Well, I was hoping that the perpetual puddle outside the house was caused by a leak on the "city"side of the water meter, but the city worker who came out today said it's on my side. Ah well. Have any of you Height-sters worked with a plumber recently that you can recommend? I'm not sure if I need a special plumber since the problem is outside, but I guess they would let me know. Thanks.....

I'll second the endorsement of Abacus. Very professional and affordable. ARS is also very professional, but pricey IMHO.

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. City said it's my problem. Showed me that my water meter was still running (albeit very slowly) even with the house not using any water. Abacus found the problem right next to the meter where the sprinkler system had been patched into our line to the house and fixed it no problem. Showed me that the water meter had no movement afterward. But the water in the street did not go away after a week. Called the city out again, and they left a note saying it's still not their problem. Had to call them *again*, and this time they sent a supervisor who figured out that the leak *was* their problem in the main under the street. They're coming to fix it tomorrow. Strange to get two leaks at the same time, but maybe the ground shifted and affected both pipes.

Lesson: don't take the city guy's word for it, and watch your meter for a few mins with all water in the house turned off. If it's not moving, then the leak is on the city side.

Another option: Nick's

http://www.nicksplumbing.com/

They've done some basic stuff for us. They recently fixed an outdoor problem for a neighbor. They're efficient, professional, local.

Nick's always has something amusing on their sign, that's enough to get my endorsement. Too bad I can't remember any right now...probably due to drinking out of too many aluminum cans in my life.

If you have any do-it-yourself talent whatsoever...and a few hours to spare...you could locate and fix the leak yourself. The water line from the meter to your house is very likely PVC. Once the leak is identified, you can cut out the bad fitting or pipe and glue in a replacement. You could also use a quick repair coupling, though glue is a better long term solution. Make sure you use Schedule 40 PVC.

The problem with Village (and maybe Nick's?) is that they are NOT going to give you a free estimate, though they will apply the fee towards their work if you pick them. I can't remember the exactly amount ($70?), but forget that. You might want to check out some of the online reviews

I actually used Roto Rooter for a couple of jobs lately, including a leak outside. They actually give a free estimate - I think it might even be a standard price for repairing an outside leak, so they might be able to give you a price over the phone. Anyway, they honesly seemed a little high, but if you go to the website you can get a $30 coupon. Can't hurt to give them a call, anyway. I had never dealt with a plumber and was sure I was going to get robbed, so it's nice to at least get a price upfront without worrying about losing $70

Thanks, everyone. Hopefully, the problem doesn't get worse while i try to figure out who to use :wacko:

I've read some reviews for Nick's, Village, and Abacus ... like many service reviews, it's hard to get anything out of it since you have lots of glowing reviews and then the "they charged me $200 to replace a $3 piece in 5-10 minutes" reviews. Maybe I'll pick the names out of a hat.

Red, I had thought about doing it myself but given my lack of experience and the fact that the leak is somewhere underground, I might leave this one to the pros.

Another recommendation for Nick's - I used them to replace a valve in my shower, and they stuck by what they quoted me for the job even though it took them a lot longer than they'd expected labor-wise. I recommended them to my parents for a job at their house, and they were happy with the service and the price as well.

In the Heights, there's a good chance the line form the meter to the house is galvanized, which isn't a DIY repair unless you are pretty experienced. If the line is PVC, it's been replaced at some point.

Abacus just replaced our sewer line, and did a great job. Very professional, clean, and reasonably priced. The sewer is costing far less than the driveway we had to rip up (we didn't have to do the entire drive to get to the sewer, but it needed replacement so we went ahead and tore out all of the concrete)

In the Heights, there's a good chance the line form the meter to the house is galvanized, which isn't a DIY repair unless you are pretty experienced. If the line is PVC, it's been replaced at some point.

And most lines in the Heights have been replaced. If you have a new water meter, you have a new pvc pipe from the meter to the house.

The house is 9 years old, so it'll be PVC.

I ended up calling Roto Rooter, mostly because they do not charge to come out and make an estimate (they also had mostly positive reviews and there's the shout out here). We have 7 houses all clustered together with a shared courtyard, and he thought the leak was on the line next to ours, anyway, so it's good that i didn't have to pay anyone $50 to come out and tell me that. He estimated $290 for the job. Dunno if that's high, low, or average, but it's not as much as I was afraid it could cost.

The house is 9 years old, so it'll be PVC.

I ended up calling Roto Rooter, mostly because they do not charge to come out and make an estimate (they also had mostly positive reviews and there's the shout out here). We have 7 houses all clustered together with a shared courtyard, and he thought the leak was on the line next to ours, anyway, so it's good that i didn't have to pay anyone $50 to come out and tell me that. He estimated $290 for the job. Dunno if that's high, low, or average, but it's not as much as I was afraid it could cost.

Yeah, that's about what it cost me (after coupon), and that seems to be their standard for fixing a leak outside the house - it seemed high to me but I was in a bind. At the same time, I can't image a plumber coming out and doing that kind of work for much less, especially when they charge $50 to just show up. At least now you have a number to compare to... Anyway, make sure you use that coupon

They wound up charging me about the same to change out our shower valve and install new fixtures, and the guy was there for several hours.

Anyway, I was happy with their work both times I've called them

If you have a new water meter, you have a new pvc pipe from the meter to the house.

Nope. When the city came out in 2009 to replace my meter due to a leak. they broke the plumbing to my house and were forced to replace a short section cause they made the same assumption.

Nope. When the city came out in 2009 to replace my meter due to a leak. they broke the plumbing to my house and were forced to replace a short section cause they made the same assumption.

Your post makes absolutely no sense, but then they usually don't. At any rate, the original poster stated that his house was built in 1995, so it is going to be PVC.

By the way, if you haven't called anyone yet, my plumber friend said that his company, Vossler Plumbing, would likely fix a small leak this one for $180-250. (713) 688-2304

• The title was changed to Water Leak

Archived