Variety Fair 5 & 10 At 2415 Rice Blvd.

readam

:( Just read that the Village institution Variety Fair will be closing down within the next 90 days...what a shame, what a great place of fond memories, just another addition to the dwindling number of Houston landmarks that come to a sad end.

Yep, and we can't really blame Sonoma, or predatory rent, or any of that stuff. It's just run its course. Sad, though. It was one of the last vestiges of what made the Village special. Are there any other survivors? British Isles is the only one I can think of.

Yep, and we can't really blame Sonoma, or predatory rent, or any of that stuff. It's just run its course. Sad, though. It was one of the last vestiges of what made the Village special. Are there any other survivors? British Isles is the only one I can think of.

How long has the coin shop been down on the corner? Seems I remember it from the mid 80s. But, my mind is fuzzy from too many 3 for 1 happy hours at the Caribana back then. It was right next to Variety Fair.

My friends and I used to ride our bikes over to G&G Model Shop to buy rocket motors in the mid 80s. A stop at World Toy and Half Price Books would ensure a worthwhile trip before heading home. Good times.

I don't remember Variety Fair though. Hmm.

I'm going to miss the old five and dime. I used to go there when I was a kid and used to take my own kids there. You could spend all day browsing through the store. Guess all the "dollar stores" kind of helped kill this store. 

Good coverage of this story on channel 11 yesterday.

http://www.khou.com/news/neighborhood-news/Rice-Village-Variety-Shop-Closing-After-Six-Decades-89961122.html

We learn that a lot of things have conspired to kill the old 5 and dime stores.

:( Just read that the Village institution Variety Fair will be closing down within the next 90 days...what a shame, what a great place of fond memories, just another addition to the dwindling number of Houston landmarks that come to a sad end.

Never heard of it. What type of shop is/was it?

• The title was changed to Variety Fair To Close Its Doors
  • The title was changed to Variety Fair 5 & 10 At 2415 Rice Blvd.