Penzeys Spices At 516 W. 19th St.

Jessica N

Got the following post card in the mail from Penzeys spices this week: (Penzeys is on W19th street in the same strip mall as Collinas, Thai Spice)

"New Bigger Store! Same Location!

Penzeys Spices in Houston is undergoing a transformation......

Our Houston store will close at 5PM Sat 4/10 and reopen Sat 4/17 at 9 AM. During that week our crew of painters, carpenters, and electricians will give the store a fresh new look. We're enhancing the atmosphere where cooks feel warm....."

This is good to hear. I really like Penzeys but it usually isn't too crowded and I always thought for having only one store in Houston they would get more business being in a busier part of town (Rice Village, Kirby, etc).

I wonder if the 'New Bigger Store' comment means they are taking over some of the empty space next door (I can't remember are they next to an empty store?)

Anyways can't wait to see the new place.

I wonder if the 'New Bigger Store' comment means they are taking over some of the empty space next door (I can't remember are they next to an empty store?)

There is a small space between Penzey's and the Pie Shoppe. I saw contractors going back and forth between the empty space and exisiting space a couple of weeks ago, so it would appear that Penzey's will take over that space.

I was in Penzey's on Friday of last week.

There's a building permit up in Penzey's name and materials staged for the space immediately adjacent. It looks like it'll expand their square footage by about 50% or so.

That leaves one vacancy in that strip center, as the space between (the expanded) Penzey's and Dessert Shoppe is still for lease.

In an unrelated rumor, last time I was getting my hair cut at Doug's, he mentioned that someone had offered to buy a piece of antique butcher block he had in the shop as part of a planned butcher shop to open on 19th. I have no idea if this will ever come to fruition or not, but it'd be nice to have a good butcher in the neighborhood.

• The title was changed to Penzeys Spices At 516 W. 19th St.

Archived