef patties.

-One (1) 1/2 lb black bean and rice patty.

-Each layer of patty will have different toppings (depending on your food allergen and whether you qualify to take the challenge).

-Basket of fries & basket of onion rings.

-Drink of choice.

Lame, pic on the wall and a T-shirt.

That's a good one, I would fail with the fries and the bean patty. Everything else is doable. Now I just have to decide whether to tell my wife or not when attempting any of these challenges.

I'm not fond of the bean patty myself, but it is seems fairly doable as well.

I'd suggest upping the insurance before you do, though.

Don't tell her when you do it, surprise her with the shirt.

You'll need the energy to run away from her.

I've got a personal challenge for you all.

Take a Kroger-brand rising-crust pepperoni pizza, top it with a link of cooked Andy Garcia-brand chorizo and three slices of cooked and crumbled bacon, and top that with sea salt and cayenne pepper. Cook it. Drizzle with Sriracha sauce. Also fill any air pockets you find in the crust with Sriracha sauce. Also dip slices in the mix of chorizo and bacon fat with each successive bite until all the grease is consumed.

Drown it with a 40oz King Cobra malt beverage. Chase that with two shots of Kentucky Deluxe (20% blended whiskey, 80% neutral grain spirits).

In the spirit of HAIF-iness, I call it 'The Ugly Brown Split-Level Duplex (with Multiple Code Violations)'.

There is no reward, only the personal satisfaction. It's the sort of thing that makes white people feel better about themselves...a symbol of the embrace of overindulgent quasi-ethnic poverty.

I've got a personal challenge for you all.

Take a Kroger-brand rising-crust pepperoni pizza, top it with a link of cooked Andy Garcia-brand chorizo and three slices of cooked and crumbled bacon, and top that with sea salt and cayenne pepper. Cook it. Drizzle with Sriracha sauce. Also fill any air pockets you find in the crust with Sriracha sauce. Also dip slices in the mix of chorizo and bacon fat with each successive bite until all the grease is consumed.

Drown it with a 40oz King Cobra malt beverage. Chase that with two shots of Kentucky Deluxe (20% blended whiskey, 80% neutral grain spirits).

In the spirit of HAIF-iness, I call it 'The Ugly Brown Split-Level Duplex (with Multiple Code Violations)'.

There is no reward, only the personal satisfaction. It's the sort of thing that makes white people feel better about themselves...a symbol of the embrace of overindulgent quasi-ethnic poverty.

Aspects of this are intriguing. Other parts, like the grease dip and the King Cobra, are a bit repulsive.

I think next time you attempt this, or anyone attempts this, the entire process should be documented online. And Editor should sponsor some kind of prize for it - like a HAIF branded stress ball or a free ride in an ambulance.

I'm running by the store on the way home from the office tonight. I think I may attempt some version of this. The chorizo, bacon and pepperoni toppings sound pretty tasty together. I may use Valentina salsa instead of Sriracha though. And if I top half of it with pickles, my pregnant wife may want a slice or two. Thanks for the dinner idea, Niche!

Aspects of this are intriguing. Other parts, like the grease dip and the King Cobra, are a bit repulsive.

I think next time you attempt this, or anyone attempts this, the entire process should be documented online. And Editor should sponsor some kind of prize for it - like a HAIF branded stress ball or a free ride in an ambulance.

I'm running by the store on the way home from the office tonight. I think I may attempt some version of this. The chorizo, bacon and pepperoni toppings sound pretty tasty together. I may use Valentina salsa instead of Sriracha though. And if I top half of it with pickles, my pregnant wife may want a slice or two. Thanks for the dinner idea, Niche!

I'll cut you a break on using Valentina sauce. Sriracha sauce has the advantage of being pasty enough to reliably fill up the little air pockets in the crust without spilling out, but consuming a whole pizza's worth of it is not a good idea for anybody who shares a bed. Its a good way to commemorate the Bhopal disaster...if you get my drift.

Oh yuck...yum...I dunno!

This challenge (outside of Houston) must have been made for me:

http://www.meltbaran...melt-challenge/

I think Houston's all talk when it comes to binge eating..

Oh that one looks awesome. I know I couldn't finish it, but it sounds like fun to try with a few other people.

I remember reading or hearing about some challenge that involved a 5k run and krispy kreme donuts. Something about a combined scored based on time and number of donuts eaten, with there being a minimum number you had to eat at the beginning, end, or halfway point. Hmm. Sounds like a college campus thing. I don't feel like googling it right now, but I might do that challenge.

.... but consuming a whole pizza's worth of it is not a good idea for anybody who shares a bed. Its a good way to commemorate the Bhopal disaster...if you get my drift.

or air drift.

Thanks for the laugh niche.

Now I need to make sure my kid's cat is now coke free.

Kenny and Ziggy's apparently has a challenge, too: "eight-decker rye-bread sandwich with corned beef, pastrami, turkey, roast beef, salami, tongue, Swiss cheese, coleslaw, Russian dressing and red sweet peppers"

Reward? A piece of cheesecake.

This article mentions it plus the ones from Mel's and Little Bitty Burger Barn mentioned above:

http://www.29-95.com/restaurants/story/man-vs-food-houstons-eating-challenges

Kenny and Ziggy's apparently has a challenge, too: "eight-decker rye-bread sandwich with corned beef, pastrami, turkey, roast beef, salami, tongue, Swiss cheese, coleslaw, Russian dressing and red sweet peppers"

Reward? A piece of cheesecake.

This article mentions it plus the ones from Mel's and Little Bitty Burger Barn mentioned above:

http://www.29-95.com...ting-challenges

$38, F me!! That's why I don't go to that place. The mega mel sounds good, and easy - 2 hours for only 2 pounds of meat? I did go to itty bitty burger barn today, but didn't take the challenge. That's something I'll have to do with guy friends, not 2 kids in tow. My favorite driving range is right there by it, good way to work up an appetite before the challenge.

I remember reading or hearing about some challenge that involved a 5k run and krispy kreme donuts. Something about a combined scored based on time and number of donuts eaten, with there being a minimum number you had to eat at the beginning, end, or halfway point. Hmm. Sounds like a college campus thing. I don't feel like googling it right now, but I might do that challenge.

I have just the thing for you.

A 20 mile bike race from Katy Mills Mall, and every donut you eat shaves 5 minutes off your time. No max donut limit. Last year's winner ate 38 donuts, I think. Another guy supposedly ate 60something but was disqualified when they caught him dumping the donuts. It was a ton of fun, though I only managed ten donuts.

http://www.tourdedoughnut.com/

I think it is normally in November.

I have just the thing for you.

A 20 mile bike race from Katy Mills Mall, and every donut you eat shaves 5 minutes off your time. No max donut limit. Last year's winner ate 38 donuts, I think. Another guy supposedly ate 60something but was disqualified when they caught him dumping the donuts. It was a ton of fun, though I only managed ten donuts.

http://www.tourdedoughnut.com/

I think it is normally in November.

What's the registration fee? The website was a bit lean on details. I already asked permission to do this...too bad it's Shipley donuts, they might be my least favorite.

I think it was like 20 bucks. It's a supported ride with water, gatorade, portapotties and snacks. They have the longer routes available too.

Edit: Last year it was $25 before 10/31 and $35 on the day of the race, and it's 28 miles for the donut competition or 55 mile route just for fun. Source: http://www.tourdedou...nut%20flyer.pdf

So $20 includes the ride and all the donuts I can eat? Score! Someone remind me in a few months, I'm definitely gonna try to do it, with kids in tow.

Archived